10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage Is Wrong

by chuckie77 99 Replies latest members adult

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Qcmbr:

Why should gay partners get rights over pensions etc above family members? In my mind a gay relationship isnot legitemate legally since there is nothing actually binding the two individuals together from a family point of view and while that statement alone will have popped a few veins in foreheads across teh board let me clarify a bit further.

That's kind of the point, that even though it may be a committed long-term loving monogamous relationship, it's not legally recognised because both parties happen to have matching genitalia. Imagine if you died and the person you loved most in the world was left with nothing, while your greedy relatives squabbled over your belongings.

1/ In a biblical sense it was the point at which a man and a woman agreed to be one , to leave the protection of the family unit and raise their own family (multiply and replenish). It was not simply a romantic affair (arranged marriages were the norm and still are in many religious societies) but a uniting of two families and the creation of a third - a uniting that creates a larger family with lineage and cultural permenance.

True. Fortunately we no longer live in such a benighted culture. People are now free to marry whom they choose, even against their families' wishes.

2/ Historically it was the point at which a woman would no longer be provided for by her father and would be handed over both financially and legally to her husband. The man was required to provide financially for the family and in times of attack to defend them. There were good reasons to draw up a legal framework around this relationship in the event of the death of the man for the provision of assets for the children (women were theroetically protected by the dowry.)

Again, things have moved on since then. Most adults manage to be self-sufficient before getting married. Dowries, like arranged marriages, belong to more primitive cultures.

3/ Socially the family unit is proven beyond doubt as the best environment for the raising of children

Please provide evidence for this assertion. Even if true, wouldn't allowing gay people to marry strengthen their family, making it a better situation in which to raise children?

and thus it was in societies interest to maintain civilisation by legally supporting the institution of marriage and to make it legally undesirable to commit adultery and thus potentially break up the family and at the worst create a child who must be cared for by a father who is not the blood relative. The lot of bastard children has not historically been a secure one.

Once again, it's lucky for all of us that society has at least progressed past this stage. Children have the same rights regardless of the relationship status of their parents. And parents have the same responsibilities.

Now we, in our enlightened wisdom, have dismantled the social, legal and religious framework of marriage to the point at which various statements such as 'its just a bit of paper' and the issue of 'same rights' become foremost arguments in the debate about what marriage is.

The religious aspect is of no interest to me; I have no need for your gods or your clerics. Regarding the legal and social framework, we live in a society for the most part based on individual rights, where the old rules of doing what's best for society no longer apply. Individuals are - or should be - free to choose whatever relationship works best for them.

Only now when we(society) treat marriage as we treat most commodities - as a throw away item once it has been used up - do gay couples have the ammunition to claim a framework for families as their own. The seeds of this have been sown in the common law framework set up to recognise unmarried couples living together, once this was accepted it became absolutely a matter of rights and nothing else. On the matter of rights there is nothing to stop two people of the same sex having marriage for let's be honest marriage is only 'a piece of paper' now for there is nothing to define it other than a few pension rights and hospital decisions.

Exactly. Marriage is no longer a means of building family alliances or transferring property. It is an expression of love and commitment. That it is legally elevated over other relationships is really little more than a historical curiosity. There will always be those who balk at any kind of change, imagining that the way they were brought up is the only way things should be, but more progressive-minded people will generally welcome anything that increases individual rights and liberties.

Our society has encouraged through legal laws and a dependency culture the single parent, the co-habitee, the absent father, the divorcee and the exploded family with multiple fathers with only a passing commitment (I'm not talking intent here but if your children live in another home with another father your influence on that family has waned - I know I'm a child of a divorce.) The gay family unit is actually just another mess of the family as we experiment with deconstruction of historical norms.

You've essentially listed several kinds of relationship and several ways of raising children, and jumbled them all up together and asserted that they're not as good as marriage. Why is a child with two parents who love him and provide for him and are committed to him and too each other in a "mess" just because his parents happen to both be male or both be female? Heterosexual relationships - including marriage - can fail. One partner could die, or just leave, or stay and make his family's life hell.

"Historical norms". That's what you want to base society on? Really?

The next stage is that it is now absolutely unfair to deny polygamy, bigamy or inter-family relationships as this is all about rights and no longer about religion or family units.

Agreed. All adults capable of giving informed consent should be allowed to participate in any sort of relationship with any other adults capable of giving informed consent, as long as all parties are informed and consenting.

In this debate few if any consider marriage as a family unit but they think first and foremost of marriage as a romantic engagement between two consenting adults - children are increasngly being delayed as women's careers are seen as far more important, in fact many relationships don't even consider children and don't want them. This is an almost unheard of social phenomenon - getting together with the express purpose of not creating a family.

Lots of marriages are childless. This has always been the case. Due to living in an affluent technologically advanced society, we are able to choose whether and when to have children. Most people would regard this as a good thing, but even if you disagree, it will remain a fact, one which considerably weakens your already feeble argument.

This is the gay basic premise

What's that? Item 1 on the Gay Agenda?

(there are those who want children but clearly they can't have their own - they will take responsibility for someone else's child which is a nightmare for a start and yes if you are wondering I am against sperm donars!)

Hardly surprising. You're opposed to adoption as well, I take it?

The question I have is why do gay couples seek an institution that the straight and religious society once held inviolate and sacred and have since discarded? Love is not marriage in any form and it is not enough to say that because two people love each other they should be married - you don't need marriage to love.

I agree. Marriage is a quaint old institution, a relic of a former time. But some people still like to stand before their family and friends and declare their love for each other. I see no reason why any informed consenting adults should be denied that right.

Though most will see this as a bash on gay people it is more a statement that some relationships cannot claim marriage because of what I define marriage to be and not because I wish to deny rights to people - some rights are not societies to give.

Nor are they yours to withhold. The problem is that married people are generally given legal rights that are withheld from people in other kinds of relationship. This is wrong. My opinion is that marriage should have no legal status. Rights belong to individuals and are the same regardless of whatever relationships they may or may not be part of.

• chuckie77
    chuckie77

Well said funky derek, what a great read!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

As you so clearly put it FD - marriage to you and to the society that hands it out to all on the basis of any relationship is good enough is no more than a quaint custom that allows a public demonstration of love.

I see marriage as something more - it isn't to me an expression and public demonstration of love.

If people want customs let them have them.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Qcmbr:

I see marriage as something more - it isn't to me an expression and public demonstration of love.

What exactly is it to you then?

If people want customs let them have them.

Agreed, so long as those customs don't harm anyone. Of course, allowing some people to have their customs shouldn't mean preventing other people from starting new customs.

I have to say I'm disappointed with the brevity of your response. I had hoped you would be able to defend your position better.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Why should gay partners get rights over pensions etc above family members?

Because a partnership is where two people have made a committment to each other and in doing so have usually become financially interdependent on each other, through years of living together.

Their pensions are their final provision in life that allows them to afford the house and the bills that they share. Pension rights are given so that at the very end of your days when one partner has died the other one is able to remain in the home they shared, rather than being turned out and losing not only partner, but home and memories too.

Other family members are not usually totally dependent on the financial support as is the partner. They are dependent on the finances of their OWN partners. (and hence have their own pension rights)

That is why the partner should have the pension rights, not the family. And in my opinion that should go for any two people who have lived for years together interdependently. Doesnt matter if their genitalia form a matching pair or not. By the time they are old genitalia is probably the last thing on their minds anyway.

Did you REALLY need that spelling out?

• kid-A
    kid-A

Why should gay partners get rights over pensions etc above family members? In my mind a gay relationship isnot legitemate legally since there is nothing actually binding the two individuals together from a family point of view

This statement is so absurd I dont know where to begin. I have known gay couples that have been in a stable committed relationship for well over 30 years. Often they share business, have raised a healthy and well-adjusted child together, have complete financial interdependency and are utterly indistinguishable from any average hetero couple with the exception that they share the same gender.

Are you actually suggesting that after being together for over 30 years, building and sharing a life together, being completely financially interdependent, the partner of the gay individual should have no rights to pension or inheritance of their lifetime companion? That is utterly cruel and disgusting. Newsflash: Gays PAY TAXES, serve in the military, contribute to the economy, do EVERYTHING you do as a citizen and they are no less deserving of the full rights and protections afforded every other member of a given society. Your statement that "there is nothing actually binding them together from a "family" point of view" is laughably inane. What are the absent "FAMILY" elements you are referring to? The drunken lout husband coming home to beat his wife and kids at the end of the day? The neurotic housewife having sex with the garden boy to get back at her negligent and abusive husband? I wonder what BINDS a man and woman together that is somehow superior to the bond between two gay individuals? A brood of snotty-nosed brats being driven around in a mini-van????

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Hear hear Kid-A.

Mind you, I cant see anything wrong with the wife having sex with the garden boy. It only becomes a problem if you dont have a garden boy, or worse still if you dont have a garden.

• Balsam
    Balsam

That was cute. I firmly believe that society will accept gays and there marriages as the generations come and go. Those to still want to believe it is unnatural use religion to cling to it. Though I am hetetorsexual my husband and I have many gay friends and support their having a happy life without prejudice.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Apollyon,

I'm sorry, I seem to have overloaded you with my questions. I'm sorry, too, that you don't seem to want to have a real discussion. But, I'll try one last time...please answer this one simple question...if you can.

Rabbit asked you: Serious question: How do you know you aren't homosexual ? Really, give me reasons...I'm trying to understand something.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Often they share business, have raised a healthy and well-adjusted child together

----------------------------------------------------

ugh, breeders disgust me to no end (and I'm not joking -- if you want something smelly and unhousebroken to give you unconditional love -- get a puppy).

What is most dispicable about situations like the above is that having the child was a blatent PRE-MEDITATED act. Gays have perfected "copulation without population", and have managed to perfect God's greatest gift. Why anyone would ruin this is beyond me.

Same deal with marriage. Marriage leads to divorce. And divorce ain't cheap, and for most guys I know is metaphorically quite similiar to an act you have a great deal of experience with. At least they describe it that way, especially in CA or NY...

To quote Kingdom Melody #666 (Enter Sandman) -- "Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it" :-)
    As for me, I'm holding out for female androids. Or at least a Roomba (robot vacuum cleaner) with turbo-charged suction.

I'm sorry if this is not PC, but it is pure unadulterated "truthiness". And, I'm surprised Colbert hasn't given a similar speech.... :-0

-silent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit