What Kinds of Weird Things were you banned from or not allowed as a child?

by mama1119 63 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Wasnt allowed to go to ballet cos it was held in a church hall (when I started taking my own daughter to ballet my mum said 'oh how nice, didnt you ever want to do ballet when you were little?' ???????)

Not allowed to watch Fame, Grange Hill, Starskey and Hutch

Not allowed an ankle chain because prostitutes wore them

Not allowed a walkman, or a grey sweatshirt with a picture of two hockey players bullying off (violent)

No posters, Not allowed Duran Duran album cos it had a song called 'New Religion' on it

Not allowed to be in school plays because a couple of rehersals were on saturday monring and I would miss field service

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Wasn't allowed to eat marshmallows - as they were pumped full of blood.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

My god youre on form this morning Midwich. LMAO!

Would that be the white ones aswell? Or just the pink ones.

But now you mention it there were a whole load of food things alleged to contain blood so we gave them a wide berth. Like bovril and any red sweeties.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Remember that wine called 'Bull's Blood'? (it's still available) - yep, you've guessed it.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LOL!

Dont suppose anyone drank bloody marys either.

(Because its unchrisitan to drink the virgin mary presumably!)

• done4good
    done4good

Squirt guns, many video games, MTV...

j

• Scully
    Scully

We never had "fun" cereal in the house like Lucky Charms, Count Chocula, or BooBerry.

Never got to watch any "scary" movies. But remedied that recently with a Stephen King film festival a couple of weekends ago (gotta love the 99ยข video rental shop!!) My youngest watched them with me and we had a blast.

Got in HUGE trouble for lending a piece of fabric (black on one side and satiny-red on the other) to a classmate who was making a Dracula costume. I still don't know why my mom bought it in the first place.

However, we did get to watch the Bugs Bunny episodes with the bat that transmogrified into a vampire and the one with Witch Hazel. You know the ones I mean. la da dee dee abracadabra!!! I suppose it all depended on which cartoons your parents enjoyed too.

• KW13
    KW13

Elvis Presley - because he took drugs

Oasis - Bad people

The Darkness - Satanic

Anything magic related, Harry Potter for example - Making light of the spirit realm, Satan wants us to do that?!?!

Soap Opera's - would you allow these things in your lounge? you are by watching it on TV. (wtf...i know)

Violence - Jesus wouldn't watch this would he (ahhh but did jesus have a video player?)

Take down a poster - idolatry

Wasn't allowed Liverpool Football Club poster up - Idolatry

the list is endless...we used to clash a lot, in the end it got crazy.

• badboy
    badboy

VERY INTERESTING!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Candy - my mother said it would rot my teeth and she was/is not a JW!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit