Of Late Many Here Seem To Be Preaching Aethiesm..

by Qcmbr 167 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

While the forum is open to any to post varying views I believe those whose skepticism carries to the point of disbelief in God should at least post in a way that demonstrates their awareness of the purpose behind posting here. Devout Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Oak-Grove Worshippers, Witches, and Mystics should keep it in mind as well.

It rarely helps someone recover from JWism to force any new idea into their mind with harsh words or personal criticisms. Most people who read these pages are lurkers. That means it isn't just about the person you are responding to, it's about the impacts of your words on the 50 other people who read the discussion that are too terrified of discovery to post.

AuldSoul

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I agree that this cuts both ways - I've found myself trading verbal punches far too often and I often read back what I posted and I get quite upset that not only did I post it but that I let myself post in response to something - fire is not always fought best with fire. I normally lack the courage and integrity to just walk away and end up posting on a nasty par with someone else.

Sometimes I don't like what I see myself posting because I worry that maybe that is who I really am or at least run the risk of becoming. Obviously I'm religious through and through but I find myself getting(thinking?) more fundamentalist in the face of intimidating pressure to justify my beliefs rather than trying to steer the liberal course of having principles but having common sense,logic and faith on a leash so I'm not ruled by any one alone but they are tools for me.

I just feel able to communicate and listen when people have an opinion but use respect - even when that opinion is radical. There have been plenty of religious personal assaults as well - its hard not to get drawn in.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Become an Atheist or Gawd will kill you!!!

Prove yourself God or an Atheist will kill you

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I totally agree with you that it is rude for people of dissenting views to hi-jack a thread that is of interest to you. IMHO it seems to be going on a lot lately!!! Some of the posters just run rough-shod over others and get completely off the subject material!

Swalker

• Scully
    Scully

I'd like to think that almost all of us are mature adults and can put aside our differences of opinion on which belief system(s) are right or wrong.

I know quite a few have embraced another belief system after leaving the JWs, and if it works for them and their spirituality as individuals, I have no issue with it unless they use that point of view to denigrate others or if they find others somehow deficient for not believing the same as they do.

That goes the same with atheism. I don't see people shoving atheism down others' throats - only perhaps challenging the theist point of view. That does not constitute an attack, particularly if it is done politely and respectfully. I've also seen atheists who parody the theist point of view - and this again, does not constitute an attack on Christianity or any other belief system.

Provided that people are generally nice and respectful of each other, why should atheists be quiet about their beliefs (or lack thereof)? Are atheists really so offensive to Christian sensibilities? Puhlease!! Have you ever considered that every time a Christian says they are going to pray for an atheist, that it is offensive to them? It's as rude to the atheist as it would be for the Satanist to say they are going to offer a sacrificial goat on the Christian's behalf.

As an atheist/humanist myself, I think that almost all people generally strive to be good. I think that all people do the best they can, with the information/knowledge they have, within the limits of their circumstances. I don't believe that people need god in order to be good, moral or ethical people. I find that "godly" people who live their life being good in order to bribe a heavenly reward from god, is quite a selfish outlook. I want to be a good person just because it's the right thing to do; I don't need a reward from god or approval from god. How we got here is in the past. Where we are going is in the future. Both are beyond my control, so I don't waste time or gray matter worrying about it. I know what I can control and I know how I can be a positive influence to others without bringing god into the picture. If you can find anything wrong with those things and wish to waste your precious time analyzing the "wrongness" of my life, go right ahead. It's not going to change the way I live my life one bit.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I may have misunderstood but I thought the main point was:

One thing that makes me sad about here is that the professed friendliness of many here is sadly revealed as an utter sham (unless you agree with them) and those who use this place as an excuse to bully, call names and wallow in their own crapulence soon reveal their real 'loving' side as soon as a anyone dares disagree. I think that most here are still genuine, nice people bonding together well after a shared trauma but there are some real loud shouters here who have altered the feel in the air IMO.

It should be o.k. to AGREE TO DISAGREE but not o.k. to put a stop to a thread that others are truly interested in, by disrupting it! If you are an atheist then you should have a right to discuss it verses giving others the right to discuss their beliefs. IMHO it does seem to me that the athiests are shouting the loudest lately...maybe we should do a poll on that!

Swalker

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I for one find the overall diversity and balance of this board very interesting and helpful. A pro-religious and an anti-religious board would quickly have me bored to death.

I very much agree with the need for respect of persons which I find entirely compatible with a free, uncensored debate of ideas.

To misquote Paul: may unbelievers not despise believers, and believers not pass judgement on unbelievers...

• Scully
    Scully
    IMHO it does seem to me that the athiests are shouting the loudest lately

Feel free to provide URLs of example where you feel this is happening.

• John Doe
    John Doe

This sort of vile, venom-filled refuse exists in every board. Saying that one side or the other is the ring leader is non beneficial, nor provable. I suggest everyone do what I do, since I'm perfect. lol Discuss your veiws seriously only with those who reciprocate your respect. Ignore any discussion where you feel unappreciated. If you feel a need to correct a misunderstanding or squelch an attack, do so in a reasonable and consistent manner, but never lose your ability to evaluate your own veiws analytically, and don't be afraid to admit whne you don't know something or suspect you're wrong. If everyone honestly tried to do these things, there would be no petty bickering. But alas, no matter how hard we try, nut trees grow in every country. Ignore them. (incidentally, I currently consider myself agnostic but am considering going to a few different churches to get a feel for different religions. I don't hold concretely with any one view.)

• z
    z

I for one find the overall diversity and balance of this board very interesting and helpful. A pro-religious and an anti-religious board would quickly have me bored to death.

I very much agree with the need for respect of persons which I find entirely compatible with a free, uncensored debate of ideas.

To misquote Paul: may unbelievers not despise believers, and believers not pass judgement on unbelievers

If anyone put it right you did Narkissos I have differed point of view of many here but at the same time I like to see it and read it

Z

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit