May I throw a fit?

by skyman 78 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

I am guilty of forgeting that as long as people are happy and doing no harm to their fellowman, then their opinions are just as valid as mine. Thanks for the reminder.

peace,

Moshe

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Skyman - I hear you man.

I have had several of my posts needlessly attacked. If someone does not agree there are ways to discuss it civily. Others come off as arrogant and aggressive in the way they answer. I refer to no one in particular. I am sure we have all done so at times. I have been guilty of troll-beating myself at times, and I generally regret it after the fact.

There are all levels of persons here. ALL deserve respect and kindness, even if we disagree with the point of view they express. Some know how to do so better than others, or course. Perhaps we could learn from those who take the moral high ground in the way they answer and do not tear peoples opinions to shredds needlessly.

A word spoken in kindness often goes much further than a logical and water-tight argument that is filled with arrogance and toxicity.

Jeff

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

I'm with Kid-A.

Many times a remark on a certain thread reflects an opinion carried over from another thread. I've noticed a couple of posters who have a history of engaging in some nasty undertones, and spread it across 5 threads, (both gay and muslim topics) and then claim they are only bringing up an alternative point. I will call this behavior out. A PATTERN of hate and insensitive remarks deserve to be treated as such, and one can't complain when remarks are returned in a similar fashion.

Also, if one is too thin skinned to take any critique or sarcatic remarks then I suggest you post at a sychophant board, not a DISCUSSION board. I find it highly amusing when people belly ache, and kvetch about how the board is, or various posters styles. Don't like them? Don't read them. I don't know how many threads I've seen where people have posted to a thread with content similar to "I don't know why there are so many fluff threads like these, they bother me to no end......blah, blah, blah". Why do people feel compelled to click on an uninteresting topic, read it, then post to it, and keep following it? Mustn't be that dull then?

Excuse me but this is NOT the Kingdumb Hall anymore. If you post an insipid remark. Prepare to be called on it. If you merely want someone to give you a cyber hug, self affirmation, or listen to yourself pontificate then find a mirror and blather away.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I would like to see everyone USE PARAGRAPHS...especially the long posts!!! When my eyes start crossing, I usually stop reading!

Swalker

• kid-A
    kid-A

Excuse me but this is NOT the Kingdumb Hall anymore. If you post an insipid remark. Prepare to be called on it.

AMEN!!! This is exactly what is so refreshing about this board, the conversations do get heated, they do get intense because they are vital and relevant! We are enjoying the freedom of expression here that we have been denied for so many years in the borg. In reality, when things do get a little nasty, its almost always directed at someone who is violating posting guidelines anyway. This forum is meant to open the mind, regardless of what side of the debate you are on.

• Clam
    Clam

Ok thanks for the Franz update Kid-A. I didn't realise he'd been chucked off.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

I agree that at times threads degenerate into name-calling and insults. It would be nice if everyone had a healthy respect for others' opinions. The key to remember is that everyone has a different sense of right and wrong, and of what is reasonable and unreasonable. What one person views as absurd, or several people view as absurd, might be viewed by several other people as completely reasonable. But who is too judge? Thus respect, while disagreeing, should be in order.

That having been said, no one is under obligation to be polite. Free speech involves the right to insult and degrade however impalpable it may be. One only need to look at the controversy over the Danish cartoons. An argument could be made that if knowing that publishing the cartoons would offend many people, they should not have been published, out of courtesy and respect. However, the truth is that no one should become violent over being insulted. Freedom of speech involves the right to blaspheme, as Robert Fulford wrote recently in The National Post. And on this board, free speech involves the right to insult, regardless of how it irks us.

Toronto_guy

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'm jealous of Leolaia, too.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I will say that I've enjoyed quite a few posts by Skyman as well, though. I love the range of perspectives that we have around here

• John Doe
    John Doe

You all are a bunch of poopie heads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit