My Questions about the US.

by ballistic 91 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

We have one atlas for all 50 states and Canada and Mexico...you won't need 12

US Atlas

http://www.maps.com/map.aspx?pid=3844

• ballistic
    ballistic

It's all good. thanks. Just one last question, I'm being advised to take internal flights where possible. But I actually like long distance driving. What is roughly the difference in cost of say flying New York to Miami or Dallas to Las Vegas to the cost of hiring a car and fueling it? Much difference? Much cheaper, or more expensive? cheers

• TheListener
    TheListener

Wow, how exciting. I hope you have a great trip Ballistic.

Internal US flights aren't that cheap, especially if you don't buy them at least 3 weeks in advance. Depending on your stay and the number of places you'll be visiting a rental car may be the way to go. Get air conditioning if you'll be in the southeast, southwest, east coat, midwest - oh hell just get ac no matter where you visit.

It is illegal to pass on the right but let's face it most of us do it. I'd rather pass on the right than follow a pokey driver.

Americans tend to be impatient drivers. When the light turns green, move it. Some people are courteous at 4 way stops others are not. Watch traffic as you come up to the stop sign and remember the order. When it's your turn - take it.

When driving on the interstates I go between 5 and 7 miles over the limit. Anymore than that and you're more likely to get stopped by the police.

Get the atlas that Blondie showed. It's the one I use too. It has mileage distances between cites and is very good.

Have a great visit.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Internal flights aren't that cheap. Usually it is cheaper to pay for gas, but the cost of a rental car may throw that equation out of whack.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Just one last question, I'm being advised to take internal flights where possible. But I actually like long distance driving. What is roughly the difference in cost of say flying New York to Miami or Dallas to Las Vegas to the cost of hiring a car and fueling it? Much difference? Much cheaper, or more expensive? cheers

It's a really big country and the distances are further than you might think. For some trips it will be cheaper to fly than buy gas, but if you have to rent a car when you get there, it might even out anyway. If you like to drive, you will enjoy the scenery. We have everything.

We also use Cingular. Good program, and you can get free long distance, but you might have to sign up for a year's service. Not sure. You might go online and see what's available. Lots of people use the disposable phones where you buy minutes. Probably more expensive for those.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings ballistic,

:Is it still courtesy to use one side as a slow lane and one as a fast lane?

If you're driving in or around NYC "courtesy" is non-existant. Hang on for dear life.

DIsmembered

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    If you like to drive, you will enjoy the scenery. We have everything.

For example it's a 7 hour drive from Dallas to the Texas coast (Corpus Christi) and that's all within the same state. As Mulan says, if you like to drive and want to see some gorgeous scenery then take the drive but to drive from say New York to Dallas is probably a 3-4 day trip.

Generally speaking the left lane is used only for passing. At the very least it's where the fastest cars travel. It's considered rude to drive slow (sometimes that means the speed limit!) in the left lane. Beware though, that traffic cops will often run radar on the left lane and there are such things as "speed traps", which are spots or small towns where the speed limit drops dramatically in an effort to raise money for the town by issuing bogus speeding tickets.

Pay as you go is probably the best thing for cell phones, but Nina is the Cell Phone Queen in our house so I'll leave that to her.

Chris

• breeze
    breeze

If you are staying for a while and are going to travel to the south from the NY region, then driving would be the better idea because of the scenery. Plan a day or so just for the smoky mountains, they begin in Virginia with the skyline drive and continue into north Georgia. In the summer you might see a bear or two and the trees and mountains are very beautiful.

If you are going to Miami for the beaches you might look into NW Florida and the Gulf Side of the state. Panama City to Pensacola has the prettiest beaches in Florida. Miami is all but been taken over by the Cubans and the Spanish. It might be interesting for a short visit.

If the international scene suits you don't miss the Orlando area, the entire world is represented there during most summer months. Of course Micky Mouse lives there also.

All of the rental cars are automatic and the wheel is on the other side from british cars, and you will drive on the right lane.

The most beautiful part of the country is the west. Arizona is fantastic.

I have lived in almost all parts of Florida with a five year stay in Arizona.

BREEZE

• Honesty
    Honesty

Though rare, you can still rent one of these:

• Brigid
    Brigid

So, Ballistic's coming to the good ole' USA???

Don't forget a trek to the Rocky Mountains, they are gorgeous during the summer and you can cool off from the scorching Texas heat (just head a little North and West after Texas is through with you).

I shall be on the lookout for a little foreign muppet driving around aimlessly.

Have FUN!

~Brigid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit