Ooooooohhhh...My "unofficial" DA letter...yup...got it in the paper!!

by HadEnuf 91 Replies latest jw friends

• zoiks
    zoiks

Awesome! Well done.

• cognac
    cognac

what kind of work you could do... and even where you should sit in their “Kingdom Halls”.

How do they make decisions on what kind of work you do or where you should sit in the kingdom halls?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

More like decisions on what work you "can't" do and where you "can't" sit at the Kingdom Hall but it amounts to the same sort of oppressive control.

Can't work in a job that carries a weapon. Can't work in a job where you would dispense blood to patients. Can't sell cigarrettes. Can't wear a national flag on your uniform. Can't work in a job that requires you to miss a meeting. Etc...

Can't sit in the back row because that's reserved for whoever the elders decide to reserve it for (people with kids, elderly, DFd, etc.).

• freydo
    freydo

Can't talk to people the elders had thrown under the bus.

• cantleave
    cantleave

There was a Watchtower a few years back that said you should not sit in the same place every meeting.

• cognac
    cognac
    Can't work in a job that carries a weapon. Can't work in a job where you would dispense blood to patients. Can't sell cigarrettes. Can't wear a national flag on your uniform. Can't work in a job that requires you to miss a meeting. Etc...

As far as I knew that was all conscious matters... Also, you can work a job that requires you to miss a meeting, they just discourage missing many meetings. I think to say what job you can or can't take goes a bit to far in our accusations against them...

Can't sit in the back row because that's reserved for whoever the elders decide to reserve it for (people with kids, elderly, DFd, etc.).

Well, I would hardly call that controlling at all. Usually its reserved for elderly and people with kids because imo it's the loving thing to do since it is harder for those people...

Do I think they are a cult? Absolutely. But, when we are not completely accurate in our accusations against the BORG it takes away from our credibility. If somebody who was going to the meetings and studying saw that they would view it as lie and thus there perception of apostates confirmed and there resolve to stay with the cult stronger.

That's my humble opinion on those specific points. Other then that it was very well written.

• yesidid
    yesidid
    Do I think they are a cult? Absolutely. But, when we are not completely accurate in our accusations against the BORG it takes away from our credibility. If somebody who was going to the meetings and studying saw that they would view it as lie and thus there perception of apostates confirmed and there resolve to stay with the cult stronger.

You are absolutely correct Congac.

Misrepresentations, distortions and exaggerations are counterproductive.

y

• feeling good
    feeling good

I was a member of a cult for over forty years, which had the authority over its members to tell them what they could watch, wear, what organizations they could or could not belong to and who they could be friends with. They made decisions for you on how much education you could get, what kind of work you could do, what types of celebrations you could participate in, what medical choices you could make and even where you should sit in their “Kingdom Halls”.

Cathy,

I was blown away at the first sentence about the organization. I would urge you to become a writer... It was the honest truth and it was touching. I believe this letter will open up the minds of many others

Congratulations!!

M

• feeling good
    feeling good

I was a member of a cult for over forty years, which had the authority over its members to tell them what they could watch, wear, what organizations they could or could not belong to and who they could be friends with. They made decisions for you on how much education you could get, what kind of work you could do, what types of celebrations you could participate in, what medical choices you could make and even where you should sit in their “Kingdom Halls”.

Cathy,

I was blown away at the first sentence about the organization. I would urge you to become a writer... It was the honest truth and it was touching. I believe this letter will open up the minds of many others

Congratulations!!

M

• Gerard
    Gerard

I didn't notice this was from 3 years ago. What was the fallout from all of this?

Ada

She wrote a second comment to her local newspaper:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/124267/1/Got-another-letter-published-in-our-local-paper then wrote a goodbye letter to her mum and sister: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/140325/1/My-last-communication-with-mom-sister

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit