Let's just get something straight about 1975.

by WTFBBQPWNT 170 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

All these time lines and guessing games the society has been playing since it’s conception is like a never ending chain of continuous sin that few seem to want to acknowledge.

I think that is probably the largest of all turn offs for me as a jw. Even as a teen I knew it was wrong and it bothered me. It never failed to amaze me how often and how candidly I was brushed off when ever I would bring it up. BOGGLES THE MIND.

I recall one time I asked a simple little question about the society’s timeline regarding Adam and Eve. I asked how do we know God isn’t counting from the moment Eve took that first bite from the tree of knowledge? OR When Adam shared it? What year was THAT? The response I got was pretty stupid. “Uh…because the governing body are the ones that figured it out and they are spiritually directed to do so and we’re not.” OH REALLY? All I could respond with was: If THAT’S true then why are they trying to figure it out at all?

• astro
    astro

Typical ignorance again from the guy who writes about getting 1975 'straight'.Honey,I was there along with a lot of older folks here.

It was stressed in the talks,experiences were gone over and over about those selling their homes etc.I remember stay alive till 75...

It was stated in many ways and forms thru talks etc.Every baptized person understood 1975 to be THE year.

You weren't there.You're obviously very young........one thing you are consistent about is making a fool of yourself. lol

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Sigh. Its like people who deny the holocaust, and then everyone else has to go to extreme lengths to prove that it actually did happen, like compiling 9 hours of video footage (SHOAH) of interviews with holocaust survivors to make sure its all recorded before those guys all die out and then everyone can pretend it didnt happen.

Why would hundreds of thousands of people put off jobs houses education families if that particular idea hadnt been actively encouraged? How can you even begin to imagine that the leadership arent culpable?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

According to the Watchtower,

*** w80 3/15 p. 17 pars. 5-6 Choosing the Best Way of Life ***

With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting — in Freedom of the Sons of God, ... considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. ... there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, ... stated: "If anyone has been disappointed ... it was ... that his own understanding was based on wrong premises." In saying "anyone," The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

If the publishers of the Watchtower acknowledge that "persons having to do with the publication of the information" were responsible for the "buildup of hopes centered on" 1975, why can't everyone else?

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Well, R6Laser..."cat got your tongue" ??

• JT
    JT

"But I'm going to go back to my own point and mention that this was not said by the wts, it was mentioned by a speaker who put his own words into it."

##########

If a DO, Elder or CO stood on the platform or a pioneer on a bible study said:

"The 144,000 is not a literal number"

you your opinion what do you think would happen to that person?

How long do you think the Society would allow any jw to put those statements out-

If your purpose is to convince a dye hard jw that the wt is wrong, then you have truly failed to grasp what it means to be in a high control group-

you never prove anything to a man who doens't want to beleive it- don't you know that

what do you think double think double speak and congnitive Dissonance is??

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

OnTheWayOUT..Check out alanF`s post...OUTLAW

• CatOnARoof
    CatOnARoof

If they never claimed it, then why even mention a certain year? What kind of statement is that: The world can end in 1975! Why '75? (Why only 75?) That seems to be a bit more than general guessing. It sounds more like certainty when dates and numbers are involved.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I'm late to this party and the question has been adequately answered. But of course that's never stopped me before!

Two points:

• You will not find a clear statement in the WTS publications saying "If you don't convert and become a Jehovah's Witnesses PDQ, you will be killed by the Great God of Love, Jehovah." But any JW knows that that is the clear message from the WTS - no question. The statements that could be collected from the publications supporting this dogma would fill a hundred pages on this forum. The 1975 debacle is no different.
    • Even more telling - knowing that 1975 was ballyhooed in the congos (duh!) WHY DID THE WTS WAIT UNTIL AFTER 1975 TO ANSWER TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE? If there were a rumor circulating among the R& F that celebrating Christmas is now OK, do you think the Society would have waited nearly ten years to clear it up?
  • binadub
    binadub

I just posted this in another thread, and I'll copy it here since it is on topic:
    In a thread requesting if anyone had a copy of CoC because the lady thought there was a WT quote stating that Armageddon would occur in 1975, I wrote the following:

==============================

Well here are some things they did say in the publications that were pretty definitive:

In the book "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God"--the book that started the frenzie:

Page 28-29, paragraph 41 says:
    Since the time of Ussher intensive study of Bible chronology has been carried on. In this twentieth century an independent study has been carried on that does not blindly follow some traditional chronological calculations of Christendom, and the published timetable resulting from this independent study gives the date of man's creation as 4026 B.C.E. According to this truthworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E.

Now maybe they didn't come right out and say Armageddon would occur in 1975, but every JW in the organization at that time knew that the Watchtower teaching was that the seventh period of a thousand years was to begin after Armageddon in the "new earth."

After 1975 when the end did not occur, Fred Franz blamed the JWs for jumping to that conclusion, charging that while they knew Adam was created in 4026, they could not know how many years after Adam she was created, and the sixth thousand year period could not begin until after she was created. Yet, in the "Aid to Bible Understanding" dictionary of JW beliefs (later replaced by the "Insight" volumes):
    Page 333 states that Adam at age 130 had a son, Seth.
    Page 538 states that Eve at age 130 had a son, Seth.

Watchtower, 5/1/68:
    ". . . it is logical he would create Eve soon after Adam, perhaps just a few weeks or months later in the same year, 4026."

The Awake! on October 8, 1966 on page 19 makes this statement:
    "In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existenance and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975"

Page 51 of the "Eternal Purpose" publication describes the 'Evening' of seventh creative 'day' begins, 4026 B.C.E.

But here is the Watchtower reference you might be referring to:
    "Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly . . . . It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.

So, no, the Watchtower never actually said: "Armageddon will occur in 1975"--but they the same as said it. And they knew their flock believed it, but they never corrected it. Course you have to realize that once the "Life Everlasting" book was published, there was a frenzie to get on the good side of Jehovah and the money the WTS was raking in from the enthusiastic publishers was not to be interferred with. Growth was the sign of Jehovah's blessings, always.

~Ros

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit