What Did You LOVE About Being a Jehovah's Witness?

by Seeker4 68 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

I love the bubble I was in! I love being able to tell people the reason for my naivety or lack of knowlege of events and of movies and social retardation is because for 35 years I was held captive in an exclusive cult organization. I love having an excuse for all my ignorance.

• done4good
    done4good

I think LOVE would be an overstatement to say the least. "Tolerated" is more like it.

j

• Fleur
    Fleur

My family recognizing that I was alive.

essie

• freetosee
    freetosee

What did I love about being a JW? I didn’t know better. I felt pity for all the worldly people not knowing the "truth".

Actually, I loved and love some of the people, I enjoyed some of the good speakers and most of all I loved the FS because I had a great territory (we had assigned FS territory, I had student and refugee homes and learned a lot). The conviction of having the "truth" was like a drug. The hope of paradise was beautiful. Travelling and meeting other JW’s was proof of "brotherhood". Some of the wonderful people gave me strength to bare the many, many problems within the congregation.

But with all its good I wish I was not raised and involved the JW life. Study articles and talks which I considered encouraging as a JW are now most upsetting. A number of people who say the JW years were their best is only because it was their youth and not because of being "in the truth". It’s sad when they go back to the illusion.

Today I appreciate that I have learned about the dangers of cults and have developed expertise and sensitivity towards mind-control-groups and can now help others to break free.

Many things I loved then, I hate today

fts

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Freetosee: "Many things I loved then, I hate today"

Yes. I agree.
    S4

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Egg Muffins

Cheese Danish

Shasta Soda

Ha ha ha its almost lunch time over here maybe I'm just hungry

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Um, let's see. Nothing comes to mind, actually.

• evita
    evita

I loved the "love bombing" we got when we first came into the "truth".
    I loved to hear the crowd sing at the District Convention. Very powerful sense of community.
    I loved the excitement and anticipation leading up to the assemblies. Of course, struggling to stay awake the second day was no fun.
    I loved the feeling that we were special, that we knew what others didn't, that we were better because we had the "truth".
    For a brief moment it was all good.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Worldly Andre:

Egg Muffins

Please tell me you're kidding. Those things had no yolks!!!

W

• lilybird
    lilybird

I liked that we had a big group of close friends, both guys and girls as teenagers in our congregation and also in the surrounding Toronto area..In the mid 1970's it was still ok to have big dance parties , go to discos and rollerskating Sunday nites. It was always lots of fun . By the time I was 19 and getting married though, the org cracked down on fun times and I felt sorry for the younger ones turning into teens who were not allowed to have any fun..Looking back.. we all lived in a dreamlike eurphoria of being right when the rest of the world was wrong... The society couldn't stand for the young people to be young for a while.Then I finally realized I was living in a life of no future and no meaning...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit