My Questions about the US.

by ballistic 91 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

My god, there's going to be so many - so rather than spam the board, I'll put them all here... any help appreciated.

What is the best mobile phone (cell phone) to buy when you arrive in the US that has coverage right from the East to West coast and central regions? The phone itself will get ditched after the trip, I just need one that's cheap to use. Do you use prepaid cards? Pay as you go?

What's the best ticket to get in New York to use the sub ways for about a week to go anywhere?

I understand when driving inter-state people use all lanes to pass on the inside and outside. Is it still courtesy to use one side as a slow lane and one as a fast lane?

Do you use those two pin mains plugs in every state (110v) ? Does anyone know if they use the same power supply in Toronto?

thanks

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The far right lane is usually used to get on and off the highway, so hogging it isn't a good idea, but you can use it. You need to keep a good eye on your mirrors, as folks do tend to dart around a bit, especially around cities.

Beware of "four-way stops", as they are NOT crossroads as we know them - you HAVE to stop, and then the first one there usually gets to go first. I have only ever seen one roundabout, in all my journeying - probably for the best, as they confuse the natives

You WILL need air-conditioning, and expect an automatic car, rather than a "gear stick/shift" - other than that the pedals work the same.

I don't know about Canada, but the USA uses 2 pin 110v consistently, as far as I'm aware. You can get a travel convertor at the airport or Radio Shack.

Should you acquire one; for a small fee I might relieve you of that phone when you're done with it

• ballistic
    ballistic
    You WILL need air-conditioning, and expect an automatic car, rather than a "gear stick/shift" - other than that the pedals work the same.

Yep, I've got the car sorted. Or at least 2 of the 3 I need. And I have driven an automatic before which was ok once I realised it's best to use one foot like we do here rather than pressing the break and accelerator at the same time! lol

• Panda
    Panda

Ballistic, It is generally illegal to pass on the right, except in Texas where everyone uses the shoulder of the road to pass. At a Stop light or Stop sign it is legal to turn right AFTER you come to a complete stop. Sometimes there are "turn only lanes" which will give you a green light for you to turn left (often at a busy intersection). Stock up at home for all the little things you'll need to make you comfortable on your trip. Have a great time!

What's the difference between a crossroads and a 4 way stop?

• Highlander
    Highlander

What's the difference between a crossroads and a 4 way stop?

I believe the general rule at a crossroads, is that you don't have to come to a complete stop and it's first come, first serve, as to who gets to travel through the intersection first.

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Right... so at a cross roads, or intersection you don't need to stop completely if there is no stop sign or red light. And you may only over-take on the right in Texas.

• jstalin
    jstalin
    What is the best mobile phone (cell phone) to buy when you arrive in the US that has coverage right from the East to West coast and central regions? The phone itself will get ditched after the trip, I just need one that's cheap to use. Do you use prepaid cards? Pay as you go?

The best way to go is probably a pay as you go phone. The major carriers in the US are Verizon, Cingular, Sprint/Nextel. All those will work just about anywhere in the country.

What's the best ticket to get in New York to use the sub ways for about a week to go anywhere?

You can get day and week passes for the new york subway system. You can buy those tickets at any subway station with a credit card.

I understand when driving inter-state people use all lanes to pass on the inside and outside. Is it still courtesy to use one side as a slow lane and one as a fast lane?

General rule of thumb is that the right lane is the slow lane and the left lane is the passing lane.

Do you use those two pin mains plugs in every state (110v) ? Does anyone know if they use the same power supply in Toronto?

Yes, the adapter you have for the US will work anywhere. I'm pretty sure the same for Cananda.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

For a cell phone I use Cingular. They have nation wide coverage. I have a contract but you can get prepaid with them. Try www.cingular.com

You will need a zip code so you can navigate the website. Just pop in the NY zip code of the hotel you will be staying at in NY.

• z
    z

Like Jsalin said all the same in Canada U.S cell will work and plug 110 driving same passing car on the left (not all the time) must exit on the right off the highway in Ontario every one drive slow if you are in Quebec boy you need heavy foot on the gaze no one will let you pass

• ballistic
    ballistic

Thanks for all your help. It's great.

In England, the place is so small, and everything so well sign-posted that if you've got a good sense of direction and are a man you don't really need an Atlas. Is this the case in America or am I going to need a suitcase full of Atlases from about 12 States?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit