WALKING IN THE PATH OF INCREASING LIGHT - WT STUDY

by Mary 135 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I think you all may have missed something. Page 20, paragraph 20, says, "In addition to the organizational and doctrinal refinements, there have been refinements with regard to Christian conduct. For example, in 1973 the use of tobacco was seen as a "defilement of the flesh" and was to be viewed as serious wrongdoing. (2 Corinthians 7:1) A decade later, the July 15, 1983, issue of the Watchtower clarified our position on the use of firearms. These are just some examples of the increasing light in our time."

Many will remember that tobacco was tolerated for many years although it was emphasized that no tobacco user would survive into the New World and I believe that no tobacco user could have special privileges in the congregation. That changed suddenly with the 1973 article. I believe that it could be similar with firearms. The WT has emphasized that a Christian will not keep a gun for self protection and that anyone who does so will not be given special privileges. I wonder if the new dogma will have to do with firearms--that any JW who has a gun must be disfellowshipped.

Why do I think that? Paragraph 21 tells us that it is going to be a difficult change. "'Accepting a change when it comes and adapting to it can be difficult,' admits one longtime elder. 'Having the right attitude is the key. Refusing to accept a refinement is to be left behind as the organization moves ahead. If I find myself in a situation where changes seem hard to accept, I reflect on Peter's words to Jesus: 'Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life.' Then I ask myself, 'Where shall I go away to--out there into the darkness of the world?' This helps me to hold firmly to God's organization.'"

Any changes regarding conduct have to be something that won't affect the Governing Body in New York. They don't need firearms. But I know plenty of witnesses who go hunting and a lot who admit they would use a firearm if it was necessary to protect their family. I personally thought it was wrong to use a firearm until Clyde showed me Exodus 22:2,3.

Quote from Clyde: Remember the Watchtower is in the liberal left part of the country, they are trying to be politically correct and are being influenced by the environment in which they find themselves.

• LDH
    LDH
    They are losing money over lawsuits and a change in policy could relieve that.....and they could STILL have their no blood policy written the same way they wrote the "voting is OK article" in ' 95. After stating no less than 6 times a witness could vote in good conscience..........to this day dubs STILL will not vote. They can have their cake and eat it too.

Agree with Gumby. Doesn't matter if they win or lose the lawsuit, the expensive part is the suit itself. I really wonder how many active suits against the JW there are. Not everyone is on the internet.

They will most likely write an article that says that CAESAR has once again tightened up on the only true servants of Jehovah, and has FORCED them to follow certain laws (like in Bulgaria). They will make blood a conscience matter in the same way they made voting a conscience matter.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Maybe they realize the younger generation of faithful slaves servants need to know these dates and facts? I dunno. Just a theory.

Alright, Blondie... did you cheat? I'll bet you have that watchtower right in front of you, don't you??*

LOL!

• Calliope
    Calliope

maybe the new enlightenment will have something to do with moving up the 1914 date of jesus' enthronement to something like 1935, then they can reinstate the generation view.

also, the blood issue would be something of interest. i wasn't around during the organ transplant "flipflop" but it must've been huge.

• THE SHOOTIST
    THE SHOOTIST

I don't think the society is going to change anything about blood, donations, or disfellowshipping. The have too much at stake in the blood and disfellowhipping, shunning areas. My guess is they are going to tighten down and police heavier as regards to the internet, using the R/F to tattle on one another using ploys like loyalty to Jehovah and his organization. Taking more control over the personal lives of witnesses and really coming down hard on secular education such as college, as well as the viewing of educational channels on T.V.. They may go so far as to tell you that talking about certain subjects and expressing any opinion other than WT approved will be considered a judicial infraction. They may also make some announcement that due to a decrease in new converts with no increases in many countries that the preaching work is over in certain areas and that the publishers are to draw in close and witness only to friends and family they feel may be deserving. It time to start loading the animals and the family on the ark of salvation because Jehovah is soon to close the door. A stronger cultistic agenda stressing loyalty and that everything outside is Satan's system at work will in my opinion allow them to hold on a little longer while they use this as an excuse to downsize and take the profits from real-estate sales. Does anyone else feel the same way?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Ooh wicked far fetched but to see the internet be "banned" like an R-Rated movie or something would be fantastic. It's really REALLY far fetched I know, but imagine the horror stories of kids having to stand outside the classroom when the teacher does internet research LOL.

• Calliope
    Calliope
    It time to start loading the animals and the family on the ark of salvation because Jehovah is soon to close the door. A stronger cultistic agenda stressing loyalty and that everything outside is Satan's system at work will in my opinion allow them to hold on a little longer while they use this as an excuse to downsize and take the profits from real-estate sales. Does anyone else feel the same way?

interesting view. my initial thought was something similar to Jonestown.

(shivers)... scary.

• serendipity
    serendipity

What problem would the WTS like to solve by introducing new light? This may be far fetched, but what if they start pushing titheing to offset declining contributions?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

As promised... here is the original talk, Walking in the Path of Increasing Light, which was given at the 2004 Walk With God District Convention.

The next talk, Keep on the Watch the Hour of Judgement has Arrived, is announced in a manner that makes it seems as though it contains "new light", so I have included it for download. This talk was used to introduce the new Keep on the Watch brochure, so perhaps the brochure has some "new light" that we did not notice. Hopefully some of you may be able to find it upon closer examination.

Download Audio:

Walking in the Path of Increasing Light - 2004 Walk With God District Convention (8.3 MB)
    Keep on the Watch the Hour of Judgement has Arrived - 2004 Walk With God District Convention (16.9 MB)

Keep on the Watch brochure

Read the convention program:

Program, page 1 Program, page 2 Program, page 3 Program, page 4 Program, page 5 Program, page 6 Program, page 7 Program, page 8

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

The reinstatement thing might make a bit of sense. It is change they could sneak in without making too many waves.

Being that they are losing so many young ones to "the world" and they hardley ever return maybe they are going to make it easier for them to return to the flock. Maybe they will say that it would be OK talk to them at the meetings now (encourage them). I always thought that it was not very encouraging for those Dfd who made the effort to come to the meetings and then no one would speak to them when they were there--who wants to come back to that treatment?

A policy change like this could open up the way for some other changes, which could make the Org more appealing to the general market, since they are losing a lot of customers with their current doctrines. Either that or they are going to clamp down even harder keeping on with the hard line.

cybs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit