what would be "proof" of God's existance to someone?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 90 Replies latest jw friends

• dido
    dido

heathen -where is your experience as would like to read it?

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

This is the kind of nonsense you get on 'ghost hunter shows'. Keep your eye on the presenters finger on the glass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGzoVkbNsH8

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

OK skeptic...

#1 I can't stand any other show other then Ghosthunters.

#2 Watch Ghosthunters for a season and then comment on it. If you've done that, then fine. But so far, I've yet to see one person who has actually wathced the show for a season and be able to say anything too terrible about it. As I said on another thread, these guys debunk the cases more often then not.

I tend to think that most of those shows are hokey pieces of junk.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

While I was walking up the stairs behind my wife the other night she started talking. I assumed for some reason she was talking to a cat. I tried to look past the movement of her trouser legs and caught a glimpse of the rear and legs of a ginger cat. In the next step there was nothing there. Nothing appeared on the landing. There was no cat.

Now it seems most people on this thread would conclude that I had seen a ghost cat. But I saw no cat. My brain expected a cat and filled in the detail. But it seems if I were more like most people on this thread, I would be on this forum days later telling an unintentionally embellished story of ghost cats in my apartment building. I would say "you cant tell me what I did and didn't experience, I know what I saw", but that doesn't change reality.

If any of you would like to put your money where your mouth is (figuratively), I can help arrange for a local skeptical organization, who are experienced in investigating and getting to the bottom of these kinds of matters, to take a look into your reported phenomena. We can investigate it properly and come up with the proof of ghosts and spirit-goings-on the whole world has been waiting for... what do you say?

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I would be on this forum days later telling an unintentionally embellished story of ghost cats in my apartment building. I would say "you cant tell me what I did and didn't experience, I know what I saw", but that doesn't change reality.

So basically if it doesn't measure up to what you think is normal or scientifically valid and scrutinized people are either liars or crazy?

whatever

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

BlackSwan - you highlighted 'unintentionally embellished'.

It's a fact that stories become embellished over time. Memory is not like a tape-recorder faithfully recording details of events to be replayed in the future, it is reconstructive. The longer time goes on the more a person's memory of an event changes. This happens to me, you, everyone. I wasn't trying to insinuate anything personal.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    So basically if it doesn't measure up to what you think is normal or scientifically valid and scrutinized people are either liars or crazy?

I assume this is a reference to my response to free2beme's telepathy claims?

Pseudoscience is dangerous. My conscience cannot allow multiple claims of telepathic powers to go unchecked, because this promotes pseudoscience. People may have a right to deceive themselves, but they do not have a right to deceive others.

If someone wants to make such claims, why should they not be challenged to provide evidence? Truth cannot hurt truth.

And scientific validity has nothing to do with what I think is normal. It's independant of the subjective opinion of me, you and everyone else. It's specifically designed that way, to stop the credulous spoiling our understanding of the world.

• skyking
    skyking

Skeptic2 People may have a right to deceive themselves. This is true but maybe your are doing the samething by assuming a report or an eye witness is lying or a person remembers things differrently than it really happened.

You might be deceiving your self.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

God would have to take me out for a beer..On another Planet..He`s not allowed to use a Space Ship or a Dodge Caravan..And I want appy`s with my beer..Then he has to send me home very wealthy...OUTLAW

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Skeptic:

It's a fact that stories become embellished over time. Memory is not like a tape-recorder faithfully recording details of events to be replayed in the future, it is reconstructive. The longer time goes on the more a person's memory of an event changes. This happens to me, you, everyone. I wasn't trying to insinuate anything personal.

I am not disagreeing with this.

This is what bothers me:

But it seems if I were more like most people on this thread, I would be on this forum days later telling an unintentionally embellished story of ghost cats in my apartment building. I would say "you cant tell me what I did and didn't experience, I know what I saw", but that doesn't change reality.

Just to me, with all due respect, which I still honestly believe you deserve because you have brought some great insight to this board, I can't believe you need someone to explain to you why that was uncalled for.

I genuinely enjoy your posts, well, usually . I think the world Needs hard skeptics to keep us looking for proof.

(sorry this took so long, had to put kids to bed. Now I'm off to watch harry potter (something about a goblet) and finish my beer)(have a nice nite skeptic)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit