Nearly a week smoke-free, and I am MOODY!!!

by AlmostAtheist 73 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

So I started smoking again.

I didn't exactly fail under weakness. I decided to take it up again since it makes me happy. When I decided to quit a month or so ago, I had the happiness to spare. But things have taken a dive for the worse and I know I can turn to my little friends for a cheap boost. Sad, but true.

When things flatten out again, maybe I'll take another run at it. The gum definitely made it quittable for me. If I wanted to stay off of the things, I could do it with the gum. But for now, I don't want to quit.

Thanks for all your encouragement. Don't be disappointed for me, I'm good.

Dave

• luna2
    luna2

Sorry things in your life are sour right now. When you're depressed/sad/unhappy its hard to give up something that gives you pleasure. Hope the trouble passes swiftly.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Keep trying!

I'm currently into my fourth smoke free day. I'm using the patch along with Zyban, and so far it's working. If I get a craving, which isn't too often I pop a cinnamon flavoured gum into my mouth. I'm also trying to be a bit more active physically which also helps to reduce cravings. http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/zyban/zyban.htm - info about Zyban

W

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear life is not too good right now, and also that you are back on the cigarettes. I know how hard it is to quit, and not everyone makes it at the first or even second attempt. It took me a while when I wanted to become a jw, probably delayed my baptism by 6 months, and dedpoet has had several failed attempts in the last few years. The last one lasted 7 weeks, then he had a couple and within a week was back on 20 a day, so your'e not alone in failure. He's been on about trying again soon, but I think he's still smoking (he's working away at present, back in a few days I hope, missing him).

Keep trying, you'll do it one day

love

Linda

btw, I must confess to having had the odd one since I da'd, but it's not become a habit

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I'm currently into my fourth smoke free day.

That's great, FF! Keep it up!

I found the nicotine to be the controller, so using the patch is a wonderful idea. The gum was good for me because whenever the desire for a cigarette hit me, I had something else to get and do. The impulse was "get a cigarette and smoke it, feel better". The gum replaced that with "get a piece of gum, chew it, feel better". It was working.

Good luck!

Dave

• bebu
    bebu

AA, I hope you can reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke daily, just so that it's a notch easier next time. You can still be working toward quitting, even when you are still smoking.

Good luck to all who have this goal. It's a rough one to attain!

bebu

• greendawn
    greendawn

Oh well a stressful situation can undermine one's determination, but there will always be time for another try. BTW how much do cigarettes cost in the USA?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    BTW how much do cigarettes cost in the USA?

It varies from state to state. In Ohio, they're $4-6 a pack. The ones I like are $6, the ones I can tolerate are $4. (There are even some $3 and unders, but good heavens, even smokers should have standards!!!)

Dave

• chrissy
    chrissy

hi dave,

im happy you're happy. ;)

if smoking brings you pleasure....enjoy.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I seem to recall an article in the literature...............................

Would it be horrible for me to mention that my future father in law was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer a few months ago? He was given 4-8 months to live. I can not tell you what it feels like to spend time with that family right now. Which we are doing at every opportunity, even though we live in Calif and they in Penn. We will be making our third trip since mid november at the end of this month. I also feel so damn cheated! These people are just wonderful, and I have not had nearly enough time with them.

Sorry AA, I'm sure this is not the kind of thing you want to hear, but it is so close to my heart right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit