Do you still believe?

by Chimene 154 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I’m very shocked at this. If you don’t believe, can you tell me what brought to that conclusion?

a lot of things.

the theory of evolution, even though technically is has nothing to do with belief or god or anything like that. but it still gave me a foundation for looking at the world. my paradigm, i suppose. just don't ever, ever call it a presupposition, or i will come down on your ass with a vengance, lols.

and then there is just observing the world from a neutral place, where it didn't matter if i was right or wrong, or what happened to me after i died. it's a scary place to look at the world from, but at the same time, extremely liberating.

and then of course there is philosophy, which as far as words go, do a better job than religion does, in my most subservant and humblest of opinions.... ;)

ts

• Chimene
    Chimene

Not to worry TS, I value everyone's opinion. That's why I asked. I really was facinated to know how going from such a strong belief, to not believing at all. But it is making more and more sense to me. Thanks for sharing!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I need a reason to believe.

• Chimene
    Chimene
    I need a reason to believe.

Ok, how about a little fluff, LOL.................

He giveth us beer, wine and liqour, LOL

If God created the vegetation for us, such as corn, rice, pototoes, and this is what you can do with them:

Ethanol is the alcohol of beer, wines, and liquors. It can be prepared by the fermentation of sugar (e.g., from molasses), which requires an enzyme catalyst that is present in yeast; or it can be prepared by the fermentation of starch (e.g., from corn, rice, rye, or potatoes), which requires, in addition to the yeast enzyme, an enzyme present in an extract of malt. The concentration of ethanol obtained by fermentation is limited to about 10% (20 proof) since at higher concentrations ethanol inhibits the catalytic effect of the yeast enzyme. (The proof concentration of an alcoholic beverage is numerically double the percentage concentration.) For nonbeverage uses ethanol is more commonly prepared by passing ethylene gas at high pressure into concentrated sulfuric or phosphoric acid to form the corresponding ester; the acid-ester mixture is diluted with water and heated, forming ethanol by hydrolysis, and the alcohol is then removed from the mixture by distillation, usually with steam. 4

God must be pretty cool! LOL

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

he he he,

well, yes, this is exactly the dilema surrounding creationists and biology. you see, we can explain technically where these plants and organisms come from without invoking a God into the picture. but a creationist invokes a God anyways, not because there is a technical requirement for a God to explain things (see God of the Gaps), but rather that their emotional well-being is wrapped up in a dependence on there being a God. and so, the technical explanation offered by biologists and other scientists is brushed aside.

ts

• kid-A
    kid-A

I really was facinated to know how going from such a strong belief, to not believing at all

Well to be honest, I was just believing what my parents told me to believe. Even as a small child, I never really bought into the god deal. Religiosity has a strong genetic component and you are either born with it, or you are'nt.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ditto TS

My Mum spends hours lovingly preparing fantastic food to feed a huge greek family only for some fool give thanks to god. God!? What did he have to do with it?

"My Mother, who art in the kitchen hallowed be thy name..."

• Chimene
    Chimene
    Religiosity has a strong genetic component and you are either born with it, or you are'nt

That makes alot of sense to!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

It makes no sense at all! Religion is in your genes!! Oh please.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am not so sure of a genetic component, but I know for sure it is dependent very heavily on upbringing. If something is all one has ever known, that becomes their paradigm, but that is no different than work where one often hears 'that's the way it's always been'.

People have to learn to challenge not only themselves but also others and really never be satisfied with the status quo, because that is the only way that someone can truly improve and get better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit