Dan Sydlik dies, the last of the moderating forces.

by SadElder 126 Replies latest jw friends

• Confession
    Confession

Hi, Randy...

I think the difference is in a case like the GB members is that they get together and DEBATE the ethics of certain issues! They are not "captives of a concept" in the sense that they are just being carried along in a wave.

I definitely get this. In fact it isn't terribly different from when you and I were elders, is it? Weren't there situations in which we had to debate whether a person was or was not repentant? Elders would pray--and then discuss the most minute aspects of things that the person in question had said, done--or didn't say or do. Then we would judge this person--as if God's personal prophet. I was always of the mind that you gave the person the benefit of the doubt--unless it was perfectly obvious they weren't repentant. Now, of course, I detest the very idea that I was involved in such a thing. But at the time I thought I was doing my part in "God's Theocratic Arrangement."

If you read my above post, you know that I did not say anything about their "INNOCENCE of the issues." In fact I wrote that ultimately they are responsible. Just like I was responsible for things I may have done as an elder. Just like my mother and father would have been if they allowed me to die without a blood transfusion. To me, in order to assign evil status to them, I think you have to demonstrate that they didn't truly believe their debates, discussions, votes, etc. were part of God's arrangement.

• integ
    integ

The more I think about it, the more I've come to the opinion that we really don't know for certain Sydliks' views on things. How he voted, or maybe that he tried to reform the whole mess. We don't know for CERTAIN. I'm trying not to be as judgemental as I have in the past. God is the FINAL judge.

I'd have to say though if I were a jury member on his life based on the evidence, that he was at the very least in collusion with everything, which would make him guilty. Guilt by association perhaps?

Guilty of what?

Accessory to murder?

maybe.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"Who was more responsible Hitler for giving the order to kill or the soldier who pulled the trigger or turned the gas chamber valve??"

I guess i just view the whole matter differently. I believe the person who pulled the trigger is the one who is more responsible - not implying, of course, that the person giving the orders is innocent. In my mind, it is irresponsible by trying to absolve a parent from guilt in letting their child die. They made the decision, they will live with it. Yes, it is wrong of those who taught them what to believe - but those parents CHOSE to believe it and chose to ACT on it. Do we not have free will? I'm sorry, but I just can't see it any other way.

Is it such a sin for me to have fond memories of Dan Sydlik? I fully realize that he may have been a full contributor to the unloving and deluded policy of no blood, or merely have not done anything about it. Yes, it is wrong and there is no excuse, no redeeming factor for him. But I also do choose to acknowledge my good memories of him. I don't see anything unhealthy about that.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Did the Jehovah's Witnesses ever FORCE us to become part of their cult? NO. Misled yes. But we had a choice.

Hitler. He on the other hand FORCED executions...you had no choice.

You cannot compare the two. One was led by Satan.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Everyone has choice. The reprocussions of those actions may be huge, yes - even lose your life. But all his officers and soldiers made their choice, some more cognitively than others, yes, but everyone pays for their own actions. We may be easily manipulated, but we are not robots.

• IW
    IW

Dan Sydlik was a good man. Not perfect man but a good man.

Any here who would cast a stone let him declare his own perfection!

IW

• zagor
    zagor

The fact is he died. Once person dies (at least in my book) whatever enmity was there it is the time to bury the hatchet. He had his negative as well as positive sides according to many comments here. So just let him rest in peace. History will judge him anyway. It's a time for
    eulogy.

The only people I feel sory for are the ones like my mom and sister who are still in WTBS clutches and are going to have their butt kicked probably more than ever before now that last straw of moderation and balance has sunk.

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Bump so I can find and read this thread later.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I heard Sydlik numerous times in person and a several times on a social level and I have to tell all (like it or not) that he was one of the most humble ones of the group.

I'm not getting into the politics of the GB here but he was one that I always thought to be proud of as having represented the organization.

IMHO, it would be great to have 10 or so more like him at the top.

Rub a Dub

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

DAN SYALIC WAS A PIECE OF SHIT. JUST LIKE ANYOTHER MEMBER OF THE GB. TRERE IS NO GETTING AROUND SOME OF HIS SWEET TALKING. HE WAS A LITTLE HITLER. NO IF'S AND'S OR BUTTS. A PIECE OF SHIT WILL NEVER SHINE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU POLISH IT. THESE ARE FACTS' ACCEPT IT OR NOT.. SHIT IS SHIT. NO MATTER HOW YOU DRESS IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit