For those not sick to death of talking about this...607 BCE

by Swamboozled 601 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Again you have blundered with your interpretation of 'he' and 'they'. You are inconsistent.

10 Owing to the heaving mass of his horses their dust will cover you. Owing to the sound of cavalryman and wheel and war chariot your walls will rock, when he comes in through your gates, as in the cases of entering into a city opened by breaches. 11 With the hoofs of his horses he (this should be they according to you) will trample down all your streets. Your people he (this should be they also) will kill even with the sword, and to the earth your own pillars of strength will go down. 12 And they (why the change to they at this point. Ezekiel is a little late in changing the pronoun isn't he. I guess he forgot in those first two instances above) will certainly spoil your resources and plunder your sales goods, and tear down your walls, and your desirable houses they will pull down. And your stones and your woodwork and your dust they will place in the very midst of the water.’

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

thirdwitness,

I only presented that possibility as a means for you to save face. Since a depopulation of Egypt never occured according to ANY historical record (including the Bible's historical record) I was offerring the possibility it was yet to be fulfilled. After all, Ezekiel's prophecy against Tyre was also specifically referencing Nebuchadrezzar and yet, according to you, Alexander "fulfilled it" a few centuries after Nebuchadrezzar died.

To say that a complete depopulation of Egypt under the reign of ancient King Nebuchadrezzar would have been a "noteworthy occurrence" is a considerable understatement. In fact, for this to have occurred during Nebuchadrezzar's reign would have made this his second greatest achievement. Yet, Daniel doesn't even mention it although he would have been in exile during its occurrence. Neither does anyone else mention it, in Egypt, or Babylon, or the Bible.

More oddly still, this was supposedly prophecied by a Jew and even the Jews don't claim that this happened. I also find it odd that other Bible writers reference Jeremiah, Daniel and Isaiah, but not Ezekiel. Whatever the case, if Ezekiel's prophecy was literally intended, it failed. There was NEVER a dispersion of Egypt among the nations. Such large numbers of refugees would have been reported by many nations, there are no such reports even in casual reference.

There is no evidence, not just in Egypt's records but anywhere (even the Bible), that the prophecy of Ezekiel against Egypt was ever fulfilled. Does God expect blind faith, or logic? The word translated "power of reason" in Romans 12:1, 2 is the Greek word logiken, which is from logikos, which means logic. I use logic freely, I won't be made to feel shame for it, and I won't apologize for it. I reject blind faith as simple-minded, lazy worship, and such it is.

Faith is not belief absent proof. Faith is belief in things unseen based on evidence of things experienced and seen.

Interestingly, I cannot find any place where the Watchtower Society published any distinct timing for the historical desolation of Egypt, they only allude to the factuality based on the existence of the prophecy. Much the same as you. They only summarize what Ezekiel said would happen, they never comment on a specific ancient fulfillment. Care to comment on that absence of organizational backing for your assumptive hypothesis?

When they do expound fully on the meaning of Ezekiel's prophecy against Egypt, they state that Satan stands for Egypt. Which would, once again, put Jehovah as the typical Nebuchadnezzar. Care to comment on why your interpetation differs from their interpretation so sharply? Care to comment on why you derided my suggestion that what the Watchtower Society teaches may actually be the reality, since you were actually deriding their teachings and not my suggestion?

AuldSoul

• toreador
    toreador

Unbelieveable ThirdWitness! You have really gotten yourself tangled up havent you! You are even disagreeing with the GB. You could be disfellowshipped for such things. You rail against Alan and Leolaia that they dont offer proof and then when they do, you cry about long posts, and then completely ignore the points mentioned and refuse to answer.

(shaking head in disbelief)

Tor

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Wow, This is exactly what Greece (one of the many nations that came against Tyre) under Alexander the Great did.

What? You mean that Alexander razed the city and threw all its rubble into the sea, leaving the island a bare rock? Please be my guest and substantiate your claim that "this is exactly what Greece under Alexander the Great did". I would like to see you cite some sources on this one.

Alexander built a causeway to reach the island. That's an entirely different thing.

Oh, but Alan and Steve and Leo say that it was Neb that was supposed to do this.

LOL!! It's what Ezekiel said, silly! We're just trying to get you to read the text on its own terms. If you have a gripe about it, take it up with Ezekiel.

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

I am very sorry but I did not utter the prophecy about the 40 year desolation of Egypt. The proof is in the fact that Jehovah said it would happen. I don't know about you but thats good enough for me. I'm pretty sure that if he could depopulate Judah for 70 years he could do the same thing to Egypt for 40 years. I'm pretty sure that if one angel can kill 185,000 men in one night then these other accomplishments wouldn't be too difficult for Jehovah to do.

Why don't you just come right out and say you don't believe what the Bible said about the 40 year desolation of Egypt and so you don't believe 607 and we can all go home.

Oh, wait, I believe most of you proponents of 587 already did say that didn't you?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

thirdwitness

Oh, but Alan and Steve and Leo say that it was Neb that was supposed to do this

- referring to the total destruction of Tyre, never to be rebuilt again.

No, you said Axexander did this, which both history and the watch tower society disagree with you.

steve

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

What? You mean that Alexander razed the city and threw all its rubble into the sea, leaving the island a bare rock? Please be my guest and substantiate your claim that "this is exactly what Greece under Alexander the Great did". I would like to see you cite some sources on this one.

Alexander built a causeway to reach the island. That's an entirely different thing.

Now your just being plane silly. How do you think Alex built his causeway? And what did he do when he got to the Island city? You sure are getting ridiculous in your pursuit of phantom 587.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

If Tyre was no more and not rebuilt, why is Jesus depicted as going there in Matt. 14:21;Mark 7:24, 31, etc.? And how does Paul manage to go to an unexisting place that has a Christian community? Acts 21:3-7

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Steve said: No, you said Axexander did this, which both history and the watch tower society disagree with you.

No you misunderstood me. I realize that Tyre was rebuilt after Alex. It was there in the first century. It was not until after many nations came against Tyre that it would never be rebullt. That is exactly what Ezekiel said. That is why he said 'many nations' and 'they'. On the other hand he decribed the attack by Neb as coming from 'he' Neb.

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

But if you can quote me where I said that Alex was the one that would devastate Tyre to the point of never being rebuilt I will certainly admit that I mistyped. I have never believed that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit