Ghosts, Demons, or Imagination?

by ButtLight 180 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

jstalin:

There's a reason these sorts of experiences happen when people are 1/2 asleep or just waking up (think "alien abductions.") Our brains have a hard time sometimes distinguishing between what's real and what's a dream when we're in that in-between state.

Even moreso for a child, especially one whose parents indulge and encourage the fantasy. When a child has a nightmare, what he needs to hear is that it wasn't real and is just a normal part of life, not that evil spirits live in his house.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

What we have here is a 12-year-old boy who watches heaps of scary movies, and whose parent(s) believe that ghosts have been interacting with them for some time. It isn't really surprising then that the boy might think that a vivid dream was actually a real event.

What another poster said about looking at the computer screen and seeing an afterimage on their retina from the bright light is indeed quite plausible.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if these events run in the family, it might be time to see a neurologist, just to rule out any potential problems. It would be a great shame indeed to allow pride and superstition to get in the way of a medical problem.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Don't take this the wrong way, but if these events run in the family, it might be time to see a neurologist, just to rule out any potential problems. It would be a great shame indeed to allow pride and superstition to get in the way of a medical problem.

Yeah, I think that is not a bad idea by any means. But what if everything could be ruled out? Including nightmares and vision problems? What IF all logical reasons could be ruled out and furthermore what if a video cam or something of the like showed things going in the room that could not be explained by natural occurrences? Just curious.

I am not saying it is a ghost (spirit, demon etc) and I’m not saying it isn’t, I’m just curious.

Even moreso for a child, especially one whose parents indulge and encourage the fantasy. When a child has a nightmare, what he needs to hear is that it wasn't real and is just a normal part of life, not that evil spirits live in his house.

How do you know that for sure fd? I mean how do you know for sure that it is a fantasy? What if it is not a fantasy? What if is something else? What if it Did happen to you? How would that change your view of things?

boo

meagan

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Yeah, I think that is not a bad idea by any means. But what if everything could be ruled out? Including nightmares and vision problems? What IF all logical reasons could be ruled out and furthermore what if a video cam or something of the like showed things going in the room that could not be explained by natural occurrences? Just curious.

Awful lot of "what ifs" there. I'm not saying that there aren't things we don't know about the universe, simply that there generally tend to be more mundane explanations for these kind of events.

• jstalin
    jstalin

How do you know that for sure fd? I mean how do you know for sure that it is a fantasy? What if it is not a fantasy? What if is something else? What if it Did happen to you? How would that change your view of things?

If it happened to me I would critically analyze what happened. I would think about the possible explanations - would it be more likely that I was still in a partial dream state, or that there are some sort of entities which enjoy just standing there in my bedroom and projecting images on my computer monitor. I would stand up and investigate and see if I could touch the Gorton's Fisherman standing in my closet. I would remind myself that it is very unlikely that what I'm seeing is rational.

Then I would roll over and go back to sleep.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Well, I figured there would be some who think my entire family may need medical help lol. And some who have been through it, and get it. Just to comment on a few things.

Could it be that he was staring at the computer monitor, and it acted like a flashlight shining in his eyes, and when he looked away in the dark room next to his, that the image he saw was just the reaction of the blinding monitor.

I would agree with that one normally, cause I have done that myself. But not in this case. I had a discussion with him about it yesterday. The screen was all black, except for a small scull with an " x ", or two bones crossed.

There's a reason these sorts of experiences happen when people are 1/2 asleep or just waking up (think "alien abductions.") Our brains have a hard time sometimes distinguishing between what's real and what's a dream when we're in that in-between state.
    This I also agree with. But, he was awake enough to walk up the steps. He was awake enough to remember that he has to shut his fish tank light off. He hadnt gotten in bed yet, went to shut the tank light off, and saw this "thing". He was awake enough to scream my name and turn his light on.
    I dont indulge and encourage the fantasy. As a matter of fact, I tried to come up with simple solutions (to him). I told him maybe he was dreaming. He got mad and said "mom, i was wide awake!" I said maybe it was a shadow of some kind. He said "a shadow of a guy with a hat and a button down coat?" So I said, the closet door was open, maybe it was the clothes hanging in the closet you saw! His answer, "well, if it is that, then it will look the same tonight right? " I didnt mention anything about it, exept right after school, cause i didnt want him dwelling on it. I went up there myself lastnight, looked toward the closet, and saw nothing. I know this is a long post, but just to add a few more things. This is not the first time strange and unexplained things have happened. A few months ago, my 16 year old was laying on his bed, and his friend was sitting on the bottom of the bed. All of a sudden he was flung off the bed, and landed on the floor, the opposite direction he was laying. Needless to say, he wouldnt sleep out there for quite some time. Right before that happened, he came out of his room and told me his stereo was making noise, so he unplugged it, and it kept on doing it. In the other house I lived at, there were always weird things going on. How do you explain a battery operated wrestling ring talking by it self? You have to push hard in the middle of the ring to make it say things. I was home alone, and here "ouuuuuh". I looked at the toy, and ignored it. Then the damn thing says "ouch". Then I flew up the steps as fast as I could. (by the way, those are the words the toy says when you play with it lol) Sure, some things can have a logical explanation, but not all things.
  • plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    What we have here is a 12-year-old boy who watches heaps of scary movies, and whose parent(s) believe that ghosts have been interacting with them for some time. It isn't really surprising then that the boy might think that a vivid dream was actually a real event.

When I was that age I truly believed I saw demons. I understand now, or at least I think I do, it was do to the influence around me as a JW child. I STILL saw something. That hasn't changed. BUT, did I see demons? I don't think so.

I think you are doing the right thing by trying to keep an open mind. It doesn't hurt to research all possibilities including professional help. Some of the greatest minds still need professional help sometimes. That’s what its there for.

plum

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Awful lot of "what ifs" there. I'm not saying that there aren't things we don't know about the universe, simply that there generally tend to be more mundane explanations for these kind of events.

Yeah, I figured I was pushing the what ifs, sorry about that. But you got my drift. I do agree with people that there are more times than not (I’m guessing) where things can be explained. That was partly why I thought of the cam idea.

If it happened to me I would critically analyze what happened. I would think about the possible explanations - would it be more likely that I was still in a partial dream state, or that there are some sort of entities which enjoy just standing there in my bedroom and projecting images on my computer monitor. I would stand up and investigate and see if I could touch the Gorton's Fisherman standing in my closet. I would remind myself that it is very unlikely that what I'm seeing is rational.

Then I would roll over and go back to sleep.

Maybe not if you were 12 years old. OR if the occurrence was strikingly real and terrifying.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I could go on and on, and someone always comes up with what they think is a logical explanation.

My airconditioner use to go down as low as it could go when no one was home. Logical explanation? Its one of those dial thermostasts, someone must have bumped it when walking by. Ok, even though it happened about 10 times, I accepted that and changed it to a digital one, which was set on a timer to go up and down at certain times of the day and night. I would come home and it would be really cold, but it was still set at the right temp. Then I was told maybe it was a faulty thermostat! So I had an electrician come in and put a new one in, nothing changed. I gave up on that one!!!!!!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Buttlight,

It really sounds like you have been looking at this very practically. You've tried finding obvious answers.

Despite what other people say ultimately you are the ones who are having the experiences. And yes there will always be people telling you what they think it is or is not.

If you feel the need to 'prove' it to other people (not assuming you do just a thought) then there are some people, many who would be very staunch in not believing you while others might not be.

As long you don't feel this way, (again not assuming either way just another thought) then y'know I say go for the paranormal investigator route and look into these other areas of explanation that you haven't tried. Don't worry about what others think.

When stuff starts floating around their house for no rational explanation maybe then they'll believe. Til then ....

I really hope you guys stay safe. Regardless of what others think I know of one guy who is very rational, very reasonable somewhat skeptical and not by any means a liar who had a very scary experience. He stands by his story is a staunch Catholic.

He had the experience of being in a house where there was some mega violent energy going round in that place. Not once but twice I believe. It wasn't his house, but he knows what happened. He left and never went back

Be careful.

meagan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit