Disfellowshipping the obese?

by dido 59 Replies latest jw friends

• LouisaWas
    LouisaWas

Back around 1973 my poor Mom was counciled for going to Weight Watchers...the two elders that talked to her both had very heavy wives. My Mom kept going despite their talk with her. She lost thirty pounds and looked wonderful. The elders wives continued to pork up and were probably carrying well over 200 pounds...my Mom was built like Marilyn Monroe and gorgeous! I bet they secretly wished their wives had gone and had the determination my Mom had. Their daughters are all well over two hundred pounds as well. Later my Mom HAD to work because my Dad was ill...she had to wear a uniform to work and would come to meetings after she got off..wearing her uniform which was navy pants, a white shirt and a navy sweater. They gave her hell about the navy slacks. She bore up under the pressure for a long time but she finally just broke down and quit going. Rather than commending her for making it to the meetings after a long day at work they just had to tear into her....how ridiculous and small of them. I still cannot forgive them for hurting her so. A woman who tried so hard and had so much burden, trying to raise 4 children with a sick husband...and rather than try and lighten her burden it was like...what can we do to try and discourage you as much as possible? Reason being? She married out of the truth when she was 17....she deserved any hell that should ever come her way in their eyes.

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

In one of my old halls our PO was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over weight, he was about 6'3 pushing 480 pounds. Fact is he couldn't perform public talks anymore cause he couldn't stand that long!!!!

Technically at 6'0 tall and 215 pounds I'm obese. My healthy weight would be between 168-189!

• sspo
    sspo

LouisaWas

Welcome to the forum

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Being talked to for going to Weight Watchers is odd. Now being obese and going to the YMCA to work out, now that's a sin! I think I'll join. Nah, what do I care if I have 30 lbs to lose...

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Rather than commending her for making it to the meetings after a long day at work they just had to tear into her....how ridiculous and small of them. I still cannot forgive them for hurting her so

I'm sorry your mom went through this, and I'm sorry you had to experience the pain, also. That is why many leave. The place where you are supposed to receive shelter from the "mean old, demonized world of sex crazed, profanity loving worldlings" turns out to be the real place where "meanies" reside.

Warlock

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    In one of my old halls our PO was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over weight, he was about 6'3 pushing 480 pounds. Fact is he couldn't perform public talks anymore cause he couldn't stand that long!!!!

Technically at 6'0 tall and 215 pounds I'm obese. My healthy weight would be between 168-189!

Hey Kerj, 2 things, first of all, I wonder if this PO is the same guy who is now an elder in the congregation I used to belong to. 2) You are not technically obese, knock it off. Your muscle to body fat ratio is perfectly healthy, I suspect, and BMI doesn't really take this into consideration I don't think...

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

GGBG....Thanks for making a chubby old white guy feel good!!! I owe you a drink at the Ice concert!!!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Maybe that's the big announcement for this fall -- DF the gluttons! :-)
    Before every meeting, JWs would be weighed on a WTS-manufactured balance scale and their weight compared to height/weight charts. If they are deemed too heavy, they'll be put on a theocratically approved diet and required to keep a food journal, which will be presented to the elders at each weighing. They'd be given FS territories with steep hills. If the overweight JWs do not lose weight quickly enough, they would be marked, then warned, and finally DFed.
    It's a ridiculous scenario, but if the WTS could find a way to do it without causing a R&F uproar, I have no doubt they would.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Ok, that does it! I'm gonna go upstairs now and stuff my f*cking face.

Just because I can.

W, the gluttonous swine.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Why aren't the elders counseling all the J rubadub bubs for eating all that junk at the donut shops when there out in pasture service. Moooooooooooo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit