Nearly a week smoke-free, and I am MOODY!!!

by AlmostAtheist 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hell, I'll break you of your cigarette addiction! I call it the Closet Addiction Cure.

It works very simple... I just chain you up and lock you in a closet for a month. When I let you out, you're cured! Edited... Oops! Misspelled "Addiction".

• willowmoon
    willowmoon
    Hell, I'll break you of your cigarette addiction! I call it the Closet Addition Cure.

Great idea! That ought to take care of the moodiness too

• greendawn
    greendawn

Keep it up and and soon the brain chemistry will change and you will be able to rediscover interest in everything you want to do. It's just a passing phase, the important thing is not to rely on substances for a sense of well being.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hey Dave, I quit about a week after the last time I saw you, which was about 2 months ago I think. I went and got a book on self-hypnosis from the library, did what it said to do in the "quit smoking" chapter, and I haven't looked back. I don't even think about it. One part of the hypnosis that has stuck with me was when I, according to what the book had outlined, imagined myself smoking and having it taste really horrible, like licking the inside of a chimney. So now every time the thought of smoking even lightly flutters into my consciousness (which isn't often at all) I immediately get an image of my mouth being full of black char saliva, and my mouth is so full of it that it's oozing down my chin. I know that's disgusting but it's very effective.

I think patches/gum/etc. are a waste, because it's like a cocaine addict injecting instead of snorting. You're still hooked! I'd like to see some statistics on their effectiveness from a neutral source. (I'm too lazy to Google for it right now and not sure if I'd find anything honest anyway considering that the fox is guarding the henhouse regarding medical research these days)

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

When I was trying to cut down on chocolates I just reasoned with myself that in 1 minute it's all going to be gobbled and I'll be right back where I started craving for chocolate. What's that 1 minute going to do? I convinced myself of that as it was true and it worked - I could have chocolate lying about and not touch it or want it.

• atypical
    atypical

Keep it up, man. You'll feel so good when you beat it. Just don't try to replace it with another habit, go with all the advice on putting that interest into other hobbies.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Hey, Almost, how are you doing with this?

Sherry

• Mr.Beaker
    Mr.Beaker

I think one day if i get a partner, at night im going to put low dose nicotine patches on their back without them knowing. Slowly over time i'll increase the strength of the patch, that way if we ever break up and the patches stop, they will think they are addicted to me and come pining back....

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Mr Beaker that will only make them addicted to nicotine not you - YOU BANANA!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>that way if we ever break up and the patches stop, they will think they are addicted to me and come pining back....

As long as their brain believes the "charge" is coming from you, they'll be totally addicted to you! Great idea! (After all, my brain believed it was the inhaling of carcinogens that was making it high, and it demanded it!)

Thanks for asking, Sherry! I'm now addicted to the gum, as far as I know. (Haven't tried to stop yet) But at least I'm not smoking! I may try to break the gum using Dan's make-it-seem-gross technique. But that's not any time soon.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit