OK believers, time to put up or shut up...

by Gregor 238 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Point made
    Well that speaks volumes.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hey Gregor.... I think a certain percentage of it is bullshit too. But it is an intrinsic part of some people's lives and does them a lot of good, and I think these people contribute a lot to our community. And only a very small percentage try to ram it down our throats.

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

Well, Greger...I think about your question and ask the same question to myself all the time.....I don't have an answer....I do however, believe in a Supreme Intelligent Creator......I don't believe humans evolved here on earth by chance.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Elsewhere and the flying spaghetti monster (aka, FSM) is, so far the front runner.

Qcmbr - Thanks for the thoughtful reply but you forgot the basic ground rule, a concise answer that makes sense. Sorry, I know it's hard.

Lovelylil - I also appreciate your time and effort. Sounds like you copied it right out of the WT. Why don't you call the elders for a home bobble study, they're free you know.

jgnat- Thanks for editing my post, but I still haven't heard anything logical. Maybe in your implied second installment?

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Don't you get it?? It's ALL bullshit. What's the deal? You have to 'taper' off from your bullshit addiction? All you have to defend your "belief" is vague stuff like, "How could a banana have just evolved?" or some other trite crap.

Yes, I get it. You're an extremely happy person with excellent social skills.

• jgnat
  • lovelylil
    lovelylil

Gregor,

I disasociated from the WT about 2 years ago. And there are MANY Christians who are not JWs who feel the same way. They feel when the end of the Gentiles time is here, Gods kingdom will be set up on earth. There are many scriptures that support this. I was trying to be nice by answering because you seemed really upset. but you know what, next time I am going to go with my instinct and totally ignore posts like yours. Because the only point to this post was to make fun of people and their beliefs. I would never do that to anyone and you proved my point in my answer to you that there are people who really don't give a hoot about others. I feel sorry for you.

• kid-A
    kid-A

As a confirmed atheist since the age of 12, I have spend a considerable number of years attempting to analyze the psychological constructs underlying belief in the supernatural.

Religiosity is at base, a vestigial remnant of the primordial human brain and psyche. Man invented god/supernatural/boogey-men etc etc as a means of explaining that which his primitive mind could not grasp. Many social psychologists would suggest it evolved largely out of mans desperate attempt to deal with 'death' (both the fear of it, and the accompanying grief).

The brain seeks patterns, wants to make a coherent picture of the incoming sensory information. What simpler way to do this then to simply say "god did it" ? What simpler way to deal with one's problems then to say "god will look after it"? What greater comfort can a religionist have than to say "I am suffering now, but someday god will save me and exact his revenge on my enemies". Is this infantile and evasive thinking? Yes. But it is, nonetheless, human all too human.

As for moral absolutes, I believe good and evil are defined culturally and personally, so I have no issues with the morality or lack thereof of a mythical creature in the sky, hence I have no ill will towards the god people, they are simply trapped in an ancient, primordial mode of thinking that evolved along with homo sapiens.

I fear you will not get a "logical" answer from a "believer" on this thread because their "belief" by definition, is based upon "faith", which has no relationship to logic whatsoever. The best we can hope for, as did Neitzsche, is that someday, perhaps thousands of years down the road, the concept of "god" will be relegated to the ancient "toy-box" of the human psyche. He will take his rightful place in the tomb of dead gods along with Zeus, Thor, Woden, Neptune, Baal, Set, Rah, Molach, etc etc.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Kid-A, declaring premature victory on a thread like this is an insult to me and my kind. If the goal is "shut up", flip responses like yours and Gregor's will do the job. I won't play.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Jgnat-

Please don't misunderstand, if your belief in anything has helped you to escape a life you describe as "squalid" and then evolve to the point that you are now considered "wise, kind,..." etc. more power to you. But you must realize that others have done the same thing and they don't necessarily give all the credit to a faith in a god. Give yourself credit for your positive growth.

I started this topic to generate discussion on a subject that I feel strongly about. Please, if you find it upsetting, by all means ignore it. God knows (no pun intended) there are lots of other threads here.

Besides, you still were avoiding the original question.

Peace and happiness to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit