Have you ever had a prayer answered?

by nicolaou 148 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Synergy
    Synergy

My belief is that God answers every prayer. His answers are either, Yes, No, or Not Right Now. I have prayers answered all the time. Mind you, I don't have everything I want but I am taken care of and I feel God walking with me through life. Sometimes when we feel like we're not being answered we need to reexamine what we're asking for. Maybe we already have the answer or the object and God wants us to find it.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    Why would he answer that one prayer and none of the other of millions of requests I prayed for? If he would have answered my prayer for a JW husband, I probably would still be under their control.

Purza

Made me think of this country music song that has in it's chorus "I thank God for unanswered prayer." Actually He did answer your request for a JW husband, He said "no".

Thank you God that you did not answer my mom's request for a JW husband. WHAT A NIGHTMARE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN! A JW step father would have been horrid.

• Purza
    Purza
    Actually He did answer your request for a JW husband, He said "no".

Thanks Kate. You are SO RIGHT!!!! I have the most perfect husband now (IMHO). I guess my prayer really was answered.

Purza

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Sometimes, yes. Not only were they answered, but it was amazing how things fell into place & the people who I met were just the people who helped me. One day, I'll have to write a book on how many times it did work. For example, I met my spouse and had one rugrat through a prayer. I went to school, passed tests, all with the power of a prayer.

Sometimes, no. But, I "hope" and "pray" that they do...or that #1 Upstairs has a reason for not granting my prayer. I still pray to win the lottery....but that hasn't happened yet.

Right now, I pray for Lawrence Hughes.

Skeeter.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I recently prayed for the sale of the previous house we lived in...mind you we had it with 2 different realtors; I wanted it sold and asked God for the widsom to get it done; only when my husband agreed to lower the price did the right person come along; we close on it Thursday; the woman who wants is crazy about it (don't know why but to each his own) and I am ecstatic! Whichever way it happened as long as it sold!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Oh my! So many positive responses! Do you have any idea how conflicted I feel? Do I vigorously pursue this or do I start down the line of reason? If individuals are happy and content should I leave well enough alone?

Hmmmm....

• force
    force

i would think in most cases answered prayer is somethig that cant be proved. same as people who believe their stars and then when it happens think it must be true. or people that say they seen a ghost.

what i dont get about prayer, is most people say their prayers dont get answered, and some say they do. does God have favourites?

i have never had a prayer answered.

• mdb
    mdb
    i would think in most cases answered prayer is somethig that cant be proved. same as people who believe their stars and then when it happens think it must be true. or people that say they seen a ghost.

what i dont get about prayer, is most people say their prayers dont get answered, and some say they do. does God have favourites?

i have never had a prayer answered.

Why are some prayers not answered while others are?

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. ~ 2 Ch 7:14

When we look at the scriptures (Rom 8:26-27, Eph 6:18, Jude 20:21-22), all saints aught to be in intercessory prayer whenever they pray. If we are followers of Christ, we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us as a deposit. The Holy Spirit interceeds on behalf of the saints and in Eph 6:18 and Jude 20:21-22, it says to pray always in the Spirit. If we pray in the Spirit, the Spirit will make intercession for us so that we may pray and bring our supplication to God in accordance to His will (Rom 8:26-27). Are your prayers selfish? Are you praying to have a bigger house, a better car, to win the lottery? Is that God's will or yours? If you pray in accordance to His will, pray in the name of Jesus and believe that you will receive that which you have prayed for (a prayer offered in faith), your prayers will be answered. If you pray with your lips, but your heart is far from Him, do not expect anything you ask for to be answered.

praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints ~ Eph 6:18

But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. ~ Jude 20:21-22

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. ~ Rom 8:26-27

Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him. ~ 1 Jn 5:14-15

The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord,
    But the prayer of the upright is His delight.
    The way of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord,
    But He loves him who follows righteousness. ~ Prov 15:8,9

The Lord is far from the wicked,
    But He hears the prayer of the righteous. ~ Prov 15:29

One who turns away his ear from hearing the law,
    Even his prayer is an abomination. ~ Prov 28:9

Hear the word of the Lord,
    You rulers of Sodom;
    Give ear to the law of our God,
    You people of Gomorrah:
    “To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me?”
    Says the Lord.
    “I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
    And the fat of fed cattle.
    I do not delight in the blood of bulls,
    Or of lambs or goats.
    “When you come to appear before Me,
    Who has required this from your hand,
    To trample My courts?
    Bring no more futile sacrifices;
    Incense is an abomination to Me.
    The New Moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies—
    I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting.
    Your New Moons and your appointed feasts
    My soul hates;
    They are a trouble to Me,
    I am weary of bearing them.
    When you spread out your hands,
    I will hide My eyes from you;
    Even though you make many prayers,
    I will not hear
    Your hands are full of blood. ~ Isa 1:10-15

For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
    And His ears are open to their prayers;
    But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” ~ 1 Pet 3:12

And they were helped against them, and the Hagrites were delivered into their hand, and all who were with them, for they cried out to God in the battle. He heeded their prayer, because they put their trust in Him. ~ 1 Ch 5:20

Jeremiah's prayers for the people of Israel were not answered because God said He would not hear them:

So do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them; for I will not hear them in the time that they cry out to Me because of their trouble. ~ Jer 11:14

Even when I cry and shout,
    He shuts out my prayer. ~ Lam 3:8

You have covered Yourself with a cloud,
    That prayer should not pass through. ~ Lam 3:44

Do you believe you will have what you ask for?:

And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” ~ Matt 21:22

Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. ~ James 5:13-16

Your prayers can be hindered by your lifestyle:

Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered. ~ 1 Pet 3:7

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No. Accepting that fact made me realize I was fooling myself.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    So many positive responses! Do you have any idea how conflicted I feel? Do I vigorously pursue this or do I start down the line of reason?

There are tons of "opinions" out there, mine included.

What I believe in is Direct Experience. Not something theoretical, not somebody else's story, but Direct Experience; that is, my own experiences and experiments in life. Conduct your own experiments in your life. Reading books is great. Hearing other people's input is necessary. But after a while you need to put down the books and stop talking to other people and find out for yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit