What's Your Opinion Of Cops Making Roadblocks Just 2 See If Someone's Drunk

by minimus 94 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Ambivalent. Driving is a privilege, not a right. Freedom entails responsibility. On the other hand, less government is better government. And, the last time I checked citizens are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Citizens should not give up one iota of their rights to the government for any reason what so ever. Sobriety checks should be regulated and monitored by independent observers to prevent abuses.
    Driving drunk is a despicable act. Frankly, it boggles the mind that there are still people out there who don't get it:
    DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!
    Dave

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    It's a GOOD THING. Lost too many schoolmates, seen too many accidents. Husband injured, auto totalled. Get them at a roadblock before they get out of the nightclub/bar area and hurt someone.

You do realize that many people that cause accidents that are DUI or DWI have been caught before. Punishments are not severe enough. Again, I say hang the offenders out to dry, and no to random stops. Besides, I have seen some people that have had a few too many drive MUCH better than some perfectly legal older people. What we REALLY need is old people check points. Why stop there, how about young people check points? After all, we all know the way they drive, and it is just a matter of time before they kill someone. Or how about vision check points? I say throw those blind as a bat drivers in jail, and we NEED check points and optometrists to assist the police. And while were on a roll, blood sugar check points to catch those who may have forgotten to take their insulin. Personally I think if we throw enough money and man-power at this, and take away most of our rights and freedoms, we can all finally be perfectly safe and secure. After all, if it saves ONE life right?

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Freedom schmeedom.

I'm sure that all those that died in World War Two are also spinning in their graves.

Yeah, screw freedom. I hear it's highly over-rated anyway.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Yup, driving is a privlage/ freedom... not a right...

It sure is, and it also has NOTHING to do with the 4th amendment.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Justice,

We need these checkpoints also to keep us all safe and snug.

sleep deprevation

allergy medication

all prescription drugs

smoking while driving

ban all cell phones

no eating no drinking

Install speed governors on cars (oops they are starting to do this)

check for all illegal drugs

I know just have a phlebotomist at the check point and everybody gets a blood test.

reflex test

hearing test

stupidity test

Driving drunk is stupid,the pendulum has swung to far to the left though.

Moo

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    A 250 pound man who has the same amount of drinks as a 100 pound woman may not feel the effect of it as much as her

It's a well known fact that it is not how much you drink, but it's how far your face has to fall to the bowl of nuts that count.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am either.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm with Justice---One.

• sandy
    sandy

Definitely for it. It can be a little annoying sitting in the traffic but I always remind myself of the bigger picture.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    but I always remind myself of the bigger picture.

Yup, but the bigger picture is the loss of our freedoms, and the fact that we are being conditioned to think things like this are "no big deal."

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Your freedom to kill someone and be punished for it afterward? Hell of a lot the freedom is going to do for the victim who is maimed or dead. Sorry, the system is too messed up altogether for me to wait for the drunks to get caught after they have killed folks. I'd rather they were stopped before they are going to jail for a lot more serious charges than DUI. And if you want to think I am in favor of some totalitarian state, I guess you can. Exactly WHAT kind of state allows anything with no restrictions unless you actually kill someone? And where is this place? Cause I don't want to be anywhere near it. Accidents happen, and stupid happens. In swimming pools, in life, in schools, in the home. We have enough dangers in the world without allowing people who are drunk to drive until they hit someone.

On a Friday or Saturday night, the things that police do are breaking up the fights of drunks, arresting the badly driving drunks and scraping victims of drunks off the highway. I'd rather the roadblocks stopped the second so that they don't have to deal with the third. I like good cops, their jobs are tough enough without dealing with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit