THE NEWS IS BIGGER THAN DATELINE, BBC, CBC, ETC.

by AndersonsInfo 1093 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Quotes
    Quotes

Like most, I am intrigued and look forward to this announcement. However, remember that WTS has survived numerous scandals in the past.

- WTS was wrong about: 1914, 1925, 1975 would mark the start of the New System (tm).
    - luxurious mansions in California and upsate New York for the exclusive use of the cult's leader (Rutherford)
    - pyriamidology was once a key belief; it is now considered occult and pagan. IOW, their religion is based on paganism; but there is no contradiction.
    - vacinnations were once "a violation of God's law"; now they are OK
    - organ transplants were once cannibalism; now they are OK
    - Russell said that if they ever had to pass a hat asking for money, it would be a sign they don't have Divine Blessing; JWs now *ROUTINELY* subjected to lenghty talks (i.e. indoctrination programs) where they are pestered for money and presented with novel ways to give their estate to WTS
    - African JWs were allowed to be slaughtered for refusing a "political party card"; meanwhile Mexican JWs were given explicit permission to use illegal bribes to purchase a "Military Service Card/Cartilla"
    - after years of study, the French gov't removes tax-free status from dozens and dozens of "religions" which it has determined are "cults". WTS judged to owe back-taxes. Instead of "paying Ceasar's things to Ceasar" (hey, that is a catchy phrase!! Who said that???), they simply move out of the country, bills unpaid. They then try and pretend they were forced out due to Catholic backed government persecution. (I assume their business model can not survive being taxed like every other normal publishing business). BTW, suggesting that the Catholic influences the strongly Secular French gov't is like suggesting that Catholics run the WTS -- there is no way it could happen in a million years.
    - United Nations is the Wild Beast(tm); but WTS obtained approved association with that Beast(tm); meanwhile you could be DF'd for working out at the YMCA because on the grounds you are associating with God's enemies. There is no contradiction.
    - WTS clear and explicit written policy is grossly slanted in such a way to neglect child victims of sexual abuse and prevent sexual predators from being brought to justice or investigated by trained, competent experts. As a result, there is mountains of documented evidence of longtime repeat offenders preying for years with impunity and hiding within the safe confines of the JW community.

Don't get me wrong, it would be GREAT to add to this list. Every one of these "Revelations" has helped free some people from the stifling grip of Watchtowerism. I'm just a little too jaded to get my hopes about the potential impact any new revelaions could have.

Although there is that story about the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Look at it this way. Maybe it won't be a massive collapse. Maybe it will cause "only" 30,000 or 40,000 people to drop out. Think about it. That would be a BIG WIN in my book. Remember, the battle will be won small steps at a time....slowly but surely. Who knows. Maybe we could get lucky and it would cause 250,000 people to stop believing.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I don't have high expectations, because as someone else said they have pretty powerful lawyers and manage to weasel out of almost everything. It would be great to finally have that straw that broke the camel's back. However, I think of my parents and at their age and with their slavish devotion all these years I think it would kill them literally to have the ground (their faith in the WTS) swept away. They would be in denial no matter how big it was.

Still, I'll be watching and hoping!!

Sherry

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Barbara,

Is this news that will be seen by the public in general that will really catch their attention? The Ray Franz thing was a nothing article in the religion section of time magazine. They could miss it easily. Yes Dateline was big, but on the whole most people changed the channel. A circuit overseer once said that the R/F talked more about that program than the householders. In fact, he'd never had one householder bring it up, but all the witnesses did. Maybe that is an even better result.

Will this coming expose' news bring national, international or local attention?

Why do you torment us thusly, you little manx?

W.Once

• Jourles
    Jourles

Don't get me wrong, but if this news is on par or a *little* better than a UN scandal or pedophile issue, the WTS will have a way to spin it. Is this "news" already done, ready to be released? Or will it simply be shown here on the board for the first time? If we learned anything from the previous scandals, we know that ALL BASES need to be covered as far as what loopholes the WTS could find to wiggle out of. The WTS used the library card excuse immediately after the Bates correspondence. If the library card theory could have been eliminated right from the start, before the news was released, where could they go then? Do you see what I'm talking about?

I just hope the WTS will have no wiggle room to spin whatever this news is. It needs to be black & white. Again, don't misunderstand my stance on this. I would be one of the first people to spread this news far and wide once it gets released. I would just prefer to keep my hopes low because I know how well JR Brown works the crowd. If the news is phenomenal and the WTS gets seriously hurt by it, well, I'll be much happier because I won't be expecting it.

Looking forward to it nevertheless.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'll bet it is the GREAT TRIBULATION,

and that it is going to come invisibly,

and that it will have no discernable effect on the secular world,
    but it will lay low the walls around the "Spiritual Paradiseā„¢"
    at the Armageddon Theme Park in Brooklyn NY

"Listen to us now, and believe us later... we're going to PUMP you UP!"
    - Brothers Hans & Franz Musclebilder

• Ticker
    Ticker

Let me guess their completely abandoning any 1914 theology. Who knows but I agree with qoutes I dont think its going to be their downfall but it may help put another nail in their coffin. Look at how people sucked up, swallowed, and forgot "the creators promise that the generation who saw 1914" when it was abandoned. I feel they will do much the same no matter how radical the reformation in their doctrines and teachings. Still looking very forward to this news though.

Ticker

• mouthy
    mouthy

"the creators promise that the generation who saw 1914

What about how many of us hung on to 1975????

• avishai
    avishai

So many skeptics. Listen folks, Dateline, the UN scandal, etc., brought a helluva lotta folks out, including SEVERAL on this board.

Yes, there are brainwashed suckers for punishment that will NEVER leave the JW's. Duh.

But these kinda news things bring out the SMART ones. OK? The ones that can benefit the most anyway. Or the hurt ones, who will finally get help on the outside.

*Avi, of the prefers to be hopeful than cynical class*

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

millions now living will die?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit