My Questions about the US.

by ballistic 91 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

I remember in London reading on the wrapper that it is "medicated."
    oooow, man! Is this your only memory of London? I guess you used a public toilet. It's not what we use at home. In fact I can't even remember if they still use that stuff in public toilets as I can't remember the last time I used one.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I guess, what I'm getting at is that IMO there is not much in the way of scenery between Texas and Arizona unless you go up through the 4 corners region...which is pretty impressive.

Oh and go see the Pixar movie "Cars" as a primer and for more stereotypes!

As for speed traps,

Milepost 204 on I-40, east of Flagstaff is pretty consistent, I'm told by a trucker friend of mine. In general the speed limit is 70-75 MPH on the interstates out west at least. You can go up to 5 miles per hour over that, as Listener mentioned.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

oooow, man! Is this your only memory of London? I guess you used a public toilet. It's not what we use at home. In fact I can't even remember if they still use that stuff in public toilets as I can't remember the last time I used one.

No, it was actually at at two different B&B's (one rather pricey) in London. I'm not into the public toilet thing either but it was so "different" to us that I brought a half-roll home and still have it in my "memories" box of stuff from trips.

At least now I can get that toilet paper thing out of my mind !!! Thanks !

Rub a Dub

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Maybe i can help with a few driving tips.

When driving in the Northeast be sure to use your turnsignals. If that doesn't work you will need to use the jerk-n-wave method. Just give the wheel a quick, momentary jerk while watching the car behind you. You will know it works when the front-end of the vehicle dips down and slows rapidly. Once you have enough room to enter their lane, be sure to follow up with the one finger wave as a gesture of kindness (the middle one is most recognized). This tells other drivers they are #1 with you.

When driving in the South the one finger wave is not well received at all, nor is the jerk-n-wave, particularly if the vehicle is a pickup truck with tires larger than you. A better approach would be to purchase a redneck membership badge. This comes in many forms. One type is a bumper sticker that says "The South will Rise Again". Another version would be a window sticker displaying Dale Earnhart's race car number. This should get you past all of the speed traps. However the very best badge comes in the form of the confederate flag. Tie one of these babies to your car antenna and you will receive a proper welcome including: free beer at stoplights, big smiles from women (check for teeth) and a celebratory "Yeee-Haaaw" from fellow motorists. A word of caution though. While a redneck phrase book may come in handy, as soon as they here you speak they might confuse you with a 'Northerner'. If you hear the word "Yankee" or see them gathering ropes, get out of there quick.

In the West all you need is a gun rack and hunting a rifle to hang in the rear window. Don't worry, you can buy these at any Wal Mart or Toys-R-Us stores.

California is it's own catagory. Here the bumper sticker again comes into play - the more the better. It must say things like "Bush is an Idiot" or "Make Love not War" or "Save the spiney toad". When talking to natives, color your speech with phrases like "Dude" or "Sweeet" or "That's Hot". Don't worry about the context, just go with it. Be sure to wear sunglasses at all times or you could be cited.

I hope this helps,

Good luck

FW ;)

• FairMind
    FairMind

I’ve lived and traveled in the USA all my life (ignore flag icon). I would recommend that you take a few days to visit the area around Oregon and western Washington State. There is so much to see in this area, Mt. St. Helens (active volcano) Mt. Rainier (and many other ice capped mountains), Ho River Rain Forest and the end is almost endless. Whatever you do though, I wish you an enjoyable visit.

• luna2
    luna2

FreeWilly, . That was excellent, dude!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yeah was very funny Freewilly.

Fairmind - the trouble is there is so much. My friend said why don't I check out Australia at the same time! Thing is, I like to soak up the atmosphere of a place. When I hit California, I'm sitting on the beach for a few days. Theoretically I could go to every state but all the time would be spent travelling... and never actually arriving anywhere. OK - I'll do you a deal. If I get bored in SF, I'll head north.

• luna2
    luna2

We slept on the beach one night in Cali...of course, we were just kids. Body surfed all day, ate sandwiches for dinner, showered (sorta..more like rinsed the sand off) right there on the beach, curled up in sleeping bags and watched the sun set...then rise. Doubt I'd want to do that now, but then it was great.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    color your speech with phrases like "Dude" or "Sweeet" or "That's Hot". Don't worry about the context, just go with it.

and if your in the central valley (valley girls)(Chico, Fresno, Sacramento) start all your sentances with, "Like"...

e.g.: like dude, like how ya doin'?... like that's sweet...

Oh, and the word, "hella"...

instead of saying: "that was pretty good", or "that was F'ing good"...

You would say: "Like, that's hella awsome"

AND of course use words like:"the dank", "the kind", the shiz'nit", "the sticky-icky"... if you jest say "pot" or "weed" you'll end up with some nasty stuff that was brought across the border (Mexico) in a cattle trailer smellin' like piss, and full of seeds...

• M.J.
    M.J.

Here's a good resource for your big drive:

http://www.historic66.com/

BTW Santa Fe is a good place to swing through.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit