What Did You LOVE About Being a Jehovah's Witness?

by Seeker4 68 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I got nothing. Being raised in it wasn't very enjoyable. I learned to get my small moments of joy outside of it.

Josie

• Kaytam
    Kaytam

I loved the breaks during field service. Hot donuts, coffee chatting away. I liked riding around doing return visits on cold mornings, because mostly nobody was home and it was just social hour. I liked compliments on my talks and dressing up...and wearing slits as high up as I could. I felt kind of naughty lol. My Mom used to pin the slits low then I would go to the bathroom when she wasn't looking, take the safety pin out and cross my legs with the side slit riding way up, then swing my legs. I loved that. My little rebel side. lol

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I loved the ability to travel anywhere in the world and have something instantly in common with people

I was actually thinking of this the other day. I remember being able to visit people a world apart and be accepted because I was a brother. But this is not unique to this religion. There are other religious groups that will also extend a loving hand. (I have noticed a real cooling down in the congregations in my area before I left. As Blonde said, it was all an illusion...)

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I loved thinking I belonged to something special. And then I found out it wasn't all that special after all.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I loved going to the bathroom. I had to space them out so nobody questioned if I had to pee or not. Well, actually, I hated that when some mother was beating her children in there.

okeeeeeey lets seeeeeee.......

sorry pre 1975 was a nightmare, post 1975 sucked.....

friends? they all self destructed, the ones I grew up with, later as an adult they all shunned me

well I tried

• Twitch
    Twitch

Leaving

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

I loved going camping with all my JW friends the week between X-mas and New Years. Since we couldn't celebrate, our parents would make arrangements to take us camping that week --ALL TOGETHER!!

Keep in mind, in Puerto Rico you go "camping" at the beach (one of the advantages of having year long summers). We had a blast. We went diving, boating, skiing and just hung out for a whole week. And when we were older, we would go mostly by ourselves, except for one or two sets of parents. Plus: NO MEETINGS!!

I love that my best friend to this day and I met in a meeting when she was 6 and I was 5.

I love that I met my husband there.

I love that my wedding was a blast where we danced till 3:00 am without any drama because some idiot got drunk half way through it. There was definitely some buzz, but no drunkenness.

I love that my very first boyfriend, who is one of the sweetest, kindest people you'll ever meet, I got from there too. So I get to have that sweet "first love" memory still.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I greatly expanded my gastronomical horizons because I had the opportunity to try foods of many different nationalities. On the down side, it doesn't make dieting very easy.

W

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

hi seeker4

Like your post. I have/had many good memories of growing up a jw, like the ones you posted. But, as time went on and I learned more and more I began to realize how really un-important I was as an individual belonging to that religion. A single sparrow falling to the ground carries more weight. That did some damage to my fond memories. Made them seem...fake somehow. But what the heck, a good memory is a good memory and that has to be worth something.

plm

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I loved the dream of living forever on a paradise earth, until I found out that that was all it was - a dream.

I loved the get - togethers we had at friends houses

I loved, and still do love, despite the fact that most of them show no love for me now, many of the good friends I made in the wts.

I love the fact that I am no longer a jw more than any of them though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit