For those not sick to death of talking about this...607 BCE

by Swamboozled 601 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I am very sorry but I did not utter the prophecy about the 40 year desolation of Egypt. The proof is in the fact that Jehovah said it would happen. I don't know about you but thats good enough for me.

Jehovah definitely said that he would destroy Ninevah way back in the 9th century BC according to Jonah 3:1-4. That was the warning that the prophet Jonah was supposed to give. "Forty more days and Ninevah will be destroyed". But guess what?! Jehovah did not destroy Ninevah! It wasn't that Jonah was a false prophet. Jonah wasn't really giving a prediction of the future but a warning and circumstances changed such that Jehovah, in his "compassion", decided not to actually destroy the city. As the prophet acknowledged: "I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity".

You see, just because the prophets gave warnings did not necessarily mean that Jehovah always acted on them. Your unsophisticated attitude towards ancient prophecy is such that because Jonah said that Jehovah would destroy Ninevah back in the 9th century BC, then Jehovah must've really done it. That would be parallel to your insistance that Jehovah must've desolated Egypt for 40 years just because he said he would.

This is the third time I've made this point to you....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Now your just being plane silly. How do you think Alex built his causeway? And what did he do when he got to the Island city? You sure are getting ridiculous in your pursuit of phantom 587.

The ridiculousness is yours. The text says that the invaders raze the city and throw its debris into the sea, wiping it as clean as a crag, AFTER they have broken through the walls of the city after the siege. Alexander built the causeway BEFORE he was able to lay his siege works on the city, as a means of getting to the city. How could Alexander have placed rubble from Tyre into the sea before he even got there? And the causeway was built of timbers and stones in the channel, not rubble from the city anyway.

I didn't think I had to explain this to you.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think I have done enough to correct thirdwitness' errors too. He keeps ignoring my points and I can repeat myself only so many times.

• toreador
    toreador

Leo wrote: This is the third time I've made this point to you....

I am seeing its not uncommon at all for him/her (thirdwitness) to ignore much of what you and others write and try to shift the blame to something irrelevant. Same as with the points about Jerusalem and Tyre both being desolated and rebuilt and his conflicting views with the WTS on such. It is the only way he can still maintain his allegiance to a group of self appointed men who proclaimed many other false dates, such as 606, or 1874, or 1878, or 1881, or 1904, or 1918, or 1925, or 1941, or 1975, or 2000. I havent heard him say anything about these false dates either.

Tor

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

I enjoyed the pretty pictures of the modern day city of Tyre known as Sur in Lebanon but you failed to provide the geographical co-ordinates for the ancient Phoenecian city of Tyre. Ezekiel prophesied in 26:14 that "city will never be rebuilt" but apostates claim that this prophecy is false and that it has been rebuilt.

Certainly, the area in which the ancient island city of Tyre has been rebuilt over the centuries and exists today but I did not see any evidence of that ancient city of Ezekiel's era in that lovely photo from Earth Google. In the future, I may visit Tyre and with my hand-held GPS unit I can feed in those precise coordinates and find that ancient city or the city that has been rebuilt on the precise site of that ancient city

scholar JW

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

scholar,

your a little late to the party mate. We have all already agreed that Tyre was rebuilt. EVEN THE SOCIETY!

steve

• rassillon
    rassillon

thirdwitness and scholar, I will say again, as I have said before, It is the disingenuious half-truthed nature of your arguments which helped me to see the inconsistencys in the 607 argument. If you discussed this in an honest manner you would have more people respect your opinion. You don't and 99% of all JW apologist don't. Honest discussion of the facts is all that some are after. For many if it comes down to the bible and secular opinion they will take the bible hands down. But when it comes to a man's interpretation against archeaology and this archeaology does not challenge the bible you have to choose against the "man's" interpretation. You have been duped by the Watchtower, and because you are embarrased that you were duped by Robert King and found him to be a raving lunatic you ran back to where you feel safe and choose to defend it no matter what. Learn to think on your own. Truth is Truth. I am Jehovah I have not changed. The watchtower is in a continious state of change. -r Oh, and by the way, you never answered any of my posts, which is crazy cause if I were me I would preferr to argue this with me that Leo or Alan who made you look like a fool.

• VM44
    VM44

Notice how The Watchtower answers this question about the "desolation of Egypt" --VM44

w70 10/1 pp. 607-608 Questions From Readers ***

Questions

From Readers

?

Ezekiel 29:1-16 indicates that Egypt would be desolate for forty years. Did that actually take place?—U.S.A.

This desolation of Egypt may have come after Nebuchadnezzar’s conquest of Egypt. Egypt’s downfall had already been pronounced by Jehovah’s prophet Jeremiah. (Jer. 25:17-19) It began with Egypt’s decisive defeat at Carchemish on the Euphrates River by the Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar in the early part of 625 B.C.E. This event is described at Jeremiah 46:2-10 as well as in the Babylonian Chronicles.

Nebuchadnezzar next took over Syria and Palestine, and Judah became a vassal state of Babylon. (2 Ki. 24:1) Egypt made one last attempt to remain a power in Asia. The ruling Pharaoh (believed to be Hophra) came to Canaan in answer to Judean King Zedekiah’s request for military support in his revolt against Babylon in 609-607 B.C.E. Producing only a temporary lifting of the Babylonian siege, Egypt’s troops were forced to withdraw and Jerusalem was left to its destruction.—Jer. 37:5-7; Ezek. 17:15-18.

Despite vigorous warning by Jeremiah (Jer. 42:7-22), the remnant of Judah’s population later fled to Egypt as a sanctuary. (Jer. 24:1, 8-10) But the fulfillment of Jehovah’s prophecies caught up with the Israelite refugees when Nebuchadnezzar marched against Egypt and conquered the land.

Concerning this, Jehovah’s prophetic words state: "And he [Nebuchadnezzar] must come in and strike the land of Egypt. Whoever is due for deadly plague will be for deadly plague, and whoever is due for captivity will be for captivity, and whoever is due for the sword will be for the sword. And I will set a fire ablaze in the houses of the gods of Egypt; and he will certainly burn them and lead them captive." "Make for yourself mere baggage for exile, O inhabitress, the daughter of Egypt. For Noph itself will become a mere object of astonishment and will actually be set afire, so as to be without an inhabitant. . . . For the very day of their disaster has come in upon them."—Jer. 43:11, 12; 46:19, 21.

Thus, the certain devastation of Egypt by the forces of Babylon under Nebuchadnezzar is foretold by Jehovah. And Nebuchadnezzar received Egypt’s wealth as his ‘pay’ for military service rendered in Jehovah’s execution of judgment against Tyre, the opposer of God’s people.—Ezek. 29:18-20; 30:10-12.

While some commentaries refer to the reign of Amasis (Ahmose) II, the successor of Hophra, as prosperous, they do so on the testimony of Herodotus, who visited Egypt over a hundred years later. But the Encyclopœdia Britannica (1959, Vol. 8, p. 62) comments on Herodotus’ history of this period: "His statements prove not entirely reliable when they can be checked by the scanty native evidence."

Also, the Bible commentary of F. C. Cook notes that Herodotus "was indebted for his information on past history to the Egyptian priests, whose tales he adopted with blind credulity. . . . The whole story [by Herodotus] of Apries [Hophra] and Amasis is mixed with so much that is inconsistent and legendary that we may very well hesitate to adopt it as authentic history. It is by no means strange that the priests should endeavour to disguise the national dishonour of having been subjected to a foreign yoke.

Hence, while the secular history of Egypt provides no positive evidence of the prophecy’s fulfillment, we may be confident of the accuracy of the Bible record. There indeed was a forty-year period of desolation as Jehovah had clearly foretold. This may have come when Nebuchadnezzar conquered Egypt following his desolating of Judah and Jerusalem.

• VM44
    VM44

The answer that the Watchtower gives is.....the desolation of Egypt took place because the Bibles says it would.

This statement has also been made repeatedly in this thread by ThirdWitness.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

That 1970 "answer" from the Watchtower is one of the worst answers I have seen. The question from the reader is not directly addressed, and never really answered. --VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit