Thank you Jehovah for answered prayers

by Annie Over 194 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

And Brother Foknokker would like to thank jehovah for his bowel movement this morning!!!!

PRAISE JEHOOBIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

This thread should be re-titled "How to Disparage Someone and Their Beliefs in a Time of Relief from Anxiety - 101"

Can't ya give it a rest for even a moment, and accept that she got lucky and is relieved? Having that heart-stopping moment of losing a wallet or purse is enough to drain the life out of you. The corresponiding jubilation at recovery is worth sharing, surely without castigation? It's not really a hard balance to strike...

Annie:Congrats on the safe return of your belongings.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The Almighty might answer prayers - but unfortunately your experience conveys clearly what is wrong with the organization that claims to be His special property. Your narrow focus makes you believe that God is interested in saving your purse and a little attendant trouble that would come from such a loss - while He is unconcerned about all the world's ills [except that He will fix that by killing everyone but you and few chosen special ones].

Forty-three years I thought the same way. I do not any longer.

I remember one 'brother' telling how he was about to run out of gas, had no money, and didn't know how he would continue in the 'service' that day. He stopped at a creek to wash up and found a ten dollar gold coin staring at him from the water. His reaction was much like yours. This was during the depression in the early 30's, and somehow God was more interested in him selling books door to door than He was in aiding all the billions on the planet that could not eat that day.

Turns out - everything in the books he was selling is now out of date [translation=it was wrong to start with]. I wonder why God was so interested in him spreading wrong ideas?

Nonetheless - welcome to the forum. We are really a nice lot though we say it like it is.

Jeff

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi Ross, nice to be back in good company again after my two weeks on holiday. I'm feeling chilled and mellow and actually find myself agreeing with what you just posted .. .. .. up to a point.

But I'm letting it go, I'm trying to learn that not every point needs to be argued.

Good to be back,

Nic'

• dobbie
    dobbie

Hi Annie very glad you got your purse back what a relief for you, and welcome.

• undercover
    undercover
    Can't ya give it a rest for even a moment, and accept that she got lucky and is relieved? Having that heart-stopping moment of losing a wallet or purse is enough to drain the life out of you. The corresponiding jubilation at recovery is worth sharing, surely without castigation? It's not really a hard balance to strike...

Good points...I agree with you in general and up to a point.

But allow me to meander through my thoughts on this...

A couple of people made a good point...and they asked it in an non-insulting manner. Is it reasonable to really believe that Jehovah (or any God you choose) would save a purse from being stolen?

Apparently Annie didn't fully believe it herself. Otherwise, why would she feel the need to race back to the store, fighting slow cars and red lights and fretting about it? If she truly believed that God would save her from her own negligence, she could have prayed that if it be His will, that he please save her purse and that it will be there when she gets back. At that point...if she truly believed...she could calmly drive back to the store and see her purse waiting in the buggy, just as she asked God to do for her.

But her faith was so little she suffered anxiety and fear, she raced back to the store, relying on her own power to hopefully find the purse.

One might say that it may have not been His will to save the purse, which then again, why fret over it? If your relying solely on Him, then there is no need to feel anxiety as you have left it in His hands to help you either find the purse or cope with the loss.

Lucky for our friend, she found her purse and in her jubilation she felt the need to turn on her computer, sign in to JWD and thank Jehovah. What if the purse had not been there? Would she have come on the board to thank Him for helping her cope as she called the credit card companies and got a new driver's license? Or would she have logged on to blame God for not helping her? Or, more likely, maybe she would have logged on, told us the story of losing her purse and then cursed the oppurtunistic thieves.

Anytime you thank God or any other entity for playing an such an active part in how you found something, or accomplished something (like winning a sporting contest) you risk the possibility of people questioning his actual involvement and your belief in it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Undercover:Ever been accused of overthinking something?

She got her purse back and was happy enough to share, period. I don't think she was trying to convert anyone

Nic:
    Hope ya hd a good vacation. I was away as well and feel a little better for it, albeit the stresses of work are crowding back in. Like you I agree with my comments to a point, but as you know that wasn't the point

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Like you I agree with my comments to a point, but as you know that wasn't the point

Eh? What? Dagnabbit man now you flamboozelified my brain. Stop stomping my newfound inner peace or it'll be a kebab skewers showdown eliminator - and this Greek eats kebabs for breakfast!

Nic'

• undercover
    undercover
    Ever been accused of overthinking something?

LOL...I warned you...

I said "meander through my thoughts" and boy did I meander...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Annie

I am very glad you found your purse.

Maybe you will come back and comment on your thread.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit