Dan Sydlik dies, the last of the moderating forces.

by SadElder 126 Replies latest jw friends

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Most of the time at Bethel (4 years from 1976-1980) I didn't know what to think of Dan Sydlik.

At first, I agreed with those who called him Pope Sydlik, and that was before the world actually got a Polish Pope who, in some ways, reminded me of Dan Sydlik. What remained of his Polish accent, combined with a powerful voice yet intentionally un-polished grammar, gave him a down-to-earth, sincere quality. I liked him for that, but always felt that one of his more clever qualities was an ability to mask an excessive haughtiness under a cloak of mock humility. But that cloak was liable to become transparent when he was angry, some discovered.

In the Bethel setting I thought his manner worked well for the many new recruits, especially. He could easily descend to the level of sergeant when talking to the young men as privates (or, on at least one occasion I witnessed, "about" their privates). Jaracz would never condescend below a rank of general. Like opposite Poles, I thought.

For me personally, he did give me the benefit of the doubt. In fact, I doubt he had any doubt that I had grave doubts. It was known to him that I regularly attended Bible studies in the room of a member of the Writing Department. Some of my best friends had just been disfellowshipped in a few cases and exiled from Bethel in other cases, with other cases pending. By that time my intent to leave Bethel was already known and I knew that what was left of my future at Bethel would be a matter of exactly how pointedly they worded the current set of apostate-hunting questions. The wording of their questions would decide if I left with an honorable or dishonorable discharge. (No connection to Sydlik's infamous speeches to the "newbie" recruits about a more private form of "dishonorable discharge.")

I must have talked too openly and with too many people about my beliefs about 1914, 607, 144,000, great crowd, personal vs organizational responsibility, faith vs works, Bible discussion vs Watchtower discussion, etc., etc., etc. He wanted to speak with me about it and called me into his office. When he brought up a few of those issues I shrugged them off by saying: "Oh those issues are just things I like to talk about because they make for some great Bible discussions. I've already seen that I have to be very careful about those subjects so that nobody misunderstands my position. I love Jehovah and I love his Organization. What I really hoped we could talk about is what you recommend for someone like me. You know I'm getting married. I'll be looking for a job. I really would like to know what you think I should do." (Of course, I knew I was being very misleading, but it was as honest as I thought I could be at the time. This version of double-speak became the practice of many inside "apostates." It was all the more necessary as we saw ourselves getting assigned every talk on Organization or every Watchtower study on 1914, which had become uncomfortably frequent for everyone, not just "apostates.")

Dan seemed relieved and he absolutely loved the opportunity to pontificate, I mean, to offer his opinions about marriage and secular work. I actually enjoyed this conversation very much, and he seemed very sincere about wanting to help. He didn't try to be overly spiritual. I never had any reason to think that he was anything but down-to-earth, open and honest. So I have never had any reason to hold any grudges or ill-will about his place in the Watchtower hierarchy. Yes, I think he should have known better after 80-some years of life experience. But I didn't know any better either for a couple decades and might still be trapped within if it weren't for some fortunate discussions with others. I've learned more about Dan Sydlik from Ray Franz, especially from his books. But Ray Franz, who I admire, was also trapped within that system for most of his life. Lyman Swingle also saw wrongs, but thought he could do more good from within than from outside. Some good friends in the Writing Department also thought it was better to try to stay to do more good from within.

But while in, it is so difficult to see the bigger picture. The organization concept was still too deeply embedded in us even when we fooled ourselves into believing we had surmounted the issue. At least in my case, while inside, I thought I could see, but I was still blind. I don't think there is such a big difference among those at any level or position within that organization.

Sincerely,
    Gamaliel

</div>

• serendipity
    serendipity

Thanks for your insight, Gamaliel.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i'm sure dan knew more about the inside workings . of the wt, than any of us on jwd or ray franz even told in his books. i have ZERO RESPECT FOR THIS MAN. I DON;T CARE HOW MUCH OF A NICE MAN HE SEEMED ON THE OUTSIDE. HE KNEW ENOUGH LIES , TO NOT BE INVOLVED IN PROMOGATING THE WT LIE THAT THE FDS BE CHOOSEN IN 1919. HE WAS NO DOPE BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE GB. HE WAS NOTHING MORE THAN A CON MAN. I'M SORRY TO SEE SO MANY X JW'S HERE TODAY . BROWN NOSE-ING THIS SCUMBAG. AS A GOOD GUY. THE RECORD OF HIS ENVOLVEMENT , IN THE POLICIES OF THE WT. SPEAKS FOR IT SELF. DAN WAS LOWER THAN POND SCUM. I WOULD SPIT ON HIS GRAVE. AND WALK AWAY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOHN

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

A royal shit-fest we got here now. Fun.

• mjs mouse, ben
    mjs mouse, ben

Well I'm with what seems like the minority here, BOO FRICKEN WHO! and I mean exactly that. WHO the !@#* was Sydlyk, most persons I ever talked to who either knew him or met him couldn't even tell you whether they liked him or not. Your either with em or against em. No time in my life for being a JW apologist!

• besty
    besty

anybody ever hear what happened to Sydlik's 'young' wife Marina?

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

She was married to Dan for 35 years and is now 61.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

That means she was 24 when she mated the then 53 year old Danny boy? Nice catch!

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Deceased (years active)

Individuals who were members of the Governing Body until their death were:

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Actually, he was 51 and she was 23 when they married (in 1970).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit