Issuing a Challenge to Atheists and Unbelievers

by The wanderer 149 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Who is this third witness everyone keeps refering too?

The Wanderer

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

This has evolved into a strange thread that I didn't quite expect. As an atheist, I didn't deny the existence of god, I just said I refuse to believe in god, like I refuse to believe in Billy Goat Gruff under the bridge, until I see some proof. I'm not going to waste my time worrying about Billy Goat Gruff until he makes an appearance. Same with god, the paranormal, spirits, demons, etc.

All the product of lively imaginations, I think. I'm reminded of the fact that when I used to believe in the spirit world, I could, at times, see evidence of it, though I'd hardly be ready to present that evidence in any sort of court. But, the moment I stopped believing in any of it, poof, it all just disappeared. I'll gladly spend the night in any haunted house you might recommend, and sleep as soundly as possible.

And if the paranormal refuses to perform on demand, say for James Randi or anyone similar, why does it seem to prefer to perform for the "not very tightly wrapped," as jaguarbass mentioned? Randi might be a clown, but he sure makes more sense than any of his counterparts! One of my favorite writers, Colin Wilson, made quite a study of this idea, and found only one case worthy of following up on. Wilson also wrote some interesting stuff about his contacts with JWs.

I'm reminded of a Robin Williams' comedy routine, about how NO nuclear scientests get abducted by space aliens. It's usually Bubba and his cousin, abducted while bass fishing. Not that there's anything wrong with bass fishing or fishermen. I enjoy it myself. Just have never been approached by aliens.... This thread reminds me of when I was young, and camping with the Boy Scouts, scaring ourselves with stories when we were trying to go to sleep.

Sorry. There is some really scary stuff on this earth. NONE of it comes from the paranormal.

S4

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Thank you for clarfying your position.
    It makes sense.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• skyking
    skyking

Leolaia One thing I have noticed is you are hooked to this forum and get a natural high smelling your type writer. I do not agree with most of what Bushby's says but when you take all the books I mentioned, combine the research you get a better picture of the Bible and the reason the people in the past wrote it. The only way one can determine if Bushby is correct is by reading his books. There is a lot of information one can get by reading his work.

I bet with all your knowledge you could write a book that would sell millions. I would differently read your book if you wrote one.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Discussion Board Friends:

The threads are designed to make an individual think;
    to leave the possibility open that God may or may not
    exist.

As mentioned in my prior post if diabolic spirits do
    exist is there the possiblity that there are good ones
    as well?

Regarding the issue of being closed-minded reverts to an
    individual who has no proof of a certain position and takes
    an absolute stand on a matter without leaving the possibilites
    open for other perspectives or viewpoints.

This is one reason that I am no longer one of Jehovah's
    Witnesses.

Everyone has a different opinion of course and that
    is why we discuss these issues.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I thought the threads were designed to make me laugh. I've had it wrong all along!!! ;)

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I'm reminded of a Robin Williams' comedy routine, about how NO nuclear scientests get abdu c ted by space aliens. It's usually Bubba and his cousin, abducted while bass fishing. Not that there's anything wrong with bass fishing or fishermen. I enjoy it myself. Just have never been approached by aliens....

I don't know if i was supposed to laugh when I read this, but this was funny and quite true.

Robin Williams is so cool.

• chappy
    chappy

Does anyone accept the possibility of life after death yet doesn't believe in God? Since the subject of this thread is belief or non belief in God and if you can only relate life after death with God then check out the attached link. The subject matter is life after death (a complete book) The author presents it as empical proof. I read the entire book and, taken as a whole is pretty dang convincing. If you just gloss over it you probably wont get a lot from it, however if you'll take the time to read the whole thing you will be impressed. It's not a bunch of religious mumb-jumbo; not religious at all. The site you get to is promoting sale of the book, however you can download it in it's entirity. The one for sale is the latest revision and the downloadable one is the prior one.

If you're able to take the time to read the entire book, I'd really like to know what you think. I think it will make a fascinating subject for discussion here It's around 150 pages with a ton of references.

chappy

http://www.victorzammit.com/book/

• zagor
    zagor
    Leolaia One thing I have noticed is you are hooked to this forum and get a natural high smelling your type writer. I do not agree with most of what Bushby's says but when you take all the books I mentioned, combine the research you get a better picture of the Bible and the reason the people in the past wrote it. The only way one can determine if Bushby is correct is by reading his books. There is a lot of information one can get by reading his work.

Skyking,
    I hope you don't refer to reading books as doing a research!!! At best that would be only a literature review, assuming literature you are reviewing is peer-reviewed and accpeted. When you call something research that implies much more work than merely reading someone's interpretations - that's is how you become a JW not a "scholar".

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Re: 'the possibility that God exists'.

I-R-R-E-L-E-V-A-N-T, to me.

It is an inexcusable indulgence of time and energy to discover and define an entity that may or may not exist, but which -- if existing, and if existing with the degree of potency claimed by adepts -- does not definitively reveal itself to all those concerned, i.e. humankind, without ambiguity, lapses of inaccuracy, and wide margins for error. That is not the behaviour of one who wishes to be known. Persons who probe, prod and analyse in an attempt to know someone who does not volunteer/wish to be known are called 'Court-appointed Psychiatrists'; they are paid to do so.

If God needs a shrink to reveal his true nature to the court-of-mankind, then God's irrelevance as a god is as good as concluded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit