What Kinds of Weird Things were you banned from or not allowed as a child?

by mama1119 63 Replies latest jw friends

• mama1119
    mama1119

I could not have a big New Kids on the Block Pin, or wear any New Kids on the Block pins in puplic becuase it was considered idolatry. I also could not wear my shoes without laces (it was cool back then) because it looked wordly. What other strange theings besides the usual holiday/birthday stuff weren't you allowed to do?

• pratt1
    pratt1

I wasn't allowed top join the Boy Scouts.

This really pissed me off because they always seemed to do fun things.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Because my father was a doctor of alternative medicine (Naturopathic Physician), we didn't drink milk, (a good thing) and there were several foods we didn't eat for years, until he changed his mind about them. I remember asparagus was one of them.

As for the religious things, my parents were pretty liberal, compared to the way it is now and when I was raising my kids. We didn't do holidays and birthdays of course, but I could date "worldly" boys, be involved in school activities, etc.

• muslima
    muslima

Mulan, what is wrong with milk? I drink organic milk only but I drink probably at least 1.5 gallons a week...by itself, in coffee, in tea...

• mama1119
    mama1119

Pratt1---I always wanted to join Girl Scouts!!! I was so jealous of the meetings they got to have on Fridays and those dorky outfits, I wanted one so bad. I wonder why that was forbidden?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My favorite Andy Gibbs poster got torn off the wall. Yes, I know, I'm getting old!That really shows my age! Got my mood ring taken away. Always was in trouble for having one button too many unbuttoned!And forget the makeup!! Took forever to get my ears pierced, and then no showy earrings allowed! I'm sure I'll think of more. Thought of one. When I had to get glasses, even though the lights hurt my eyes, I wasn't allowed to have them tinted. Made me look to worldly and druggy.

• muslima
    muslima

oops sorry forgot to answer the question:

the only book I had at home other than Awake and Watchtower was an old book of Heidi and one of Little Women...that is all I was allowed to read....oh wait -- there were zillions of bound volumes to fill my little mind...

I wasn't allowed to go to my best friends house (across the street - 'worldly') even when there was a tornado warning...her mom used to come and get me and MAKE me come over - but I always got in trouble for not sticking to my guns and minding my parents. They were always out 'pioneering'...one time it was really bad and I hid in the dog cage with the dogs in the basement with a copy of Huckleberry Finn that I snuck home from the school library.

I know there are many others - but these are the 2 that popped into mind.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

for awhile, talking to girls.

I wrote on this site before about the time the elders called my dad and me for a meeting because some bitch in the hall had a weird mom and she said that I was looking and thinking about her daughters breasts, the short of the story: stupid sick elders trying to get their jerk off, over hearing a bunch of made up nonsense, so after that meeting my parents told me not to talk to any girls, which was ok by me I had a Worldly girlfriend.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I wasnt allowed to eat Milky Way Candy bars, Mars bars, Snikers, Three Muskaters bars. Because they had lethicin, which the wt said contained blood. They were the most popular chocalte bars In Northern, Ohio in the 60's. I couldnt buy beatle boots, I couldnt have a beatle haircut, I couldnt join the boyscouts or go to camp, or play organized sports, little leauge baseball or football, Couldnt celebrate the holidays, or birthdays at school I had to go and sit in the office durnig the celebration. Couldnt salute the flag. And I wasnt supposed to believe what many of my teachers especially science teachers taught. So I didnt take education very seriously. I didnt go to college. Which cost me financially as an adult.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Anyone live on the west coast remember that Wendy's Hamburgers were off limits too, because they add blood to the meat or something?

And if I remember right any product from Proctor and Gamble was banned too

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit