What Kinds of Weird Things were you banned from or not allowed as a child?

by mama1119 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

As a child, was not alowed to sleep w a teddybear. To this day, i still do not do that.

S

Ps, ok, as an adult, i did for a little while, and then stopped again....

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Scooby Doo. Rock and roll, sometimes, then sometimes it was ok. Lucky Charms cereal. Friends outside and friends inside, my mom believed that all I needed was her and my bible. R rated movies, then PG13 movies, then PG movies went away too--my parents had an assembly part about protecting your children from bad entertainment, where my dad said that PG meant 'pure garbage'.

In 2nd grade, my teacher said I was smart and should be in the gifted class, but my mother reasoned that it was drawing to much attention to ME by participating, so I abstained and remained bored in school. Then she pointed out that the Ute book had an chapter about boredom, I was then not allowed to be bored any longer.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

In 2nd grade, my teacher said I was smart and should be in the gifted class, but my mother reasoned that it was drawing to much attention to ME by participating, so I abstained and remained bored in school. ; Then she pointed out that the Ute book had an chapter about boredom, I was then not allowed to be bored any longer.>>

LOL! How boring was that?
    That is just absolutely perplexing why you were not allowed to be in the gifted program. Its funny, there was a JW girl in the gifted program I was in. Didn't seem to be an issue for her. I didn't realise though why she didn't go to prom until I learnt that was against WT rules (ugh). She was a very cool girl, actually lives quite near to me. I hope I get a chance to subvert her at some point.
    Oh, and PG= pure garbage, sounds like something my dad WISHES he could have come up with lol. and R stands for repulsive? repugnant? R being something bad and not worth your time or money, hmm, must stand for Religion....in the most "religious" sense of course.

smellsgood

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Couldn't go on school camp in grade 6 because of all the fornication. Couldn't go on the history camp in year 12 for the same reason - except that the entire history class was female. Couldn't wear an anklet because that's what prostitutes wear. Couldn't do sex ed classes.

Think my parents were a little hung up on sex?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Mulan, what is wrong with milk? I drink organic milk only but I drink probably at least 1.5 gallons a week...by itself, in coffee, in tea...

Cow's milk is for baby cows...............okay, I know that sounds dumb, but there is truth in the statement. The proteins in cow's milk are designed for a much larger animal than a human, especially a human child. The stress it puts on the body is believed to cause all kinds of allergies and immune system problems, ear infections, chronic congestion, skin problems, digestive difficulties, etc.

And.............the calcium molecule in cow's milk is too large to absorb in a human, so if you are drinking it for the calcium, it's a waste. A better source of calcium is green leafy vegetables,...........that's where the cows get it, or you can also take calcium/magnesium supplements.

I had very bad asthma as a child. As soon as they took me off milk, the asthma cleared up.

• Santisimo
    Santisimo

My mother wouldn't buy me Smurfs because she heard at the KH that a pioneer sister saw the toys running around her kids bedroom floor. She said they were possessed so of course my mom the retard refused to buy them for me.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Oh I just thought of two more....wasn't allowed to wear the peace sign or the yin/yang sign. And then of course, no going to any school dances because that could lead to SEX!!!!!

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

squirt guns. Candy cigarettes.(pixie sticks were ok though)

• alamb
    alamb

No: Lucky Charms (unless we called them Fortunate Trinkets...I'm not joking); bacon (contained nitrites which wouldn't leave our little systems until the New System....not joking again); had to eat peach pits by the bucket (later found that could poison us); no orthodontics; my brother was held out of kindergarten because '75 was coming and he may never have to attend schools in this system (he's now 38); no charm bracelets; no flowers in our hair (elders thought it looked harlot-like even at age 2); no Bewitched, trolls, scooby doo, Brady bunch (divorcees finding happiness...how sick).....don't get me started....I'm having flashbacks.

• LuciousJ
    LuciousJ

My mom was such a liberal hypocrit that I was allowed to hang out (even sleepovers) with my worldly friends but I couldn't participate in holiday projects or parties at school. I was allowed to watch any & all shows on TV, listen to whatever music I wanted to but I could NOT have one of those black 8 balls....you know the ones you asked a question and then you shake it and turn it over and there would be an answer? It was too close to "fortune telling"................I could go on and on and on with this......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit