What's Your Opinion Of Cops Making Roadblocks Just 2 See If Someone's Drunk

by minimus 94 Replies latest jw friends

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Justice, YOU sound like me!

I'm just glad someone besides me can see the bigger picture here.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Freedom should take a backseat when there is a greater cause.

I knew I would hear the above sooner or later. BTW in case you are wondering, yes you have heard it before. - It has been the call of tyrants and dictators throughout history. SIEG HEIL!

• minimus
    minimus

I think Tony was being cute. I agree that if you let the gov't whittle away your rights, before you know it, Big Brother will be watching you in EVERY possible way and infringe upon your basic rights.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Yeah I caught that after a re-read. But I have heard the statement before, from those who really meant it.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

For it!

Having been involved in two accidents where the other drivers were driving under the influence I like this. One drunk driver killed my neighbor and left his wife seriously injured. She spent over two months in the hospital.

If this stops one drunk driver then that's one less drunk on the road!

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

"My personal belief is that it is wrong to punish someone for a crime they have not yet committed. Punishing for a crime they might commit is wrong."

I agree it is wrong to punish someone for a crime they have not yet committed. However, if they are behind the wheel and drunk they have ALREADY committed the crime!

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

"Do you realize that if you have 2 beers and then get behind the wheel you probably are legally drunk? If you got stopped at a roadblock and told the officer that you did drink 2 beers, you'd be in trouble! " Then you shouldn't get behind the wheel! If you are 'legally' drunk then you ARE drunk.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

The problem with DUI laws is that no matter how much one has had to drink, the penalties are pretty much the same. A person can be over the limit after one beer, depending on the varibles. That translates into a night in jail, hundreds of dollars for bail, thousands of dollars for an attorney, hundreds of dollars for " safe driving" classes, hundreds of dollars in increase in insurance premiums ( if they don't drop you ), and thousands of dollars in a fine, and the stigma.

I think most people are painting over this problem with a very wide, emotionally based brush and just don't want to take the time or make the effort to try to come up with a fair solution. Kinda like Watchtower think.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    However, if they are behind the wheel and drunk they have ALREADY committed the crime!

Not in my utopia Crimes would be measured and punished according to the damage they do. Not the damage they might do. Dont get me wrong. In my world, you kill or hurt someone while driving drunk, you'd never get out of jail. You kill or hurt someone due to a reckless action, you'd be in jail for a very long time. Plus you'd have to make monetary restitution.

Im for more severe santions and more freedom. Not less severe sanctions and less freedom. You do the crime you do the time.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

"I agree it is wrong to punish someone for a crime they have not yet committed. However, if they are behind the wheel and drunk they have ALREADY committed the crime! "

. . .if this is the law then it's a very bad law that was written by a bunch of legislative coward yes-men who get elected by sucking up to organizations like MADD ( A BIGGER BUNCH OF LIARS THERE NEVER WAS)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit