Circuit Overseers

by Outaservice 73 Replies latest jw experiences

• sspo
    sspo

They probably got paid like bethelites but they always made a few hundred dollars when visiting since publisher would give them envelops at the end of the visit.

Of course everything was paid for by the congregation.

I used to wonder when they turned in the expense to the elders at the end of the week and would usually come out to approx. $130, what did they spend the money on since meals were provided for them and they never drove their cars in service so that they would not put on miles on their cars.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

my circuit overseer's got 3 sisters fighting for his attention

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

SSPO If my memory serves me correctly the $130.00 amount was standard every time they came around. Yes and IMO the CO was the first tier of paid clergy in the wts. To paraphrase someone else who pays my bills ----- I do ------- they obviously don't pay their own. Didn't they also get $ at the end of the circuit ass.

Uwuf

• sspo
    sspo

Never seen a circuit overseer and wife refuse money or a good meal.

On the other hand i have to give them credit for doing what they do along wih their wives.

go out in service 5 days a week whether they feel like it or not.

On the other hand they themselves would say that they would rather do circuit work than be an elder in a cong.

Elders have to make a living, deal with their families such as wife and kids and publishers problems, work on talks,shepherding,judicial problems.

The CO tries to give assistance to the elders if they experincing problems but at the end of the week he takes off and the elders are stuck with the problems.

• inthelibraryagain
    inthelibraryagain

CO's, - the most idolized man on the planet. The stars were aligned when he came, all showed up, all were in awe to have him in their house, make dinner for him, touch his clothes. It made up for not celebrating birthdays of loved ones, father's day, and mother's day. I mean, we shouldn't put any "man" up on a pedestal....well, any man except for the CO, that is. Isn't that just idolatry at it's finest? I remember they announced his visit and everyone would schedule off work and Mom and Dad would pull me out of school so I could spend just one day with him! No wonder jw's have their priorities f@#*ed up about education!

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

For years our franchise congregation had a CO who used to do fun things like choose his favourite song at the end of the meeting and get all the sisters to sing the first verse, then the brothers would sing the second verse, then everyone together for the last one. Unusual, out of the ordinary. Everyone would be thinking "Hey, this guy is lots of fun."

Then one year we got a new CO. Same song at the end! Same shtick with the singing!

That kind of spoiled it for me. Quirky and spontaneous? Nope, all scripted.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Excellent point made, and how true,

CO's, - the most idolized man on the planet. The stars were aligned when he came, all showed up, all were in awe to have him in their house, make dinner for him, touch his clothes. It made up for not celebrating birthdays of loved ones, father's day, and mother's day. I mean, we shouldn't put any "man" up on a pedestal....well, any man except for the CO, that is.

Yep some witnesses thought they CO or DO's were all encompassing demi gods and would do anything to be accepted by him, My ex husband use to put his foot in his mouth everytime we had a visit from them. He couldn't idolize them enough, he would literally be dancing on the spot talking to a CO. It was pa thetic. Talk about sucking up, it was really idiotic. I use to snicker and then he did everything he could to make me feel embarrassed.

I do recall a wonderful CO we had when I lived in Montreal, he was so easy to please, and one day he asked if he could have lunch at our house, (wan't Married then) and all he wanted and was dying for was a bowl of my home made soup and a Peanut Butter Sandwich,and wow I thought he died and went to heaven. But at least he wasn't a servant who was an overlord.

Some of those brothers are really nasty, some insult you and think nothing of it, even from the platform. I recall one CO saying that there was too much materailism in our congregation and that many had swimming pools hot tubs, and luxury items in their homes, I could just see those who had these things just want to crawl under a seat after being told off publically like that. Talk about be tactful, I think that CO was never allowed to suck on his mommy's breast...

Some the CO and DO's were well off, I know of a few and I also know that those who had alot materially in the cong. would shower them with money and meals that were even flown in that day of fresh lobsters from the maritimes. What some witnesses would do to get in good with these servants. It made me want to puke..

Orangefatcat.

Aug 27, 2006
  • Mysterious
    Mysterious

I loved the one that gave me the 10 second all purpose presentation that I used for the rest of my life "The reason I'm calling is to share this article [read title] what do you think? blah blah god's kingdom *hands*

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

We dined, and showed hospitality to many CO's and their wives over the years. Even had one couple stay here during their visit. All in all I like most of the CO's.

Dismembered

• core
    core

William Heath is, I believe, currently assigned to Merseyside Cicuit (Liverpool) so he could pop over to the Manchester ApostaCurry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit