Disfellowshipping the obese?

by dido 59 Replies latest jw friends

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Not exactly the sort of thing that would fuel their masturbatory fantasies.

Exactly, Finally Free - that's why I think they will border on/discover body-chocolate etc (if they think about it) - great disguise.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    You can just see the JC...a slightly overweight sister in front of 3 porker elders? Lol

How about her defense: " But you are the one's who quoted 1 Tim 4:8 everytime I asked you if it was o.k. to join a gym". Warlock

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Watchtower-2004-November-1-p.30----Questions From Readers:

Questions

From Readers

How

does the Christian congregation view gluttony?

God’s Word condemns both drunkenness and gluttony as behavior that is incompatible with serving God. Therefore, the Christian congregation regards a confirmed glutton in the same manner as it views a habitual drunkard. Neither a drunkard nor a glutton can be part of the Christian congregation.

Nevada-

• Warlock
    Warlock

Excuse me, but I knew 2 of the skinniest brothers you have ever seen, going to "all you can eat" establishments and having "eating contests". They weigh the same now as they did 15 years ago. So a glutton does not have to be "obese" to be a glutton.

Warlock

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I knew an elder who really believed that this should be enforced, because being overweight is a sign of greed. I told him that he was an uneducated fool. He made my life hell after that comment.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    How about her defense: " But you are the one's who quoted 1 Tim 4:8 everytime I asked you if it was o.k. to join a gym". Warlock

Haha, this guy in my congregation used to take out the comma in that scripture and read it: "Bodily exercise is beneficial for a little butt."

Excuse me, but I knew 2 of the skinniest brothers you have ever seen, going to "all you can eat" establishments and having "eating contests". They weigh the same now as they did 15 years ago. So a glutton does not have to be "obese" to be a glutton.

Warlock

Hey don't shoot the messenger; I didn't say it made any sense that they counseled the guy. I wouldn't say he was overweight either. He was just stocky.
  • jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

There would be almost no Elders left if they did disfellowship the obese.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

This topic makes me sad indeed. Not every FAT person is greedy. I am FAT. But I am not greedy. There are many things that contribute to obesity...and any intelligent person should know that food is not always the biggest (pardon the pun) issue. Some of the skinniest people I know are absolute PIGS when it comes to eating. But they get away with it because they are thin.

Why is it okay to have fat "prejudice"? I have heard it said that this type of prejudice is one of the last socially acceptable types of prejudice. Shame on people who look down on us tubbies.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    This topic makes me sad indeed. Not every FAT person is greedy. I am FAT. But I am not greedy. There are many things that contribute to obesity...and any intelligent person should know that food is not always the biggest (pardon the pun) issue. Some of the skinniest people I know are absolute PIGS when it comes to eating. But they get away with it because they are thin.

Why is it okay to have fat "prejudice"? I have heard it said that this type of prejudice is one of the last socially acceptable types of prejudice. Shame on people who look down on us tubbies.

I mean no disrespect, mumsy, and I think most women struggle with their weight and having a healthy body image throughout life. I would never want to contribute to that struggle by saying thoughtless things!

You are right, it's a completely narrow minded notion that someone is overweight because they are a glutton. Plus I think all sizes can be beautiful.

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I remember one time at work, the staff all had health screening. I was surprise that seemingly slim men and women had high cholesterol and a lady who was quite large had very low cholesterol. When I was ill some years ago, I put on weight because I wasn't as active, and the elder I mentioned before kept going on and on about me putting on weight. I told him that I had very low cholesterol and he shut the fuck up. Typical of jw's they only see things by outward appearances.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit