Issuing a Challenge to Atheists and Unbelievers

by The wanderer 149 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    Questions for the Atheists and Unbelievers

Understandably, individuals who have left the organization did so for
    personal and more than likely good reasons. And after reading the
    commentary directed toward the Watchtower, laced with white-hot
    hatred, this brings us to an important question about beliefs.

Being One of Jehovah's Witnesses we believed in God

Now, that you are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses without a belief
    in God, and associated with an organization that has a structured belief
    system, does that justify a disbelief in God or the supernatural?

Recent Show Featuring Paranormal Investigations

Being an atheist or an unbeliever how do you explain the thousands
    of paranormal phenomena that are well documented in nearly every
    country in the world?
    If you have no belief in God, then explain, why
    things that cannot be seen or explained with the naked eye exists
    in this world?

Cannot deny the possibility that God does exist

According to my way of thinking, to deny the possibility that
    God exists is a closed-minded position. Simply, because if
    paranormal activity can be proven, who is to say that a high-
    er being does not exist.

Please add your commentary to this open-minded discussion.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Oh, boy

~grabs popcorn and ringside seat~

LOL

• Gadget
    Gadget
    According to my way of thinking, to deny the possibility that
    God exists is a closed-minded position

Damn right. But while I accept the fact that it is possible that god exists, I think the likelyhood of god existing is neglible.

Being an atheist or an unbeliever how do you explain the thousands
    of paranormal phenomena that are well documented in nearly every
    country in the world?

Just because you can't explain something doesn't mean that god or another higher being is behind it. I couldn't explain the process that makes something I put in the microwave come out hot, but that doesn't make me think that god is heating it up for me.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I don't think being an atheist forces you to deny the existence of paranormal/supernatural things. After all, lightning was "supernatural" until we understood it. Now it's just "natural". Like many people, I've experienced things I couldn't readily explain. Reproduce, but not explain. That doesn't mean there's a God, it means there's something I don't know. (But just that one thing. ;-) )

>>"Cannot deny the possibility that God exists"

True, but neither can a Christian deny the possibility that Zeus exists. Or garden fairies. It's pretty much impossible to prove something doesn't exist. I don't live in the black/white, true/false world anymore. Everything is based on likelihoods. From what I gather, the likelihood of a loving, concerned god is low. Can't prove he's not there, but that's no evidence that he is.

*steals some of LT's popcorn*

Dave

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I can deny anything I want... *sticks out tongue*

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

As an atheist I simply believe that no god exists, perhaps the same way that you have no belief that a god named Thor exists. Now, if Thor suddenly proves he's around, we'll probably both believe in him. Same with yahweh.

As far as the paranormal "evidence" that you mention, James Randi has a $1 million offer to anyone who can reproduce these in a controlled environment. The offer has been around for years. NO ONE has even come close to winning it.

S4

• V
    V

Consider me an agnostic.

The argument of paranormal activity has no bearing on my belief in a "God". I do not discount the concept of mulitple dimensions that we cannot measure or experience consciously.

Also the possibility of alien life is widely accepted by atheists. If an alien race with advanced technology were to meddle in human affairs, could this not be perceived as paranormal?

Arthur C. Clark said: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Or, dare I say, God?

You say:

"If you have no belief in God, then explain, why things that cannot be seen or explained with the naked eye exists in this world?

Umm, because the naked eye is a limited and inaccurate sensory device. I guess infrared and ultraviolet is proof of God because I cannot see it with my naked eye?

• schne_belly
    schne_belly
    Recent Show Featuring Paranormal Investigations

So now god only acts in a "paranormal" fashion. Can't just come out and show himself, huh??

I don't know if I accept the premise of the argument.....

• Badger
    Badger

Aztec (A self-proclaimed atheist) and I (A Quaker) have this discussion all the time. Personally, it think it may be a reaction to the concept of an overbearing God. For so long, we as Witnesses equated the rules handed down by the GB as from God Himself. Therefore, leaving the org was, by extension, leaving the concept of God being in control. Rebelling against the society was rebelling against God (The latter phrase being the true definition of apostasy)

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

~grabs popcorn and ringside seat~

~pushes past LT and steals popcorn whilst not looking... and sits down in same row putting feet up on chair in front~

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit