For those not sick to death of talking about this...607 BCE

by Swamboozled 601 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

OKay, a little clarification is required for your pictures of Tyre.

The first picture is of a Crusader cathedral connected by Roman-Byzantine roads.

The second picture is of a three-bay monumental arch and one of the largest Roman hippodromes ever found

The next is from a roman street

The next is part of the roman water system

The next in a Roman bath house

The next is also part of the Roman Bath House

And the final picture is a Roman Aqueduct

Tyre came under Roman Rule in around 64 BC.

So thirdwitness, once again you yourself have proven to all of us here that Tyre was rebuilt many times. Thank you for your research on this matter.

The ancient city of Tyre now lies in ruins. It was never rebuilt. This fact is ignored.

I obviously gave you to much benefit of the doubt when we started having this discussion if you believe this. Quite frankly what planet do you live on? Read the reports of the tourists from where you obtained those photos. If you truly can not accept that Tyre was rebuilt many, many times, and, that it still exists today, I would recommend some serious counseling from a qualified practitioner.

You may presume to know the mind of God and what he meant but my belief is that all the Bible prophecies are true.

I think the pot is calling the kettle back here. I have never said I know the mind of God. In fact there has only been one poster who has concluded to know the mind of God, and that is you, in the next sentence:

I must therefore conclude that Jehovah meant that the ancient city would lie in ruins and not be rebuilt but that there would be activity there such as fisherman with their nets. Just because a city has been built around the site of the ancient city does not negate the prophecy.

For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your argument has no merit.

But it is you telling us what was in the mind of Jehovah. You are the epitome of a false prophet apostate.

Again, I prefer to go with God's word rather than the interpretation of AlanF.

No you don't, you consider your own words higher than what is written. And you know that full well, but you are so scared to offend the fundamentalist organization you praise to admit it. What an apostate of Jehovah you are.

Sorry about that but I do not consider your words equal to Ezekiels, Zechariahs, Isaiah's...

But we are conclude that your words are more accurate than there's as you have posted?

For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word.

What we presume is that the blinding obvious interpretation of yours is absolutely - totally incorrect.

Thus your argument has no merit.

Because it isn't what your apostate organization teaches.

So does the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. Do you deny that also? I bet you were also one that claimed that Belshazzar never existed? And that Pilate never existed? Until they found the evidence. You are willing to accept the interpretation of secular historians from the meager historical information they have rather than accept the word of God. Sorry I am not willing to do that. For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your argument has no merit.

STRAWMAN. Stick to the point you are trying to answer. The LITERAL interpretation of 40 years is proven, beyond any possible doubt, to be incorrect. So, your apostate interpretation is wrong.

Various Bible commentators also accept that God is a Trinity. In fact, most do. For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your argument has no merit.

STRAWMAN. Its your apostate interpretation that people disagree with

Speculation you say. Here is some speculation for you

Once again we go back. Its your interpretation we have a problem with. As shown by yourself, if Ezekiel wrote things down as Prophecies, directed by Jehovah, and Jehovahs word with out a shadow of doubt is infallible, then what Ezekiel wrote down could not have been literal. To say so would be to deny Jehovahs prophets. Your interpretation deny the prophet Ezekiel infallibility. Therefore you are an Apostate.

steve

• avengers
    avengers
    And the fool speaks many words

Ecclesiastes 10:14 (nwt)

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

thirdwitness said:

And since the Tyre prophecy is wrong then the Egypt prophecy is wrong? Why not take it a step further and say that if these prophecies are wrong then other Bible prophecies are no doubt wrong and thus the Bible is nothing but a man made book of some true prophecies but some false prophecies so it really cannot be depended on at all.

You make a good point here, thank you.

With the postings of 3wd the board has become much more alive, Thanks 3JW

Danny B

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    OKay, a little clarification is required for your pictures of Tyre.
    The first picture is of a Crusader cathedral connected by Roman-Byzantine roads.
    The second picture is of a three-bay monumental arch and one of the largest Roman hippodromes ever found
    The next is from a roman street
    The next is part of the roman water system
    The next in a Roman bath house
    The next is also part of the Roman Bath House
    And the final picture is a Roman Aqueduct

I was preparing to post similarly but you beat me to it, stevenyc! T-wit's dishonest, ignorant or desperate use of those pictures was driving me nuts too, but this is a heckuva thread to trawl through.

• startingover
    startingover

I have read quite a few of these 607 discussions now and I really appreciate all the effort some of you have put into it.

I have come away from discussions about 607 with my JW father totally amazed at the mental gymnastics and word games it takes to stick to a cherished belief.

I've asked this before and I'll ask it again, is there anyone out there that has read this discussion and now come to the conclusion that 607 is right?

• rassillon
    rassillon

thirdwitness' definition of being rebuilt: For thirdwitness to agree that a city was rebuilt it would require having detaild blueprints, drawings, photos, and eyewitness evidence of the first construction. Then during the rebuild, every stone that was used originally would have to be re-used in the same exact place in the same exact building by the original builder of that building. If any stones were destroyed the dust of "only" that stone would have to be gathered and heated under pressure until it formed a stone again and then placed in the exact place in the exact building by the original builder. The entire city would have to be weighed and must be within +/- 100 grams of the original city's weight. If these guidelines are not met it can be officially stated by Department of Reconstructive Antiquities that the city hasum notum binum rebuiltum -r OH, BTW, 3RDNITWITNESS, YOU HAVE NEVER ONCE ANSWERED ME. I tried several times to get you to answer. You must not feel that confident about your argument.

• rassillon
    rassillon

Hey, I keep looking for the United States on a Mexican map.????? All I can find is Estados Unidos?????? I guess the United States doesn't exist ????? Damn, then neither do I......

• AlanF
    AlanF

thirdwitness, your arguments, while not generally as completely stupid as those that scholar pretendus presents, are rapidly approaching their level.

: You have just done what people do when they have no plausible explanation. And that is, make big long posts that could have been said in about 3 sentences thus trying to confuse the issue.

This is an incredibly stupid statement, but one we've come to expect from JW defenders. Dismiss the facts, and ignore the evidence.

The fact is that I and others made simple arguments early in this thread, but you kept challenging us to present full evidence. Now that we've done so, you complain, "Don't confuse the issue with facts!" Hypocrite!

: Your whole entire theory is based on nothing but the meager secular evidence

Wrong. I, Leolaia and others have presented a great deal of biblical and secular evidence. The fact that you reject it out of hand is diagnostic of your need to worship the JW Governing Body.

And indeed you've neglected 90% of everyone's arguments and evidence.

: and your need to discredit JWs.

While I admit that I enjoy discrediting JWs, it is also a fact that I enjoy discrediting other cults and cultish groups, such as Flat Earthers and Young-Earth Creationists. But I do this with facts.

: Here is a summation of AlanF's essay:

A fair summary, considering you copied it verbatim from my post.

From here on, I'll comment mainly on what Leolaia has not already covered.

: Considering them one at a time what do we find:

:: (1) Ezekiel 26 contains a prophecy that Tyre would be destroyed and never rebuilt; it was destroyed and rebuilt several times in the course of history and exists today with some 270,000 inhabitants.

: The ancient city of Tyre now lies in ruins. It was never rebuilt.

Jeremiah 25:8,9 states:

Therefore the LORD Almighty says this: "Because you have not listened to my words, I will summon all the peoples of the north and my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon," declares the LORD, "and I will bring them against this land and its inhabitants and against all the surrounding nations. I will completely destroy them and make them an object of horror and scorn, and an everlasting ruin. (NIV)

The ancient city of Jerusalem was prophesied to lie in ruins forever. It still lies in ruins. It was never rebuilt.

: This fact is ignored.

This fact is ignored.

: You may presume to know the mind of God and what he meant but my belief is that all the Bible prophecis are true. I must therefore conclude that Jehovah meant that the ancient city would lie in ruins and not be rebuilt but that there would be activity there such as fisherman with their nets.

You may presume to know the mind of God and what he meant but true Bible believers believe that all the Bible prophecies are true. I must therefore conclude that Jehovah meant that ancient Jerusalem would lie in ruins forever, for once a city is destroyed it cannot be rebuilt.

: Just because a city has been built around the site of the ancient city does not negate the prophecy. For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your argument has no merit.

Just because a city has been built around the site of the ancient city does not negate the prophecy. For you to think that Jerusalem exists today you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your argument has no merit.

:: 2) The false prophecy of Ezekiel 26 shows that all other prophecies in Ezekiel must be viewed in light of demonstrated historical facts.

The false prophecy of Jeremiah 25 shows that all other prophecies in Jeremiah must be viewed in light of demonstrated historical facts.

: Again, I prefer to go with God's word rather than the interpretation of AlanF. Sorry about that but I do not consider your words equal to Ezekiels, Zechariahs, Isaiah's... For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your argument has no merit.

Again, true Bible believers prefer to go with God's word rather than the interpretation of thirdwitness. Sorry about that but I do not consider your beliefs equal to Jeremiah's, Zechariah's, Isaiah's... For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your belief has no merit.

I hope that by now, even you can see how miserably stupid your arguments are. But not likely, for such is the power of cult mind control.

:: (3) The 40-year prophecy of Ezekiel 29 contradicts known historical facts, as demonstrated by Leolaia and other posters.

: So does the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. Do you deny that also?

I don't doubt that there was an exodus of sorts, but certainly not of the some 2.5 million people claimed by the Torah. It is an uncontrovertible fact that 2.5 million people trekking around in an area the size of the Sinai desert will leave traces. No traces implies no huge wandering group.

: I bet you were also one that claimed that Belshazzar never existed?

Um, that was settled about 150 years ago, you moron.

: And that Pilate never existed? Until they found the evidence.

Nope, never doubted it.

: You are willing to accept the interpretation of secular historians from the meager historical information they have

Nonsense. I accept secular information based on its own merits, and when needed I compare all evidence to sift out the facts based on a preponderance of good evidence. This is quite unlike JWs, who sift out the facts as needed to support the Watchtower Society's claims about what the Bible says.

: rather than accept the word of God. Sorry I am not willing to do that.

Too bad for you. It means that you must accept all sorts of nonsense, because a literal reading of the Bible (and of course, for JWs that means nothing more than what the Watchtower Society claims is literal) demands it.

You must accept that God created everything in six days (Exodus 20:11).

You must accept that Jerusalem no longer exists (Jeremiah 25:8,9).

You must accept that there was a global Flood a few thousand years ago, when there is no evidence whatsoever for such a thing.

You must accept that the earth is flat (Matthew 4:8; Daniel 4:10-11; Isaiah 40:22).

You must accept that the sun revolves around the earth (Joshua 10).

Need I go on?

: For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your argument has no merit.

Nonsense.

First, you're confusing your desire to claim that some biblical passage is literal with whether it really ought to be viewed as literal. To do that, you would have to be inspired.

Second, It has already been shown many times in this thread that an apparently literal passage cannot be literal if it contradicts demonstrable facts, or it simply cannot be true. That this is necessary is proved by the fact that you must interpret several items on the above list as figurative or symbolic in order to retain any faith at all in the Bible.

:: (4) Various Bible commentators agree that the figure of 40 years in Ezekiel 29 must be viewed as figurative or symbolic.

: Various Bible commentators also accept that God is a Trinity. In fact, most do. For your argument to have merit you must presume that you know more than God and that the interpretation of secular evidence negates His word. Thus your argument has no merit.

Nonsense. Watchtower teachings have often claimed that some interpretation was God-given, only to change it when its leaders decided to accept some facts that said differennt. Again you merely assume that whatever the Watchtower teaches is 100% correct, and inspired.

C. T. Russell taught that his entire chronological system contained nothing but "God's dates", yet today, only 1914 is left.

:: (5) Watchtower defenders have given no reason to doubt the above points, but have given only speculation and mere nay-saying.

: Speculation you say.

No. "Speculation" I've PROVED. See below for an example of how you speculate wildly.

: Here is some speculation for you.

: Ezekiel 29:10 . . .

: Hmm, lets see. After reading these verses which do you suppose would be speculation?

Leolaia has adequately answered this and your remaining claims.

: If the 40 year desolation proved 587 you would not be making these outlandish arguments against God's words and you know it.

Of course I would. I'm interested in the facts -- not your wild speculation about what I might do in a hypothetical situation.

: Your only reason for formulating such unreasonableness is because you cannot admit that JWs are right about 607 after all.

JWs and the preceding Bible Students have been wrong about this whole silly 1914 chronology from the get-go. Every date except 1914 has been abandoned, along with the unscriptural speculations derived from them. JWs today are no more right about 607 than they were about 606, or 1874, or 1878, or 1881, or 1904, or 1918, or 1925, or 1941, or 1975, or 2000.

Really, thirdwitness. The handwriting is on the wall. When the present crop of GB members and their cronies die off within a couple of decades, the 1914 chronology will be jettisoned, just as the once-all-important dates of 1874 and 606 were. What will you do then?

AlanF

• Genesis
    Genesis

An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth, run run run but you sure cant hide.

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Well I see you continue to make the same old arguments. Egypt was not desolated for 40 years because the interpretations of secular historians say so.

You just as well argue that God is a Trinity because Bible theologians trained in the seminaries say he is.

Lets take a look at a few of the statements made above that are utter nonsense.

Rather, you yourself interpret Ezekiel in a creative way that denies that Nebuchadnezzar would have destroyed Tyre when v. 7-12 states exactly this. Why do you put your interpretation and secular evidence about Alexander above God's word? Why don't you insist that Nebuchadnezzar totally destroyed Tyre as the text states and all the evidence indicating otherwise are just plain wrong. You should try to be consistent.

No creative interpretation is needed with Ezekiel 26. Since there is some question as to whether Ezekiel was saying Neb would devastate Tyre to the point of never being rebuilt we must turn to other scriptures to see if that was what he was saying. As I showed previously in great detail, both Zechariah and Isaiah clearly showed that this is not what Ezekiel meant. Unless of course you believe the Bible contradicts itself in which case you prove that you put secular evidence over the Bible.

Hmm, let's see. After reading Ezekiel 26, which do you suppose would be speculation? A.The King of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar, destroyed Tyre so that it would not be rebuilt and he threw all its remains into the sea. B. Nebuchadnezzar did not destroy Tyre but only managed to get the city to accept his yoke. The city continued to exist in the day of Alexander the Great who later besieged it, and the city was rebuilt and exists today. The remains of the ancient city are not in the sea but have been examined by archaeologists on land.For a believer of God's word as yourself, the answer can only be A.

After reading Ezek 26 it is not clear who would devastate Tyre to the point of never being rebuilt. After reading the rest of God's word it is clear. Look at my previous post about what Isaiah and Zechariah said about Tyre. Isaiah and Zechariah in case you didn't know are also part of God's inspired word and together they all give us a clear picture of what Ezekiel and thus Jehovah meant. So the answer cannot be A because after reading Ezekiel 26 and Isaiah and Zechariah it is clear that Ezekiel did not say Neb would destroy Tyre to the point of never being rebuilt.

The LITERAL interpretation of 40 years is proven, beyond any possible doubt, to be incorrect.

This is really an amazing statement. Give me one scripture that proves that the 40 years is not literal. You can't. You base your whole claim on secular historians claims of 587. Thats it. Nothing else. YOu have absolutely and positively no Biblical proof whatsoever that the 40 years were not literal. Your evidence is based not on God's word but rather man's word. And you know it.

I've asked this before and I'll ask it again, is there anyone out there that has read this discussion and now come to the conclusion that 607 is right?

How could any honest person conclude anything different? If you believe the Bible then 607 is the only date possible. If you put secular historians interpretations over the Bible then believe 587 or whatever year you want to believe because it doesn't matter since you make God's word invalid.

So the argument still remains the same. The 40 year desolation is not literal because thats what secular historians say. I will stick to Jehovah's 'speculation' as I presented above as found in Ezekiel 29-32.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit