OK believers, time to put up or shut up...

by Gregor 238 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

KW13,

I learned a lot from reading your posts here tonight. I think you took a very intelligent route and showed maturity beyond your age. Thank you.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Bizzy-Bee:
    Excuse me, but that was incredibly presumptuous and condescending, surpassed only by actually doing it - and with strikethroughs, no less!

I’ve been re-reading material on logical argumentation. Gregor’s question was very bad. If he wanted a “straight”, “logical” answer, he had to phrase his question differently

You did it again! This is a discussion board, I believe, not Argumentation 101. Honestly, it is difficult enough to get concise responses without going off on critiquing how questions are framed. We do have the option of not answering every thread.

BB

of the "I also don't care how people spell on here as long as I can figure out what they mean, even though misspelling usually drives me nuts" class

• aniron
    aniron
    An 18 mo. old baby toddles into the back yard, sees a pretty leaf in a 5 gal. bucket, reaches for it, tumbles in and drowns in 4 inches of water. If you were GOD you could have stopped it easily without revealing you wonderfulness to anybody.

If you were a sensible parent you would have made sure there would be nothing in your yard that could be dangerous to an 18 mon old baby.

A plane full of good people runs over a small piece of metal as it takes off puncturing the tire which sends debris into the fuel tank. The planes crashes and they all die.

Who didn't do there job in making sure the runway was free from debris? Why blame God for someone elses incompetence.

• corproal
    corproal

aniron,

Good answer.

• KW13
    KW13
    KW13,

I learned a lot from reading your posts here tonight. I think you took a very intelligent route and showed maturity beyond your age. Thank you.

thanks lovelylil.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

But in all fairness you must acknowledge that religous belief has, and still is today, been directly responsible for the cold blooded murder of thousands, millions.

LT: No such acknowledgement need be made at all.

Is it truly religion that causes wars, or is it merely a useful tool to stir the masses? Politics are often behind it, rather than genuine Godly fervour.

LT! Are you serious? The vast majority of wars are fought over religious/ethnic differences. Ever hear of 9/11? Suicide bombers? The Crusades? Besides, politics and religion are so often entertwined, they become the same thing. Yup, you're right that religion is a useful tool to stir the masses. And millions have died because of it.

• beksbks
    beksbks

WOW, I came late to the party.

My question is this..........If god is love, AND all powerful, all knowing, etc. etc. why in the h&ll does he demand worship from the pitifull little creatures he made. Why does he put sharp things in the way, for us to poke ourselves on, if he is LOVE? If you knew any human who taunted and tortured small animals the way "god" does to his beloved creations, you'd say they were sick, mean, or just plain evil. What does he need to prove, and to whom? US???? That idea smacks of either vanity or insecurity, which, if he's god...........????

How about non-christians? These religions are older than Jerry Fallwell, Jimmy Swaggert, OR the Pope, but christians "know better". Same old story, superior, self satisfied, judgemental, opiated, fearful, somebody do my thinking for me, bible pushers.

Ain't no god. Go ahead, somebody tell me ain't ain't a word.

• Gregor
    Gregor

sigh. Well crap! Now everybody is all pissed off at me! But, I guess if I can dish it out I should be able to take it!

OK, I did frame my topic a little confrontationally, but, really, I couldn't begin to count the posts on this site from those who seem to take for granted that everyone here is a born again Christian to some degree or another. By the way, if you read the context of 1 Peter 3:15 you see that Peter was telling the congregation to be "ready to give a reason" for their belief to hostile non-believers (vs 16) and to do so "with meekness and fear (respect)". My basic question was (is) sincere. It has never made sense to me as a JW or since, Why would a loving, kind, all-powerful God allow such evil and misfortune to run rampant in his beautiful creation? Is the story of Job supposed to be the allegory that answers this question? If so, it makes God look weak, petty and frankly, easy to manipulate by his own creation, ie, Satan. It is the lack of a satisfying answer to this question, among others, that has led me to be doubtful of the existence of a God in the sense you all have referred too. Jojochan , I appreciated your thoughts. You come real close to my own feelings.

Honestly, I think a lot of you and your beliefs are like hot-house orchids in North Dakota, you're fine as long as the temp and humidity is in your comfort zone but look out if the door is opened to a frigid wind. A lot of my abrasive posts here were a rather cold, harsh wind. But rather stimulating, eh?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Are you dissing North Dakota?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Gregor,

Your question presupposes that the only real existence is the one we have here. If that were the case, you're spot on.

I am convinced there is much more than this life and that my dear friends and family (and other's dear friends and family) who have died understand these things much more than we can.

Peace,

Cabasilas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit