So, why didn't Jesus write anything down?

by poppers 73 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poppers
    poppers

Terry's thread on who is right - Jesus or Paul, got me to wondering; why didn't Jesus write anything down? Surely he would know that the things he said would be written down at some point, and that this would be the beginning of misunderstanding what he was saying. Secondhand accounts of spoken words have a way of changing dramatically from the original words. Why couldn't he have written something himself? He wasn't illiterate was he? If he was, couldn't he have someone record his words as they were spoken, and dictate clarifying explanations?

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think he relied more on the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, to guide the disciples in all the truth, writings were of a secondary nature and not the primary source they should rely on.

• kid-A
    kid-A

He didnt have a BlackBerry.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Maybe notebooks and pencils were hard to come by?

• poppers
    poppers

"I think he relied more on the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, to guide the disciples in all the truth,"
    Seems to me that this plan hasn't worked out too well.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

He couldn't employ Judas' nephew, Jared, to pull the "scroll cart" because Jared demanded 2 silver shekels a month. Jesus was a freeloading tightass, everyone knows that.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

The only logical conclusion is that what has become of Christianity is exactly what Jesus wanted to happen. If not he could have as you point out taken measures to ensure accurracy.

Therefore accurracy really doesn't matter. Stop trying to figure everything out and you will be wiser than most.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Seems to me that this plan hasn't worked out too well.

Yes, it would seem that something as critically important as the "only way to salvation" given to us by god himself, would have traveled via a vehicle less prone to infection and deterioration than what we have ended up with.

Perhaps the significant lesson is not in the message itself, but rather in it's fallibility.

j

• poppers
    poppers

It's nice to see you here again, JT. As always, your contributions are clear and to the point. Thanks.
    poppers

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

I think we need to trust in God's divine plan. I think there is something to be said about an exercise of "faith".

I suppose we can ask, why doesn't Jesus just show up when we have a question and be like "hey guys! Here i am. I am real so I'll see ya when you croak! Any questions?"

I think there is a reason he veiled the eyes of Mary and some of the disciples right after his ressurection. A lot has to be said about someone who makes the effort to search for truth, to care enough and to exercise hope and faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit