Explain your avatar and username

by greendawn 174 Replies latest members private

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

A central lesson of science is that to understand complex issues (or even simple ones), we must try to free our minds of dogma and to guarantee the freedom to publish, to contradict, and to experiment. Arguments from authority are unacceptable.

- Carl Sagan

• oldflame
    oldflame

My avatar is me, the person next to me that you cannot see except the hand is my oldest son. My user name comes from the fact that I used to be a member at JWD under another name. So Oldflame means that I was here before and quite some time ago. I have been here at JWD since 2001.

• luna2
    luna2

The luna is short for a s/n that I've used for 8 years (since I first got online and was told that I should have an s/n). I was in the grip of an obssession at the time that made me feel like I was nuts...hence "luna". The "2" was because, apparently, there was already a luna registered here. Thrilling, no?

The avatar: luna = moon Back when I first got online I was also told that it could be dangerous to post your own picture...plus I didn't feel like looking at a picture of myself all the time. I like it because I can change the silhouette when I feel like it but retain the same look.

• lost_sheep
    lost_sheep

I guess my alias is pretty self-explanatory.... i'm at a point in my life where i feel very lost. i'm reexamining everything i've been taught to believe so hopefully one day i'll find myself. i'm still a believer in Jesus & God, hence the sheep. it was just the first name that came to mind when i went to register. since then i've thought of at least 10 really awesome usernames, but c'est la vie. i have become one with the sheep.

my avatars will probably change all along. i like to mix them up. :-) the one before "hello cthulhu" was a skull with the phrase "memento mori" which is a Latin phrase that translates to something along the lines of "remember that you are mortal." the memento mori theme was present in a lot of early art & prose. it's also the name of a beautifully somber painting by Philippe de Champaigne. ahh well, enough rambling on that...

my current one is from the webcomic of the same name. i chose it because it combines 2 things i love, HP Lovecraft's characters & cute, goofy cartoons.

and there you have it!

lost_sheep

• lilybird
    lilybird

I chose my username because lily of the valley are my favorite flower and "bird" because my husband and I love to bird watch and in my next life(if I have one) I would like to come back as a bird ... My avatar is a pic of my daughter and our yellow lab named Wilson..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit