LET'S MAKE A LITTLE WAGER

by You Know 536 Replies latest jw friends

• You Know
    You Know

Perhaps you recall the instance in the Bible where Samson made a wager with the Philistines that they couldn’t guess his riddle. As it turned out they wheedled the answer out of him by his fiancée, but the point is that they had a wager. Since the underlying assumption of the apostasy is that we are not living in the last days of this system of things, and that this world is not facing anything remotely like the biblical apocalypse, at least not any time soon, in the spirit of such antagonism, I would like to propose a similar wager.

With the month of October looming larger, I find myself irresistibly succumbing to once again “behaving as a prophet,” as the Hebrews would say. My proposed wager is this: I will wager 100 bucks, that before the end of the month of October that the present financial system will be in a full-blown panic crisis; and, if not in a crash-down mode, then certainly in a state of war. If I am wrong I will pay $100 to the upkeep of the JW Discussion forum. If I am right, then the forum will donate $100 to the Watchtower Society along with a letter that I shall compose and sign with my real name. Deal? I would think that sister Cleo/Shelby would be especially anxious to take up the wager after her spirit-inspired jaunt to Las Vegas. It’ll be great fun, just like at Samson’s festive wedding when he first proposed the wager to his groomsmen.

The odds are definitely with you; after all, everything’s fine, right? What are the chances that I could get it right. JW’s are always wrong, right? The media are only talking about the remote possibility of a mild recession and a slightly more prolonged downturn than previously forecasted by the experts. So you definitely have popular opinion in your favor too. Of course, if I wanted to play it safe I would move the collapse date back to the end of the year, but yeah, I want to make this interesting for everybody. It is just something about October I guess. Besides, if the house loses, you won’t really lose a-hundred bucks anyway, because if things collapse money may well become non-negotiable or hyperinflation could render $100 equivalent to about 2 cents in a matter of days. But it is the thought that counts. Besides, do you remember how Samson paid off his lost wager? LOL!

Some of you may wonder what the connection is between a dollar meltdown and the teachings of Jehovah’s Witnesses, since the Watchtower does not mention such things. Some will point out that we have had the Great Depression in the 1930’s and that did not lead to the end of the system. The way I see it though, that was then, and this is now. Back then there was no such thing as a global system of things. The expression that ‘money makes the world go around’ is not far from the truth. We could go so far as to say that the dollar makes the world turn, since it has gradually become the de-facto world currency. So, the way I see it, if Jehovah is going to settle the seemingly endless dispute about his godship and majesty, he has to get the world’s attention first. At some point the almighty dollar will have to bow before the Almighty Jehovah as a prelude to his taking center stage in world affairs. Of course that’s merely human reasoning. There are some prophecies that I am certain will eventually be understood as foretelling this very thing, but these will for the present remain as my secret kingdom treasure. But, that’s why I see a global financial collapse as a necessary precursor to the commencement of the tribulation and the unveiling of Jehovah’s judgments from heaven.

By the way, “the Godzilla’s,” which are what the giant Japanese banks are nicknamed, which are some of the largest banks in the world, have had a law passed saying they don’t have to open up their books to the public for another year. The reason they are trying to buy a little time by keeping their numbers secret is because they reportedly have such staggering derivatives losses that if they became known would cause investors to faint. Also, Vladamir Putin a few days ago called more emphatically on all Russians to quickly get rid of their dollars and buy the quarter-ounce gold chervonet that the Russian treasury pulled out of the vaults a month ago. So, even if it doesn’t blow in the next couple of months, it is sure going to get interesting.

Also, I will be taking a little break during the interim, unless of course things get extremely interesting in the near term. But, if the board accepts the terms of my wager, then I will be back in November and we will settle up accounts, one way or the other. / You Know

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

How about putting some measurable parameters to your prediction. After all, it is easy to say "the financial world is in collapse" (as you yourself have done so many times before) but what EXACTLY do you mean by "crash-down mode" or "full-blown panic"? If were to say (for example) that the Dow will be down below 4,000 by the end of October, or that the Dollar will be worth less than $.10 agaist the Euro, those are concrete benchmarks. Are you willing to put your prediction into some terms that can be objectively measured?

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

A hundred dollars? I make that much in an hour's work.

Make it five thousand, and let's set some real parameters as Chuck suggests.

Oh, and I want 15% for myself. I could use a new set of metal woods.

• borgfree
    borgfree

You Know,
    I made a similar statement in the early 1970s. I told a "worldly" business person, that I had regular contact with, that if armageddon was not here by the fall of 1975, that this world would be too dangerious to live in. I told him that if I was wrong that I would give him my sincere apologies. Guess what happened.
    Borgfree

"You can fool some of the people all of the time" especially if you are a member of the WT GB
  • bajarama
    bajarama

You know, you said this in the 'Could you clarify this for me thread'

It is not uncommon for people to take a verse here and there and construct an entire doctrine out of it.

ozziepost replied,

So how does this sit with the WTS 'explanation' of Luke chapter 12 verse 42 "Who is the faithful & discreet slave?".

Hoist by your own petard, You Know.

Ouch You Know, that's gonna leave a mark! Let me know if you need some ice for that.

It must really suck when you shoot yourself in the head with your own words.

ozziepost, you have my vote for thread MVP.

baja

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Is there something relevant about the health of the economy as it relates to Jehovah's Witnesses? What did I miss here?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I find myself irresistibly succumbing to once again “behaving as a prophet,” as the Hebrews would say.

Question is: what KIND of prophet? A true one? Or a false one?

My proposed wager is this: I will wager 100 bucks
    Ah, yes, a false one.

If I am wrong I will pay $100 to the upkeep of the JW Discussion forum.
    Does JW.com NEED your money? Truly?

If I am right, then the forum will donate $100 to the Watchtower Society along with a letter that I shall compose and sign with my real name.
    Does the WTBTS need the forum's money? Hmmm...

I would think that sister Cleo/Shelby would be especially anxious to take up the wager after her spirit-inspired jaunt to Las Vegas.
    Actually, you are in error. Gambling has no 'intrigue' for me, here... or in Las Vegas. Besides, whatever is my Father's will... it will be done... whether you wager or not.

It’ll be great fun, just like at Samson’s festive wedding when he first proposed the wager to his groomsmen...
    Ah, but see, the thing IS... you ain't Samson. Not even CLOSE.

Keep your money, You Know. So that never will it be said it was you that made me 'rich'... or me that made you such.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• Seeker
    Seeker

The last time you made a wager, after you lost, you backed out, claiming you were "only kidding." Why should we believe you'd keep your end of the bargain this time?

Serious question, not dogging you.

• borgfree
    borgfree

PS,You Know,
    Why don't you make your wager a little more costly to you? How about if you are wrong, you will declare the Watchtower Society to be a very dangerous cult and that you will leave it forever?
    Borgfree

"You can fool some of the people all of the time" especially if you are a member of the WT GB
  • Seeker
    Seeker

borgfree,

That was the wager You Know made the last time. He said he would leave JWs by no later than 2001 if the end hadn't come. When the deadline arrived, he backed out, claiming he was only kidding. I suspect he will find a way to wriggle out of this wager when November 1st arrives and he is proven wrong for the 5th October in a row.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit