Ghosts, Demons, or Imagination?

by ButtLight 180 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

My mom told me today that her dimmer for the lights in her bathroom makes the lights go to the maximum intensity and back down to the minimum intensity all alone when she takes a bath. It does that continuously from Maximum to Minimum, but only when she takes a bath. At first this scared her, but then she noticed that this just happened when it reached 100% humidity in the bathroom and the mirrors were getting wet because of the high humidity.

Her dimmer is one that reacts to your touch. You just put your finger on the metalic plate, and it goes either up or down, or turns off if you tap it.

Sometimes, certain things can be explained. At first you might think its out of the ordinary, and then you reason it out.

But sometimes, like in your case Buttlight, it may not be easy to explain....

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

My 2-cents:

1 - Lucid Dreams - http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html#LD

2 - I *highly* recommend reading this book "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot...it's a sub-theory of quantum physics that can help explain paranormal phenomena.

You can scan the table of contents, exerpts etc here :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0060922583/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-3847899-2145743#reader-link

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    Now I know he was awake, cause he walked upstairs, so he couldnt have been dreaming.

this is a common misunderstanding about the world we know.

we are always taking in data and making our own experienced world from it.... we are always dreaming

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Now I know he was awake, cause he walked upstairs, so he couldnt have been dreaming.

this is a common misunderstanding about the world we know.

we are always taking in data and making our own experienced world from it.... we are always dreaming

This reminds me of a book I read The 4 Agreements. Any connection? meagan

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BlackSwanofMemphis:

How do you know that for sure fd? I mean how do you know for sure that it is a fantasy? What if it is not a fantasy? What if is something else?

I don't know for sure that this event has a mundane, naturalistic explanation. I assume it does because every event that has ever been explained does. A normal, boring explanation is sufficient to completely explain the events that were described. There may be malevolent spirits at work but if so, they are imitating exactly a phenomenon that requires no supernatural explanation.

What if it Did happen to you? How would that change your view of things?

Something like this did happen to me once when I was about 4 years old. I saw a large crocodile (or alligator, I'm never sure), on the wall of my bedroom. Even at that age, I quickly realised it was nothing more than coats and shadows. Since then, I've occasionally been startled by dreams or hallucinations but this has only ever been momentary. I concede that my attitude might be different if I was brought up by someone who believes the battery running out in a toy or a malfunctioning air-conditioner are evidence of diabolical interference.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Fd

Yeah, I get really terrifying nightmares that seem so real.

Like last night I dreamt I was at an assembly.

I think what I meant to ask was:

If something happens that you Can't explain by mundane explanations, how would that change the way you think? Or would it?

Y'know either way I'm not saying I think there is a right and wrong answer. I'm really just wondering.

meagan

• JH
    JH

FunkyDerek, are you saying that what the child described and saw is impossible?

And how would you prove it?

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    I concede that my attitude might be different if I was brought up by someone who believes the battery running out in a toy or a malfunctioning air-conditioner are evidence of diabolical interference.

You know what, you have a right to your opinion, and the right to express it. If you have an opinion about my experiences, and you dont agree with me, thats fine! What I dont appreciate, is every comment is refering to ME in a negative way! Those opinions you can keep to yourself, cause you dont know me!

Even moreso for a child, especially one whose parents indulge and encourage the fantasy. When a child has a nightmare, what he needs to hear is that it wasn't real and is just a normal part of life, not that evil spirits live in his house.
    I concede that my attitude might be different if I was brought up by someone who believes the battery running out in a toy or a malfunctioning air-conditioner are evidence of diabolical interference.

And the last time I checked, when a battery runs out, it no longer makes the toy function!!!!!!!!!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BlackSwan:

If something happens that you Can't explain by mundane explanations, how would that change the way you think? Or would it?

No, sometimes events have exciting and interesting explanations. But postulating creatures of a type not known to exist without any evidence is not an explanation. It's a superstition, and there is no place for such primitive nonsense in the modern world.

JH:

FunkyDerek, are you saying that what the child described and saw is impossible?

No, I think it's possible - and even common - to dream or hallucinate.

And how would you prove it?
    If you mean how would I prove it was a dream or hallucination, as opposed to a visible manifestation of a malevolent entity that is not subject to the known laws of physics, then I don't think the burden of proof is on me.
  • JH
    JH
    a visible manifestation of a malevolent entity that is not subject to the known laws of physics, then I don't think the burden of proof is on me.

Well, if it's not subject to the law of physics, then maybe even a camera might not record what has happened, so nothing can prove that it happened, and nothing can prove it didn't happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit