worst Bookstudy book

by darth frosty 83 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

Gosh I feel like an old bastard! I remember "Babylon the Great has Fallen"! fer gods sake. And, "Your word is a lamp to my foot", a yellow book. The first was the worst...written by Fred Franz when he was on one of his early history 1918 kicks. It was boring as hell. The argument followed that Babylon must have had a spiritual fall and not a literal one since that thought didn't coincide with the idea that when she really fell, armageddon would be here which was later taught.

Gumby

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I remember this event quite well. My mom gave it to me when I was 5 years old. She was sharing with me the story of Jesus' resurrection and I pointed to the picture of the rolled away circular stone and asked, "Is that God?"

Oh you poor girl Leo! My boys used to draw grusome pictures or rather embellish the pictures in the books, they cracked me up! I know most Moms woulda whipped the heck outa them little buggers but I got a real kick outa their attempt to sit still at the meetings and keep busy. They are quite artist, how could I stop the little artist in them?

My oldest son used to draw comics that moved on the corners of his books as you thumbed the pages the comic characters would become animated. I thought that was so funny!

Bad Mommy!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    My oldest son used to draw comics that moved on the corners of his books as you thumbed the pages the comic characters would become animated.

ROTL!! I did that too! That's how I used to entertain myself during the tedium of the district conventions. That, and writing in Hebrew characters and having conversations with friends about crushes by passing notes to each other during the talks...

gumby.....Yeah I remember that, and I remember studying the yellow book at the book study...I think it's the God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached book. When we first started going to book studies, the book we used was the Holy Spirit book. I remember my first book study....it was at the home of a brother who left soon afterward and who was a firefighter....I remember looking through the Bible for the first time and thinking "Philippians" was about the "Philippines". Then after that I remember we studied the Life book when the book study moved to an elder's house. That book stands out in my mind for its role in making me question the JW resurrection doctrine. I remember that particular meeting well; we read the following two paragraphs:

*** lp chap. 15 p. 175 par. 16 The End of Sickness and Death ***

As to the resurrected ones, God will accurately "re-create" each individual with his entire life pattern, personality and memory just as it was. The one resurrected will be able to identify himself as the same person. Also, his former associates will know him by his appearance and characteristics. He can then resume life after the interruption caused by his death, possessing the same motivations, leanings and traits that he displayed beforehand. However, his past sins and mistakes will not be brought up as charges against him. Why not? Because God’s purpose in bringing him back to earth is to provide opportunity for him to take advantage of Christ’s sacrifice and be freed of sin. Yet, what the individual did in the past, if bad, would have its effect on his personality, and the resulting bad traits would have to be overcome. The more unrighteous his past course was, the more he will have to change. Some may not take advantage of the opportunity to change.—Isaiah 26:10.

To the person who is resurrected, the time period that he was dead would be, to him, only an instant, since death is a nonexistence. It is likened in the Bible to a deep sleep. (John 11:11-14; 1 Thessalonians 4:13, 14; Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10) Thousands of years, or a day, would seem like only a moment of time. To the one resurrected, the experience would be like walking through a doorway out of the present wicked system of things into the righteous, orderly new system of things.

And the book earlier explained the concept of resurrection with the following picture:

And none of this made any sense to me! So the little eight-year-old that I was at the time raised my hand and asked them how a "re-created" person is actually the same person that died if death is nonexistence, and since if a tape-recording is actually a copy and not the same thing as the source of the recording, would not a resurrected person be a copy too? I don't remember the exact words I used, but that was the gist of it. I didn't get an answer that satisfied me; they assured me I would understand when I grow up.

GentlyFeral.....Oh, you know, that was a good book, I was just too young to appreciate its ethical message...

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    ROTL!! I did that too! That's how I used to entertain myself during the tedium of the district conventions. That, and writing in Hebrew characters and having conversations with friends about crushes by passing notes to each other during the talks...

Whew! I thought I was going to get blamblasted for that one! Hebrew characters? You mean you wrote to Noah, Abraham and Issaic? Did they answer you? I would worry if they did. Just kidding!

Waiting.....

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i was a kid the next to the last time they studied the babylon the great book..i didnt understand any of it but it was neat to watch everyone talking and trying to figure it out during the meeting and not raising hands, just discussing it.

as an adult..i dunno.. i just read the question, underlined the book and would comment at least once. never really " studied" any of them. although if they "studied" the insight books now , i think i'd show up every meeting!

• gumby
    gumby
    they assured me I would understand when I grow up.

I guess your conductor at that time hadn't grown up either since he didn't seem to understand...lol

With witnesses, jehovah can do anything...even if it doesn't make sense.

Gumby

• Pole
    Pole

Definitely Isaiah

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I liked the PE book because it was a no brainer and it was big enough to hide other things in. Like the WT for Sunday's meeting, that way I could study my mag for Sunday while being at the book study. The guys I grew up with taught me that one. They had to have their mags studied for the Sunday mtg before they could do social things, so they multi-tasked. Very smart lads if you ask me. We were even able to answer at BS beause the book was .... hate to say it again ... a no brainer. Loved it!

• blondie
    blondie

BABYLON THE GREAT HAS FALLEN! GOD'S KINGDOM RULES!

(It was bad the first time through)

Remember this was the days when a certain number of paragraphs were NOT assigned for every book study to cover. It was up to the discretion of the conductor how fast/slow he went. Some were too slow and by the time the book was to be finished, we would have to cover 50 paragraphs a night.

This is a good example of Fred Franz convoluted type of writing. Whole paragraphs are quoted scriptures (try to find that very much in today's publications).

The questions for the paragraphs were in a separate booklet (didn't they plan on studying this???)

I have my old copy in front of me with some markings where we were studying it on April 4, 1965, 41 years ago. (and marks from 1969)

I used to draw in the margins and there is a witch with pointed hat!!!!!! haha

This used to be on the first WT-CD but no longer...I guess there is too much old light in it.

Blondie

• onesong
    onesong

I hated conducting with the Family book...comments often got WAY to personal and I don't even have to say anything about how lame the info is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit