What's Your Opinion Of Cops Making Roadblocks Just 2 See If Someone's Drunk

by minimus 94 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Most definitely for it.

Far too many people are killed or seriously injured by drunk drivers.

If they want to give me a sobriety test I have no problem. But if I pass the test then there is no reason to ask for ID.

But one more thing I would like them to catch is driver's who are out there without a licence. Although if they follow the NO ID idea then the driver wouldn't get caught.

I know of far too many people who have lost their licence and have arranged for someone to buy the car for them and have them hand it over to the person without the licence.

• minimus
    minimus

Justice, YOU sound like me!

• acadian
    acadian

For those who believe driving is a privilege...here are some court cites...

The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 NE 221
    The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment." Kent v. Dulles, 357 US 116, 125.
    The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common law right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 579.
    The right to travel is a well-established common right that does not owe its existence to the federal government. It is recognized by the courts as a natural right." Schactman v. Dulles 96 App DC 287, 225 F2d 938, at 941.
    Even the legislature has no power to deny to a Citizen the "RIGHT" to travel upon the highway and transport his property in the ordinary course of his business or pleasure, through this "RIGHT" might be regulated in accordance with the public interest and convenience. See: Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 N.E. 22

"Regulated" here means traffic safety enforcement, stop lights, sign, etc., NOT a privilege that requires permission, i.e.; licensing, mandatory insurance, vehicle registration, etc..
    The Constitution of the State of Colorado, Article II, §3 provides that:

All persons have certain natural, essential and unalienable "RIGHTS," among which may be reckoned the "RIGHT" .... of acquiring, possessing and protecting property; ....
    A motor vehicle is property and a person cannot be deprived of property without due process of law. The term: "property," within the meaning of the due process clause, includes the "RIGHT" to make full use of the property which one has the unalienable "RIGHT" to acquire.
    Every Citizen has an unalienable "RIGHT" to make use of the public highways of the state; every Citizen has full freedom to travel from place to place in the enjoyment of life and liberty. See: People v. Nothaus, 147 Colo. 210
    Undoubtedly the "RIGHT" of locomotion, the "RIGHT" to remove from one place to another according to inclination, is an attribute of personal liberty, and the "RIGHT," ordinarily, of free transit from or through the territory of any State is a "RIGHT" secured by the Fourteenth Amendment and by other provisions of the Constitution. See: Williams v. Fears, 343 U.S. 270, 274

I could keep going, but I think the point is clear, Driving is a RIGHT not a privilege unless you are a commercial driver. Ignorance of the law is no excuse! those who do not stand up for their rights don't deserve any! Peace Acadian

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I would rather see a crackdown on jaywalkers. This is almost 3 years old, but it's still a very serious problem.

" In 2002, there were 97 traffic fatalities. Fifty were pedestrians."

W

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I guess some thing that they have the right to drive drunk until they hit someone, and others are concerned about those who would cross the street on foot without a light or crosswalk giving them permission. Both are problems, but the ones in the cars are the ones with the deadly weapons. However, I don't take jaywalking lightly either. Teaching children about road safety is the first step to teaching them about traffic safety and understanding both is a key to a long life. (You know-lets all make it to the big A! :) )

My beef right now, in particular, is the local police officers who repeatedly give teenage speeders 'warnings'. My son is 18 and has had some minor traffic stops and one ticketed accident. Another that involved private property only(thank God) and he repaired the fence. Now that he is 18(nearly 19) and moving out, he has told me of how MANY times he has sped and been CAUGHT by the police and let OFF because they thought he was 'a nice kid'. This 'nice kid' has lost 2 friends and several aquaintances to traffic accidents involving high speed and/or racing(very big around here). The cops just treat it as a 'boys will be boys' thing. I am stunned! Are they STUPID???? To many of them are literally scraping kids off the sidewalks and streets and they are giving kids a break! I want to DO SOMETHING to stop this and don't know if I should start with my local police force or go to my legislators. Any ideas? Seems if the kids are breaking the law, that parents should be notified-since we are responsible for what they do as minors and can remove driving priveleges. We never were notified! I found a couple of traffic citations, but my son didn't offer the information up, and I found them after he was 18 and in the process of moving out. If the police don't treat this as seriously as drunk driving (and they treat it pretty seriously around here) then they become accomplices to my way of thinking. Aaaargh. I am one irritated mama bear right now. Good thing no one is in the house or I'd bite-and not in a nice way!

• ballistic
    ballistic
    I would rather see a crackdown on jaywalkers. This is almost 3 years old, but it's still a very serious problem.

Coincidently, I was telling someone a couple of weeks ago that I hadn't realised jaywalking was a crime. I found crossing the street a lot more difficult in the USA as the streets are generally a lot wider than here, but as I didn't realise you weren't supposed to cross anywhere, I carried on regardless.

I was telling this to someone and he told me there's a bar somewhere in LA where the parking lot is across the street, so the police figured a neat trick for booking underage drinkers.

First they book them for jay walking, then they check the IDs. The IDs prove to be fake, so then they are booked for fake IDs and underage drinking at the same time.

• minimus
    minimus

Do you realize that if you have 2 beers and then get behind the wheel you probably are legally drunk? If you got stopped at a roadblock and told the officer that you did drink 2 beers, you'd be in trouble!

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Do you realize that if you have 2 beers and then get behind the wheel you probably are legally drunk? If you got stopped at a roadblock and told the officer that you did drink 2 beers, you'd be in trouble!

I guess so in California. Here in England, the limit is dictated by your blood alcohol level rather than number of beers, which is normally just one beer due to the fact beer here is fairly strong and sold by the pint (slightly larger than a US pint). Also, there is a very bad stigma in Britain when it comes to drinking and driving, unlike the hotel receptionist in Florida who told me drinking a few and driving was "ok" as there was no other way to get to this particular bar.

• minimus
    minimus

The funny thing is----establishments should not serve more than 2 drinks, esp. if they know that one is driving. No one I know of goes out for the night and has but one drink----unless they rarely imbibe or know they are the designated driver.

• TonyT
    TonyT

Freedom should take a backseat when there is a greater cause.

Why stop with roadblocks? Given the devastating effects of methamphetamine on society police should randomly search homes for drug labs after all, it will save lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit