For those not sick to death of talking about this...607 BCE

by Swamboozled 601 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

For the benefit of pseudo-scholar who claims that ancient Tyre is submerged under the sea and that the present-day city of Tyre is not located at the ancient site, I provide the following map with overlaps the two graphics provided in Marriner's article:

I highlight the coastlines as follows: in red I give the coastline of ancient Tyre as it was in Phoenician times. In blue I give the coastline of present-day Tyre. And in orange I give the ancient coastline of the mainland. And in pink I've highlighted the part of ancient Tyre that is still presently not submerged and which is presently occupied and urbanized to this day. Even part of the ancient harbor today has buildings on it.

Here is the description of Tyre in Roman times; note how it mentions how the city "restored itself" after the desolation of Alexander:

"Tyre is wholly an island, being built up nearly in the same way as Aradus; and it is connected with the mainland by a mole, which was constructed by Alexander when he was besieging it; and it has two harbours, one that can be closed and the other, called "Aegyptian" harbour, open. The houses here, it is said, have many stories, even more than the houses at Rome, and on this account, when an earthquake took place, it lacked but little of utterly wiping out the city. The city was also unfortunate when it was taken by siege by Alexander; but it overcame such misfortunes and restored itself both by means of the seamanship of its people, in which the Phoenicians in general have been superior to all peoples of all times, and by means of their dye-houses for purple; for the Tyrian purple has proved itself by far the most beautiful of all; and the shell-fish are caught near the coast; and the other things requisite for dyeing are easily got; and although the great number of dye-works makes the city unpleasant to live in, yet it makes the city rich through the superior skill of its inhabitants" (Strabo, Geography 16.2.23).
  • Kenneson
    Kenneson

Thank you, Leolaia. Tyre continued on until 1291 when it was destroyed by the Muslims. Although it never regained its former greatness, that does not mean it was not rebuilt. There is still a town on the site today. Principal ruins of the city are those buildings built by the Crusaders. There are also some Greco-Roman remains, but any left by the Phoenicians lie underneath the present town.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

ThirdWitnoid:

It was not literal cause secular history says so.

Egypt repented and it never happened.

Those are good ones that I will tell to all my friends when they start telling jokes.

Yes, you do that, you can tell these "jokes" with your field-service-buddies, while walking door to door in your dorky one-zise-to-large-suits, briefcase and all, and glasses an inch thick, pestering people at the door. And then you can laugh at those "foolish apostates"; snicker and sigh in selfrighteous, self-holy, oh sigh, sigh sigh, they are going to be punished at Armageddon, they refused to take one verse ripped out of context, read it and accept it as literal, despite the secular evidence that so strongly contradicts it, and insisted on interpreting the verse in light of this. And they refused to see that one verse, carefully ripped out of its context, in conjuntion with verses in other books of the Bible which has little or nothing to do with the above one, and to, by this, arrrive at the Watchtower Societys prefabricated interpretations and doctrines, an organisation that has something like two dozens of failed Armageddon-prophecies on their conscience (and look up Deuteronomy 18:20 while you`re at it). And you can snicker on.

And all the while, the joke is on you and your wasted lives. If I was a good person, I would think it was sad.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Damn! 23 pages. 607 is bigger than the "big news"

• toreador
    toreador

Where are the scriptures show that the 40 year desolation of Egypt did happen? Prophetic desolation uttered does NOT equate to it necessarily being fulfilled.

Another poster wrote: If you have any integrity to belief in your success here, you would post a link to this thread on your site.

That is an excellent idea Thirdwitness. If you believe you have shown you have won the argument then put a link on your website.

Tor

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

thirdwitness,

So, just answer me this: Does everything Jehovah says will happen occur exactly as prophesied?

(I made it bigger in case you missed it, it's yes or no, just like you like 'em)

Still waiting...got guts enough to step out on the ledge and back up your words, thirdwitness? Your entire case as presented in this thread regarding the 40 years for Egypt's desolation requires an affirmative response to this simple question.

AuldSoul

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Speaking strictly on the 40 year Egypt desolation...

Where is the biblical proof it happened? Don't give me a prophecy, give me something during or post destruction.

Where is the Babylon Empire's cronicling it happening? I mean to be so powerful to wipe out another nation for 40 years deserves bragging rights!

Where is there proof in Egypt that it happened?

• toreador
    toreador

Oh oh! I think Auldsoul just backed thirdwitness into a very dark corner from which there is no way out. And did it I might add with such a simple question just like what Thirdwitness wants.

Tor

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Quoting AlanF on page 1

Here's a challenge for you, thirdwitness: You pick one topic from the site you linked to, and argue the case on this forum. You'll get a run for your money. But I don't think you, or any other JW-defender, is up to the challenge.

LOL 23 pages and counting!

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Leo: in red I give the coastline of ancient Tyre as it was in Phoenician times. In blue I give the coastline of present-day Tyre. And in orange I give the ancient coastline of the mainland. And in pink I've highlighted the part of ancient Tyre that is still presently not submerged and which is presently occupied and urbanized to this day. Even part of the ancient harbor today has buildings on it.

Wow, quite a bit submerged. You just convinced me that Jehovah was right. Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit