Have you ever had a prayer answered?

by nicolaou 148 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

LV101 - Well said.

We have messed up this world in ways we cannot even imagine. How much further might science be in warning people of natural disasters, or diseases, etc... if we hadn't spent most of our existence spending that money on wars, or entertainment (to the extreme), etc.? The state of this world and all the abuse and heartache within it, are all natural consequences to the choices we have made throughout time, and continue to make. But we want God to fix everything... even though we continue to do the same things.

I cannot answer why some prayers get answered and some do not. Some prayers might not be within God's will. Some prayers might be in conflict with other prayers, or to grant them would be bad for that person or another in the long run - or might even affect someone else's will (such as praying to free your family from the WT, when they do not wish to be freed). Some might not be praying through Christ, to His Father. Some might not have faith in what they pray for.

But I don't think its fair to have a thread that asks people if their prayers have been answered, and then fall back on the 'what makes you so special'? Who is to say that any prayer would be too petty for God to answer?

I don't think there is anything that I have prayed for that could not be explained by some other means. But the timing, as Nobleheart mentioned, is powerful. Also, put the many prayers together and help granted, and the explanation needs to get just a bit better than coincidence, too :)

I have asked for mildness and inner peace (to help a situation at home) and received it, after many years and different attempt of doing this on my own, and failing. I have asked for an answer to something I do not wish to reveal, and received that answer immediately. I have added my voice in asking for help for the survivors in Japan who are hidden and lost or buried, to be found and saved, and then read what someone posted ten minutes later, assuring me that such things were already happening - it was also an answer to something else I asked. I have asked for my book to be published (after years of refusing to ask for something so self-serving and unimportant), and I had a book contract two weeks later.

I have thought about the one thing I asked for that I have not yet received, though I accept that my faith is not quite strong enough to receive it (yet), for one. And for two... it also falls into the realm of what I posted above. Asking God to clean up a mess that I have made, and that I could (and should) work hard to clean up myself. Perhaps sometimes, if it is something we caused, and something that we should clean up ourselves, then God leaves it to us to do so.

I didn't want to reveal too much, because they are personal and private, and I don't want people to know my prayers... those are between me and God, and His Son. But I was reminded of the time Christ told a man he healed to go and tell people how much God had done for Him, and so I decided to share a few of them.

Tammy

• Spade
    Spade

Yes, I have.

• LV101
    LV101

tec --- your humility about cleaning up your own messes (good advice for all of us --- i'm always reminding myself that God gave us brains and we are capable) really is the same responsibility we should accept in taking care of abused/starving mankind --- mankind's messes. i really need to apply more effort/work at helping others and appreciate your comment.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

very well said, dario.

@lvl101 & @tec & @nobleheart etc.:

so because some people messed up parts of this world, god would rather give a job to someone living in the USA than protecting someone's life in ruanda? or was it because they didn't use "in jesus' name"? or was it that they didn't pray hard enough? or did it fit god's plan better to publish a book than protecting one's life? maybe god can only do simple favours?

why on earth do you follow a god that behaves like that?

and about the earthquake victims: of course some are found, that's not because of your prayers "in jesus' name", that's because of people searching for them. and many will NOT be found!

• on the rocks
    on the rocks

As a boy( 11 years) I prayed for a pair of shoes....I got it the next day

• tec
    tec

so because some people messed up parts of this world, god would rather give a job to someone living in the USA than protecting someone's life in ruanda? or was it because they didn't use "in jesus' name"? or was it that they didn't pray hard enough? or did it fit god's plan better to publish a book than protecting one's life? maybe god can only do simple favours?

We ALL have messed up the whole world; not just some people and some parts. Right now, some people are working to clean up some of that mess. BUT we continue to create that mess every day - from greed, or apathy, from taking what we want from other countries, from ignoring the homeless on the street asking for help, or turning away when someone is being hurt - emotionally and/or physically. We look down our noses at drug addicts or alcoholics, etc, etc. If we could just realize that we have caused these problems, accept responsibility -each and every one of us - we might finally be able to create a better place.

As for the rest, I already gave my thoughts on that above. You could just re-read my post if you wanted.

and about the earthquake victims: of course some are found, that's not because of your prayers "in jesus' name", that's because of people searching for them. and many will NOT be found!

Of course some were found by people are searching for them. Some were also miraculous. Like the baby who got swept out of her parents arms by the wave, and was taken away in all of that disaster on her own, and then later found under some wreckage, alive. That was a miracle.

People's prayers may or may not be heard and answered, I don't know; but the prayers of the saints are heard and answered.

Tammy

• simon17
    simon17

Some were also miraculous. Like the baby who got swept out of her parents arms by the wave, and was taken away in all of that disaster on her own, and then later found under some wreckage, alive. That was a miracle.

See this just shows the nature of people devout in prayer: If you want something to be true, then at all costs you will find some justification of why it is true.

You want prayer to be true so bad that you will dismiss a hundred babies that were swept away to their deaths and not for once associate that with God or question God. But as soon as ONE baby happens to get saved, then, hallalujah, its a miracle! And God has shown has power and love and ability to answer prayers.

Do you see how it is impossible to every get you to feel differently? You will ALWAYS seek out something, some pebble of hope, that will keep your view of reality true, no matter how much evidence against it assembles.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Tammy, I found your last post intellectually dishonest and more than a little offensive. If you want me to explain why I'll do so but frankly I'm content to leave you alone, I've no desire to join your psychotic little head games.

• tec
    tec

Nic, I'm not trying to play a psychotic little head games with anyone - I have never been into games at all, but rather, honesty. I can't help if you found what I posted offensive. It was not my intent to offend you or anyone. I don't know what you found intellectually dishonest either, so please explain if you like, so that I might either see what was dishonest about what I wrote and be given a chance to rescind and correct if need be... or... have a chance to defend myself and my view.

There is no hurry, mind you. I've been home all day, but have to go to work soon for the night, and may not get back on until tomorrow.

Tammy

• whereami
    whereami

nicolaou I feel the same way. I was going to continue to participate in this discussion but after the last few post I just felt like it's just not wort it with certain people.

They perposely avoid your questions and don't stay on topic, pussy footing around the serious issues doing some of the best mental gymnastics I've seen.

Again I'm sure deep down inside they're good people. But it gets difficult to discuss these issues when people continue to act like their former cult.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit