Nearly a week smoke-free, and I am MOODY!!!

by AlmostAtheist 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Will Power
    Will Power

ps:

An article I read really helped set my mind right. "Why bad beliefs don't die".

If you're interested, I think I still have a copy, or maybe even a link.

basically it explains how the addictive cycle works.

when you deprive your body from the drug (or whatever) your brain goes into survival mode.

it will do just about anything & everything to get what it needs cause it thinks it'll die without it!

did you see Trainspotting? yuck -

wp

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Keep up the good work dave!
    Two people I am very close with have suffered badly from their smoking. One died this past year, the other had an operation and is now on chemo. It's not pretty. It may be hard to quit, but is well worth it in the long run. My best wishes to you.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

You're spot on with that "survival mode" stuff, WP. Your brain tries everything to subvert your efforts. The last time I quit, I tracked it all and tried to catch my brain doing those things. It was quite an experience.

You can catch all that excitement here: Watching an addicted brain is fun! (quitting smoking)

Dave

• Poztate
    Poztate
    For instance, some days JWD seems so alive and full of interesting stuff. I can't pull my eyes away from it all! Today, nothing looks interesting.

How can you say that....I was on JWD today...I was interesting...honest..

To be serious.Hang in there.Smoking is a VERY HARD habit to break.

I have been there and done that. It is all worth while in the end...POZ..

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

OH Dave...Hang in there. I feel for you.

• Scully
    Scully

Have some chocolate. It works whenever I'm feeling cranky. Actually, the best (read: almost calorie free) chocolate fix I ever had was some Dutch Chocolate flavored coffee... all the taste and caffeine... without the extra 10 lbs that come with regular chocolate consumption. Now if only someone would invent one of those melt on your tongue flavor thingies in chocolate flavor..... (there's a project for you to take your mind off the fact that you're trying to quit smoking! )

Seriously though, I have a lot of respect for anyone who can go through smoking cessation. I've never smoked, mainly because I was terrified of how hard it would be to quit... and because I could always find something better to spend my money on.

Dave... maybe once you're off the patch/gum/smokes all together, try putting the money you would have spent into a piggy bank every day, and then deposit that into a savings account every week. Then buy yourself something cool (like a 42" plasma TV) this time next year with the money you've saved....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

try putting the money you would have spent into a piggy bank every day, and then deposit that into a savings account every week. Then buy yourself something cool

Thats how I quit smoking too - there has to be a reward at the end

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I've never smoked cigarettes, but my daughter recently quit after almost 10years smoking. She used the patches. She said the cravings were gone, the few times she felt the need for a cigarette it would be because she forgot the patch or it fell off.

But even though she said she didn't crave a cigarette.........I remember the first few days she would call me crying, alot. She was very moody. Then she went though a period of depression. She said she felt like she had lost her best friend. The one that was always there for her day and night, good days and bad days.

By the third week she had a new outlook on life. I remember she came bouncing in here and said smell my hair. I smelt her hair. I said ...um Yea? She said it smells like shampoo....

I'm proud of her. It's been about 6months now. Now she has turned in to a X-smoker....you know the kind that make remarks about others smoking.

Good luck Dave...keep it up.

lisa

• Legolas
    Legolas

Oh Almost.....I've been there done that and am smoking again!

Hang in there. I am going to be quiting again someday...It is way to expensive to smoke here, it is over $82 here for 8 packs(A carton) of cigarettes and we go through 2 cartons a week!

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

legolas...

$82 here for 8 packs(A carton) of cigarettes and we go through 2 cartons a week!

OMG...OMG

Are you serious?

Anyhoo...I just popped in to say hang in there Dave. !! I know it is terribly hard and I have not kicked that habit. I even tried publicly on this board...still.. so do not give up. Most important is if you slip...keep trying immediately. Don't just give into it. And too if you have gone this many days, you can do it!! Almost there...mind over matter now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit