Lets see where we are now.
Thirdwitnoid acknowledges the following, (whether new or before joining this site)
The Watchtower Society applied to associate itself with the UN / DPI in 1991 and submitted its evaluation form: POST 445
The application was granted in 1992
The grounds for acceptance in association with the UN /DPI are: POST 473
- the NGO must support and respect the principles of the Charter of the UN and have a clear mission statement with those principles
- the NGO must be recognized nationally or internationally
- the NGO should operate solely on a not-for-profit basis and have tax-exempt status
- the NGO must have the commitment and the means to conduct effective information programmes with its constituents about UN activities
- the NGO should have an established record of continuity of work for a minimum of three years and should show promise of sustained activity in the future
- the NGO should have a satisfactory record of collaboration with UN Information Centres/Services or other parts of the UN System prior to association
- the NGO should provide an audited annual financial statement, conducted by a qualified, independent accountant
- the NGO should have statutes/by-laws providing for a transparent process of making decisions, elections of officers and members
(1)Each year an associate has to re-accredit itself, this means confirm ID passes and representatives, Chief administration officer, and associate interests: POST 434
(2)Every four years associated NGOs are required to submit: a new completed evaluation form, which is sent to all associated NGOs at the beginning of the four year period, a quadrennial report of their UN-related activities, at least three samples of their UN-related information materials: POSTs 440. 462, 450
We know that the watchtower knew the rules because they submitted submitted the quadannual evaluation form including samples which are on UN file(2), and they changed their interests on the accreditation form which is also on file(1): POSTs 434, 450
That association continued till 2001
The termination was in response to a news report for 'The Guardian' a British newspaper
(Note: ReEvaluation years for associated NGOs: 2002-2006; 1998-2001; 1994-1997; 1990-1993)
The last evaluation that the watchtower would have submitted would be for the period Jan 1998- Dec 2001. They would also have submitted an evaluation form for jan 1994 - dec 1997.
The 1998 - 2001 evaluation criteria was as show above, and restated by Paul Hoeffel in 2001:
Paul Hoeffel, in a letter dated 11 October 2001 satated:
By accepting association with DPI, the organization agreed to meet criteria for association, including support and respect of the principles of the Charter of the Untied Nations and commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes with its constituents and to a broader audience about UN activities.