How much should a married woman show?

by greendawn 75 Replies latest jw friends

• peggy
    peggy

If a woman walks out the door, married or not, and is dressed in such a way as to invite attention, she is doing this for a REASON! If a woman is single, the answer is SIMPLE, she wants and needs attention and may be looking for a partner. If she is married, it could be COMPLEX and worth a discussion.

Peg

• Fleur
    Fleur

LOL@ AuldSoul... concentric rings or no, my friend, I'm holding fire!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, I think it's nice that you think your wife is pretty, so many men seem to forget that a woman needs to feel pretty in their eyes esp. after you've been married awhile.

There is a difference I think in appreciating that your wife is noticed by other men and demanding that she dress in a way that makes her uncomfortable in order to produce that result; the result of men staring.

I have seen him do this to his second wife too...I'm just glad I'm not under that control anymore.

essie

(I prefer skirts I can sit down in without showing the world...the world LOL)

p.s. to those who don't think you can knowingly sabotage a person's weight...it can be done. Replacing low fat items with full fat in the cartons would be just one way...people do all kinds of crazy things to their spouses. it's sad :(

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I think she should go out how she damn well likes and that people shouldn't force *their* morality on her. What a wonderful world this would be if we kept our views and opinions to ourselves and butted out of other peoples business.

As much as she wants!!!

I don't think it's the husband's decision. Despite historical treatment of women as "chattels" (a type of property), woman should be treated with the respect they deserve.

If the wife is dressing like a slut, there must be a reason for it. Rather than attempting to prohibit it, the husband ought to talk with her and determine the underlying rationale for his wife's choice in clothing. Maybe she's sick of his lack of affection/attention? Whatever it is, if the mode of dress disturbs the husband, then I'd bet that said dress mode is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to marital problems.

Rather than feel threatened by it, I'd be happy that my wfe/significant other was fit enough to wear revealing clothing without being laughed at. At the end of the day, I could care less. I have more important things in my life to worry about.

• Robdar
    Robdar

p.s. to those who don't think you can knowingly sabotage a person's weight...it can be done. Replacing low fat items with full fat in the cartons would be just one way...people do all kinds of crazy things to their spouses. it's sad :( Agreed. Another way to sabotage a woman's weight is for her husband to tell her she's too skinny or that he would like her body better if she put on weight. I keep coming back to this part of Greendawn's post: should a dignified husband accept that? Dignified. Is that your term to describe him or his? He doesn't sound dignified to me. He sounds like he has low self-esteem, is jealous and controlling. To be fair to him, you really didn't give enough information to let us know what you mean by "provocatively dressed". I'm not saying that a married woman should dress like a slut. But I do think that if the husband had taken time to compliment her and pay attention, she wouldn't have the desire to strut around town advertising her stuff.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I am sorry if this is controversial but what right has any man got to dictate how his wife or partner dresses? Dress and grooming is a personal issue surely?

The days when the marxist view of women and 'husbandly ownership' are long gone arent they?

DB74

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I don't think it's the husband's decision. Despite historical treatment of women as "chattels" (a type of property), woman should be treated with the respect they deserve.

You got there before me, totally agree though!

DB74

• LDH
    LDH
    If a woman walks out the door, married or not, and is dressed in such a way as to invite attention, she is doing this for a REASON!

How does one exactly 'invite' attention? If a woman receives attention even though she is not dressed provocatively, has she also done something wrong by receiving attention?

This smacks of one degree away from "she deserved to be raped, she was dressed for it."

Please tell me I'm wrong.

• Robdar
    Robdar

How does one exactly 'invite' attention? If a woman receives attention even though she is not dressed provocatively, has she also done something wrong by receiving attention?

LDH makes good points. Any young woman will tell you that men are going to look, no matter how she is dressed. Does this mean that the woman is wrong to ever leave the house? Perhaps she should stay in the kitchen, naked and cooking, prepared to bend over anytime her husband tells her to. Why is it that in the 21st century, women are still being blamed for what men do?

• peggy
    peggy

HMMMMMMMMMMMM.....you got me! Now I have to think! I do know that there are times I dress a certain way and I receive more attention. Sometimes it is planned and sometimes it is not. It could be the way I walk in this world. If I am not feeling good about myself, I tend to keep my head down. If I am feeling good about myself, my head is up, I have a smile, therefore I receive more attention. I can consciously leave the house knowing and wanting a little attention. Either by the openness of attitude or my dress.

I could be wrong......but my point came no where near the direction of RAPE! IMO

Peg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit