So Who is the Biggest Watchtower Villain?

by slimboyfat 78 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Who is the biggest villain in Watchtower history? Let's have a poll. Here are the candidates with a few possible reasons for voting for each:

1. Russell, after all he did start the whole thing off! He got the Bible Students into the pattern of false dates, especially 1914 that still 'ensnares' Witnesses today. Became authoritarian toward the end and did not treat his wife very well.

2. Woodworth, admitted to having been possessed by a demon before becoming a Bible Student. Some claim his later work on the Golden Age magazine evinces the continued influence of demons. He hated the medical profession, from which obsession may have sprung the later no-blood doctrine causing many thousands of later Witnesses to put their lives on the line.

3. MacMillan, described by Penton as a Machiavellian figure in Watchtower history, he claims to have had a key influence on the direction of the movement at key moments in its early history. Not least he is partially credited, not least by himself, with the eventual success of Rutherford's accession, a turning point in the history of the movement where many believe it took a turn decidedly for the worse.

4. Rutherford, given the constant Rutherford bashing that goes on here, making the case for him as top villain is almost redundant, but here goes: invented the theocracy with the 'birth of a nation' article in 1925; accused of hypocricy over diplomacy with Hitler; supposedly a drunkard; supposedly an adulterer who mistreated his ill wife; lived it up in a mansion that he claimed was for biblical 'princes' while America was in the depths of depression; set false dates; bullied and lied about people such as Olin Moyle. One could go on and on, but better stop there.

5. Knorr, according to Ray Franz he was a genial man who did not necessarily believe all the details of Witness theology, but was committed to Organization and expansion. Since he is the leader about whom there is the clearest evidence that he did not really believe all that he preached, is he not therefore the most reprehensible? Additionally, since he was the leader during the Witnesses' most successful period of growth, is he not the most responsible for luring the most people into the Witnesses? He is also credited with formulating the current harsh disfellowshipping policies during the 1950s as a parochial response to bad behaviour in Brooklyn Bethel.

6. Freddy Franz, since he came up with most of the Witnesses' wacky theology that all 6 million plus members are expected to adhere to in ridiculous detail. He was after all the Society's "oracle" for nearly 70 years. He made the NWT that is accused of being misleading on many counts, not least the infamous "door to door" scripture that he laboriously defended. He is also responsible for the many many restrictions placed on many aspects of Witnesses' everyday lives, including the now abandoned line he formulated against "alternative service".

7. Ray Franz, because he turned against his fellow believers and wrote books "exposing" them. He turned many away from the faith through his accusations, but he was nevertheless responsible for formulating the Witnesses' line on chronology for the Aid book before he defected. He did not stick up for Jonnson when he had the chance. He refuses to denounce the current leadership's policies on child abuse.

8. Jaracz, well the controversial accusations that have frequently been made against him personally on this forum hardly need to be repeated. He is also blamed for maintaining the Society's hardline policies and for preventing reform generally, especially over the child abuse issue. He is certainly 'villain of the monrth' - but should he be considered the biggest villain in Watchtower history?

So please cast your votes. Also critique my summaries, or add your own evaluations. Indeed offer suggestions for other characters to go down in the Watchtower's hall of infamy.

Slim

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Since he is the leader about whom there is the clearest evidence that he did not really believe all that he preached, is he not therefore the most reprehensible?

Nathan Knorr?Where is the evidence he didnt believe what he preached?

• bubble
    bubble

Charles T. Russell. If is wasn't for him, we all wouldn't be in this mess, and our lives would be completely different.

The perpetrator of 'the lie' has to be the biggest villain. I hate him. My family shun me because of him. If he wasn't already dead I would like to kill him.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I don't think there is a biggest wts villain. I think they are all misguided people, currently misleading 6.5 million other people.

They misled me for 25 years, but not any more

• Honesty
    Honesty

I bet they're all having a good time 'Roasting' each other right now.

• VM44
    VM44

I think Knorr had doubts about the year 1914, perhaps someone can come up with a reference for that.

As for who is the biggest Watchtower villian, anyone who has been reading my postings will know who I vote for....JUDGE RUTHERFORD!

--VM44

• freetosee
    freetosee

It is hard to say who the biggest is, the worst ones to me are Russell, Rutherford, Knorr and F Franz. And since then TJ "the boss".

About Ray Franz, I am very happy about his exposior of the inner workings of the gb and FDS, but also wonder about...

He did not stick up for Jonnson when he had the chance. He refuses to denounce the current leadership's policies on child abuse.

Did he really refuse to dennounce that issue? I wondered why he never wrote about this, since he had all the insider info.

fts

• VM44
    VM44

Fred Franz was low key, but was responsible for a lot of the WT doctrines, so I vote him as a close second.

Didn't someone post here that, as a kid running around at a special event, they ran into an elderly Fred Franz knocking him to the ground?

If I recall correctly, Fred Franz didn't know what had hit him!

--VM44

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

As for candidates, I think Russell should be taken off. Had it not been for Rutherford and MacMillan, his movement would've been a historical footnote. Seeing as how Russell's ideas have been mostly discarded in present doctrine, and he is not given much mention aside from the Proclaimers book, I think has had the least influence on modern dubs.

IMO, the greatest villain would be the one whose policies continue to inflict suffering on people, or continue to cost lives. The blood issue and the disfellowshipping practice are the only things that accomplish this.

Arbitrary disfellowshippings are wrong, no doubt. People have committed suicide over it, so it does lead to loss of life. This pales before the blood issue, for which people are still losing their lives. Therefore, C.J. Woodworth and any who helped form the JW blood doctrine are in my eyes, the most villainous.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I can't find the quote, it may be in Crisis of Conscience, I'm not sure. But Knorr is credited with saying words to the effect:

"I believe in the BIble and Jesus, I am sure about that, but 1914 and the other things I am not so sure..."

Slim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit