Disfellowshipping the obese?

by dido 59 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Well said, cathy. You should post here more often.

Love, Blondie

• Warlock
    Warlock
    If I recall correctly, one of the things in the resolution at the convention this year was that we "as christians have to not overindulge in food..."

They were talking about "spiritual" food.

Warlock

• south african beef
    south african beef

Slightly off the thread I know, but my father was not allowed to give talks at district conventions years ago because he had a beard.

Nobody told him the reason he was dropped until he asked. He had to grow the beard due to a dental abcess - he was told that if he cut himself whilst shaving it could kill him.

So maybe better to die clean shaven and be able to give talks - it's a weird world!

• badboy
    badboy

AT THE RATE OBESITY IS INCREASING IN USA,EVERYONE WOULD BE DFED!

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.euractiv.com/en/health/uk-faces-serious-obesity-problem/article-157251

Health & Pharma

Thursday 7 September 2006

Published: Monday 28 August 2006 | Updated: Friday 1 September 2006 | Print this article

UK faces serious obesity problem

In Short:

A forecast report on UK obesity trends states that a third of adults and a fifth of children will be obese by 2010, resulting in more people suffering from related diseases and an increase in healthcare costs.

RELATED
    Brief News:

This year's Health Survey for England, published by the UK Department of Health on 25 August 2006, focuses on obesity. The Forecasting Obesity to 2010 report predicts the levels of obesity in England in 2010 if current trends remain unchanged.

The forecast statistics show that around 13 million adults, more men than women, will be obese by 2010, and another 15 million overweight. As a result, an increasing number of people will suffer from obesity-related diseases such as cardiovascular disesase or type 2 diabetes and the cost of obesity to the UK national health system is expected to rise above 1 billion euro. Childhood obesity is also set to increase, with proportionally more girls than boys being obese.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair appointed, in August 2006, a Public Health Minister to work across government on a new strategy to increase the UK population's fitness and activity levels.

Striving to promote healthy lifestyles, the European Commission adopted, in December 2005, a Green Paper on healthy diets and physical activity in Europe to prevent obesity and chronic diseases. A White Paper on the issue is expected in early 2007. The Finnish Presidency expert conference on 'Health in All Policies' in September 2006 will have a special plenary session on nutrition and physical activity.

Links
  • BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I realize that DF'g obese people is absurd...but why even bring it up? Has there been a thread on anorexic's or bulemic's? (sorry, spelling) Should they be DF'd because they have an eating disorder? Are you honoring your body by trying to fit into the mold of being thin, as this society we live in dictates, by starving yourself and resorting to extreme measures to do so? (Vomiting, fasting, abusing laxatives, unhealthy fad diets, exercise obsession)?

Uh, nope.

I am very defensive about weight because I have struggled for so long with it. I have been insulted, stared at and generally looked down upon because I am not a skinny chick. I am built for comfort; not for speed. Of all people, the people on this forum, who have escaped a cult that categorizes people and labels them...should be accepting of everyone here.

I ain't skinny neither. And some of the most beautiful women I have met are not skinny. I don't think I can be skinny. I have tried, it just doesn't work too well. I have this really bad habit, it's called food.

I know that people who have commented on this thread mean well and are just speaking their minds. When a thread like this comes up I guess I get very defensive because I have been hurt by the cruelty of others regarding weight. This also happened while I was a JW. If a sister started gaining weight...she was a target for a whole lot of gossip by the other sisters.

What!? Sheesh, people huh? Truthfully, I understand what you mean about people staring and people treating you different and people saying hurtful things. I saw it in and out of the org. Getting defensive is not always such a bad thing. It reminds us that there are those around us who need our understanding and compassion. I get defensive about people with disabilities because of my kid. And I can be fairly out spoken about it. But I do that because I get to hear people all over use the word "retard" when referring to people who do dumbass things.

I guess when I went back and read through some of the comments, what I saw for the most part were people who were trying to make the point that you Can't disfellowship some one for their weight. It's absurd, ridiculous and cruel. Just like to me, the fact that they disfellowship someone or will not allow a person to baptized if they are a smoker is just as absurd. The reason why is no one has the right to judge another person like that. Especially when the action of disfellowshipping not only cuts someone off from their family but when they are told that they are unacceptable to God. I mean, c'mon, who has the right to do that?

It's not a perfect world for sure on this forum...but it would be nice to see more tolerance of our individuality. I know that I amount to more than a number on a scale or the reflection in the mirror.

Just a rant. Cheaper than a shrink. But I'll still take my anti-depressants...lol!!

Rant away, I just figured that it's probably not a bad thing to express that I doubt any of us had the intention to hurt our big beautiful ladies and gents.

• dido
    dido

Hadenuf- the reason this subject was brought up was because it was toplical, and no-one is taking the mick out of fat people, but all subjects should be able to be discussed, that is freedom of speech, and i thought that this site was one of the places we were able to do that after being suppressed for so long. As i said in my opening post, most people are overweight, the minority probably aren`t, so there is no reason to take it personally,

• sosad
    sosad

Hi hadenuf - there was a thread on eating disorders that was referenced on this thread. it was re: a new article about relying on the organization for help. The original thread was about Prayer - can it help eating disorders etc

I reiterate - there are many problems that the org will df/counsel/sit in judgment on. There is stupidity that someone like me with an eating disorder that was not readily apparent was threatened with a judicial committee and removed from all privl in the cong when the elders trying to help me were about 100 lbs overweight - very apparently. This thread is about the judgment and the ludicrousness of dfing for this and not for that.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I suppose if they had parties with tons of food and people were going to the bathroom to vomit it up like they did in the Roman days, they would df you/the group. They would say that is gluttony. But for people, too many people have health issues that led them to get fat or they have a thyroid problem or it crept on them little by little. That's not gluttony. But I have seen sisters who are diabetic, eat cakes and cookies and are extremely obese. This one sister does not exercise, complains about her weight and gets mail order boxes of candy and 'non-fat' cake.

• Nina
    Nina

What about the connection between low wage jobs and high-carb "filler food" groceries?

If a person is overweight it may be because he or she can't afford to buy high quality food.

Blaming the victim...a tried and true WT technique!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit