How do you handle extremely rude people in public?

by Virgochik 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• breeze
    breeze

Try faking a stomach ache just after taking care of the person you were currently helping and step into the bathroom for a break.

This gives you a minute to deal with them in your mind and gives you a break also. Then they have to get into anothe line etc., to be helped.

I hate it when people show no patients at all.

BREEZE

• beksbks
    beksbks

Virgochick? Did you really just have a hysto? Or were you trying to make a point?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Virgochick:

You handled it perfectly! You made your point and showed up their rudeness without being rude yourself. You have absolutely nothing to apologize for and if your boss asks you to, then he is being unreasonable.

As far as that woman being a nurse, well so was Nurse Ratchet! Thank goodness you weren't her patient when you were in the hospital. Did you really have a hysterectomy or did you say that just for effect?. If so, then you are a really quick thinker as well!

As far as rudeness in general is concerned, in my entire life I have encountered rude sales people maybe half a dozen times. The one year I worked in a retail store, I had rude customers on a daily basis. Some people think that if you are in the service industry, you are their personal servants to abuse as they wish.

Cog

• JeffT
    JeffT

A few years ago while waiting in line at the bank a man and a woman right behind me got in a fight about who was ahead. If this had involved at least ONE normal person it would never have gone as far as it did, as somebody with sense would have just said "you go ahead." Instead these two actually started pushing each other. After a few seconds of this he's call her a b**** and she's calling him an a$$hole, and one of them pushes the other into me.

At that point I said "oh for chrissake I'll just go to the back of the line and both of you can go ahead of me." I then walked to the back of the line and they both left, I think out of embarassment. I've always wondered how they felt about five minutes lateer.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I'd cover them in fish heads and chuck them in Loch Ness

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

I work in a place where the public is restricted and I like it that way.

When in public I put my emotions on hold and do what I need to do and get my ass back home.

Someone told me once they could not stand to be around people because of their rudeness esp. in a public place.He would hum the Darth Vader song in his head and pretend to do the heavy breathing and act as if he owned the planet.This would make him feel better.Made me laugh but I did tried it once on a xmas eve shopping run.It worked.Hope no one heard my breathing.

• Scully
    Scully
    It just blows me away, how a nurse can possibly be so insensitive, knowing my situation.

I just cringe when I hear about nurses treating people so poorly. I might have said "I don't believe you retired... what was your other option? Getting fired for being such a beyotch?"

I guess she and her frumpy friend felt better by hurting somebody's feelings.

Well, that just shows that they felt inferior to you and felt like they had to cut you down. This is probably their modus operandi where ever they go. What they need is a good swift kick in the keister - or being banned from establishments where they abuse the employees - so they do not get a reward for their disgusting behaviour.

You could check your employer's policy on handling rude customers. Report the incident in writing and ask for some EAP counselling because this certainly qualifies as a traumatic event. Employers won't pay attention unless (1) it's in writing, and (2) it has the potential to cost them money. You could ask for a sign to be posted requiring people to wait for the next available employee (Thank you for your patience - the next available customer service agent will be pleased to help you.)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Those ladies would have been ignored and lied to if they'd been served by anybody I work with. Things work differently here though.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Ok, guys, since I've had a few ask, I'll answer on the thread.

Yes, I'm just back to work 8-9 hours a day at the Post Office, on my feet all day, dealing with the public. I'm a little tired, as I did have a hysterectomy. Most days, it's OK, but those ladies women really burnt my butt. I didn't know I was touchy about it, until they pushed my buttons. Thanx for asking!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Virgochick - I think you responded with absolute dignity - well done!

Brooke - you crack me up once again - I bet her hubby loved that and wished he'd one day have the courage to stand up to you! That was hysterical.

I tend to treat rudeness with my own polite condescending version of rudeness and speak to teh rude person as if they are very very simple and hard of hearing so that everyone within 50 yards gets to hear it too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit